The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2014, 05:57 PM   #1
old fart

asking again to see any changes.

with the warmer weather, i'll be hiking soon in the woods. i have a pardner pump protector 18.5 inch barrel, its my only gun for protection and will be carrying it. it weighs 7 1/2 lbs with factory stock and forearm, if i put on a hogue pistol grip only and a tac star forgrip the gun weighs 4.75 lbs. i save almost 3lbs which would be easier to carry, so what would ya'll do? if this was your only protection gun to carry in the woods, keep the factory stock at 7.5lbs or pistol grip at 4.75lbs? thanks
Old February 18, 2014, 11:43 PM   #2
big al hunter

I would keep the factory stock. Pistol grips are lighter, and easier to fit in a backpack. As far as I am concerned that is where the benefits end and the negatives start. It makes them harder to aim...... can't hit what you aim for might as well be shooting your own foot. In a defensive situation in the woods I want something I can shoot fast, hit what I want and that is easiest with a gun tight to your shoulder.
Old February 19, 2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Corrections Cop

You could go with an AR Style stock, light than the wood, and it has a pistol grip and a shoulder stock, then put nice light plastic forend on it..
Old February 19, 2014, 01:06 PM   #4
g.willikers

Some manufacturers have lightened their shotguns buy removing quite a lot of wood from inside the stocks.
Instead of a hole where the stock screw holds the stock to the action, the stock is really hollowed out.
You could do that if synthetic stocks aren't agreeable.