The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 11, 2014, 04:23 PM   #1
TheFineLine

My ongoing Rossi debacle

I bought a NIB Rossi 92 lever in 44 mag around Christmas 2012.

February 2013 I finally get it out to the range and after the first 15 rounds or so the ejector stopped working. I sent it in, they fixed and returned in about 2 weeks.

April 2013, I took it to the range, put another 15 or so through it and the mag tube is sticking 2 inches out past the muzzle. I sent it in, they fixed and returned it about 2 weeks later.

May 2013, I took it out and lo and behold, 15 rounds in the mag tube pops back out. I've shot it three times and its failed each time even after two factory 'repairs'. I'm thoroughly disgusted. I talked to them today. I told them I'm done with this rifle. They can take it back and either give me a full refund or give me a new rifle. I don't want one of their 92 models. I told them I’d like a Rio Grande 30-30 instead (same price).

August 2013 So I got the same rifle back today. It has a new barrel and mag tube however the barrel is all scratched to hell in front of and behind the rear sight and the metal ring that holds it all together is also scratched up. I called them again and asked how a rifle on its 3rd trip back could be sent out without any qc. Well I have another fedex label and its on its way back now for its 4th repair trip.. Just thoroughly disgusted with rossi. I mean really what the heck, man.

September 2013, So I missed the call but got the message today that they are replacing the rifle with a Rio Grande 30-30. They said to call back with FFL info and they'd ship one right out. I'm glad they are trying to make it right. I called back with the FFL info and it turns out though that the Rio Grande 30-30 is on backorder but they should have it within 6 weeks. Well, it’s been almost a year so what’s another 6 weeks.

January 2014 (yeah, not 6 weeks) , I got in the rifle. At cursory inspection it looks good. I put it up until I get a chance to go shoot it.
February 2014 I ordered a scope to put on it and got it in today. I pull out the rifle and begin to level the scope and realize that the magazine tube angles out almost 30 degrees to the side at the end of the barrel and it looks like someone may have removed some of the wood where the mag tube exits the wood foregrip just to get it to fit. I have a new fedex label………………………………..

I will never ever again buy another Rossi product, ever.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old February 11, 2014, 04:31 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Well, I've been thinking about getting one of these and I'm glad I read your post. Even though it's sort of a rant, it's well worded, provides good facts, and you were quite reasonable with them....more than reasonable. Thank you for the info, I'm not even going to consider getting one now. I'll pay the extra bucks and get something else. I've never been a fan of them anyway.
Old February 11, 2014, 05:27 PM   #3
std7mag

hmmm, was considering getting one of their Model 92's in .357Mag.
Think I'll go with a different manufacturer on this one.
Thanks for the posting!!!

Std7mag
Old February 11, 2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I will never ever again buy another Rossi product, ever
That sucks man. If you can, get your money back and run far away as fast as possible.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Griff, SASS93

3 Rossis in my safe. All worked when new... and after some smoothing and honing of key parts, they're all smooth and consistent carbines. 2 in .38/.357 and 1 in 45Colt. Everybody that manufacturers stuff had Fridays and Mondays... but they sure should've been fixed after going back.

But, I'm more inclined to fix those little factory glitches myself... too little faith in UPS/FedEx, et al!
Old February 12, 2014, 05:22 AM   #6
dos0711

^^^^this!

Rossi are diamonds in the rough. Once you work on them you have an awesome rifle and knowledge of how it works!

I have the .357/38 stainless.

Last edited by dos0711; February 12, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old February 12, 2014, 08:15 AM   #7
ndking1126

What an incredible string of bad luck... hate it for you. Interested in how it works out, so subscribing.
Old February 12, 2014, 09:51 AM   #8
TheFineLine

I have an old Rossi Interarms 38 special snubby and an old Rossi 357 lever. They are both great and run flawlessly. New Braztech/Rossi? Nope, no thanks. I'm an eternal optimist so maybe, MAYBE this time they'll get it right. I'm leaning towards selling it (assuming they do get it right as unlike Rossi I won't sell a firearm that doesn't work or has serious flaws) and getting a Winchester. I bought a great looking piece of metal and wood 15 months ago. I'd really like to have a rifle.

I think maybe Rossi and Century International are sharing drunk monkeys to do their build work.
Old February 12, 2014, 10:13 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I fix minor glitches myself on used guns, but a new gun should work out of the box.

I am glad that Rossi seems to have good CS, but a company's philosophy should be that there should not be a need for CS if the production and QC people do their jobs right. That is in their own interest; look at how much money they spent on shipping and repair of that gun. (Remember the Maytag repairman? That was really true. Maytag may have had lemons, but I never heard of one; those appliances lasted just short of forever.)

Jim
Old February 12, 2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
I fix minor glitches myself on used guns, but a new gun should work out of the box.
I agree. I'm not fixing a brand new gun. That's why I pay brand new prices. If I want to fix one, I'll buy a used one.

It sounds as if Rossi is going the way of so many other companies these days in that their problem response is dictated by a manual that is inviolable. You can see the progression from fix it, fix it again, replace major stuff but not the product to replacing the product. This is the basic outline that many companies now use and it is good indicator that they no longer allow independent thought an/or problem solving.
Old February 12, 2014, 10:40 AM   #11
bustersmaster

James K, Your Maytag anology was good about 10 or 20 years ago. Anymore, I would rather try my luck with Rossi, rather than Maytag. Talk about a company that rested on it's laurels, Maytag has done that.
Old February 12, 2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The Maytag repair man was nothing more than the same propaganda you see in every commercial. Maytag has been one of the LEAST reliable brands (in many categories) for years. Nowdays, the whole industry is just a couple of conglomerates that sell under a whole bunch of brands names. Maytag is part of Whirlpool.

By the way, that's pretty far off topic so let's not go too much farther down that road, eh?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old February 12, 2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Colt46

Mine has had zero issues

'92 Rossi's are held in fair regard by many, many gun owners. Your miserable experience would certainly color loyalty to their brand though.
Old February 12, 2014, 08:06 PM   #14
olyinaz

I have several of them and like them, but the QC is notoriously bad and I would NEVER return one for "service" - it's legendary...in a bad way. A good plan is to buy from a Davidson's dealer because they have a satisfaction-or-exchange guarantee policy (ask your local dealer where they get their Rossis, may be from Davidson's). And when I get one that's not right I make it right myself or I have a good gunsmith that I trust fix it at my expense. Frankly, that's easier than dealing with their unbelievably crummy "customer service".

This guy is reputedly THE national Rossi 92 guru. I can't count the number of good reports I've heard about his work: http://stevesgunz.com/

A smooth and well running Rossi 92 is, like a Winchester 1892, a dream of a rifle. An absolute joy.

Oly
Old February 12, 2014, 10:20 PM   #15
TheFineLine

I called Steve and talked to him about the mag tube popping out after the second time and he said that the clip (?) that holds it in place is notoriously weak and that there are no aftermarket ones that you can buy. The fix was to cut it short and spot weld if I recall correctly and that although you'd lose a round in capacity the mag tube would hold. I got one of his rails for the 357 lever. Nice guy and knows his stuff.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:43 PM   #16
TheFineLine

So they replaced the magazine tube and shipped it back out yesterday. Fingers crossed that they got it right THIS time.
Old February 21, 2014, 05:52 PM   #17
PetahW

FWIW, Steve also sells new Rossi M92's, that he's leaned on with his expertise - A good thing to keep in mind, if someone needs to order a new M92. (and consider, in his "delivered" price)

Old February 22, 2014, 12:53 PM   #18
coldbeer

And people give Marlin lever guns a bad rap because they were bought by Remington and changed factories. My Remlins have been nothing but reliable and accurate.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:14 PM   #19
TheFineLine

So............It came back today. Pics of stainless parts underneath flourescent lights are difficult but this'll give you an idea. They put a 'new' mag tube on it. Those scratches are deep enough that my nails catch on it. I haven't taken it apart but they extend from at least the foreguard to two inches below the end of the tube. (*^&)(&* Rossi. I have another Fedex label. I just will not accept a rifle in this kind of condition and especially after everthing that's happened.

Old February 26, 2014, 09:53 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Mistakes are one thing... but it always blows my mind that a company will let a product back out the door when it's not perfect after they fix these kinds of issues.
Old February 26, 2014, 12:31 PM   #21
ELMOUSMC

Not Mine!

That is a shame,I bought a Rossi 92 about a year and a half ago and have put at least 1500 rounds through it ,both .38 and .357 without any issues at all.It took a little polishing up to get rid of the gritty trigger and some piddling with the sights to get them on the money
It is my truck gun and also goes in the cab of my tractor when I am doing field work,out to about 75 yds it is big medicine for coyotes,feral cats and groundhogs
Its a shame you got a bum one mine works great and there is a fellow up the road that has one in .44mag that works great also,hope you find something that works for you
Old February 26, 2014, 02:09 PM   #22
DPris
Member Emeritus

Cold,
Marlin leverguns don't have a bad rep because Remington bought Marlin & moved the company.
They have a bad rep because far too many of 'em were far too badly built after the move.

Which Remington has acknowledged & spent a lotta money to correct.

The Rossi is a gamble, and they generally need some slicking up for best results, but the Boomerang Model in this thread's gone way beyond.

Both of mine were worked on by Steve & both are slick little guns.
Denis
Old February 26, 2014, 04:13 PM   #23
Uncle Buck

I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in .45 Colt that I absolutely love. It took a little bit to get it to were I was happy, but I am glad I bought it. (About three years ago.)

I was looking at buying another Rossi in .357 Mag and stumbled across this post. Leave it up to you guys to give quality feed back on different items. I appreciate the info you have provided.

I do have to wonder if quality has improved/declined in just the last few years? Maybe they are trying to push as many as they can out with the current market?
Old March 1, 2014, 06:46 AM   #24
Ozzieman

I also have a ranch hand that I picked up several years ago in 44. Most useless gun I have ever bought but the most fun.
I did have some problems at the start but it was easy to fix. It was just filled with grayish grease.
Once that was cleaned it’s been a very good gun and reliable.
I feel your pain man. The problem you’re having is totally unacceptable.
Sometimes it sad that we don’t have a lemon law with guns like we do with cars. Been there with cars but that’s another story.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.