The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2006, 02:19 PM   #1
LoadIt

Making .22lr rounds inert?

Hey there, I have a handfull of .22lr rounds that are bad. I had a faulty magazine and the rounds jammed so bad that the brass got dented. No way to shoot them so I was wondering how to deactivate the primers. The bullets are still loaded. Right now I have them soaking in a zip-lok baggie that I sprayed penetrating oil into. Think this will work? I really don't want to just toss live rounds into the trash.
Old October 25, 2006, 02:21 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

pull the bullets, dump the powder.
Old October 25, 2006, 02:27 PM   #3
LoadIt

How do I go about pulling bullets on rimfires?
Old October 25, 2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Clayfish

With little effort you can do it wiht your bare hands. With one hand hold the casing between your thumb and forefinger and with the other grasp the bullet and push perpendicular firmly and slowly. The bullet will slide out of the casing. Clean the penetrating oil off first or this will be hard to do.
Old October 25, 2006, 05:31 PM   #5
hazrd

hands?

maybe its just me, but that is what I did back in high school looking for a way to light stuff on fire in the yard, (oops, there go my eyebrows, and other fun gunpowder stories)

While I may be a polluter, I am a fan of dropping them in the ocean while on a nice fishing trip....its an excuse to go fishing too.
Old October 26, 2006, 12:43 AM   #6
PointOneSeven

How much damage can a non-chambered round do in the back of a trash truck? We're talking no oomph behind it at all. It'll be more dangerous to fool with it than to throw it out. You've done your part (oil), now toss them!
Old October 26, 2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Travismaine

Quote:
How much damage can a non-chambered round do in the back of a trash truck? We're talking no oomph behind it at all. It'll be more dangerous to fool with it than to throw it out. You've done your part (oil), now toss them!
I could kill somebody. While there is not a big chance of this it COULD. Rule # 1 be safe..

Travis
Old October 26, 2006, 02:26 AM   #8
tINY

I usually dospose of my defective 22 rounds in the camp fire.

just keep you safety glasses on and make sure there is a good ring of stones around the pit.

-tINY

Old October 26, 2006, 11:13 AM   #9
LoadIt

Campfire?! Wholey Crap. Maybe I'll just find a nice roll-off dumpster and do a "drive-by".
Old October 26, 2006, 06:48 PM   #10
AngusPodgorney

You could always bury them.
Old October 26, 2006, 07:18 PM   #11
firechicken

I'd just toss 'em. A while back, I was at an outdoor range early in the morning while one of the workers was cleaning up the range. Picking up trash, and burning it it 55 gal barrels. I heard several rounds cook off (mostly 22LR I'm sure). They sounded like firecrackers. No big deal. No way for the rounds to make much pressure without a chamber and barrel (rifle or pistol barrel, not trash barrel ). The worker acted like it was very "normal", and was not concerned. He did about crap his pants when I fired my first round of the day (full power 44 Mag). I think I caught him by suprise.
Old October 26, 2006, 07:46 PM   #12
XavierBreath

A can of automatic transmission fluid works. Drop them in, the fluid seeps in between the bullet and casing.
Old October 28, 2006, 01:11 AM   #13
jaysouth

Lay them on something hard and hit them one at a time with a hammer, heavier the better. Wear ear protection.

Or, simply throw them in the trash.
Old October 28, 2006, 01:49 AM   #14
Diggers

The box o truth had something about ammo cooking off. They shot mags full of .223 and AK ammo to see if it could stop a round. Nope it couldn't but it did cook a few off. The bullet just gets pushed out as does the primer and the powder then just burns off. Of course there was another hole in the case also.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot9.htm
Old October 28, 2006, 02:11 AM   #15
mrawesome22

Throw them in a fire. Watch the fireworks. It's pretty entertaining. If you've ever thrown limestone rocks in a fire, it has about the same effect. Don't stand near the fire though.
Old October 28, 2006, 08:06 AM   #16
Skeet69

Just bury them! (easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.)
Old October 30, 2006, 04:04 PM   #17
Baphomet

Last time I had several boxes of ammo to get rid of, my local police station was kind enough to take them off my hands.

Nowhere near as exciting as dumping them in a campfire, I admit, but effective nonetheless. Just a thought.
Old November 4, 2006, 06:43 PM   #18
wilsoncqb/steyrTE

if your scared of em just go to local shooting range and they usually have a bin for it.