The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 4, 2015, 01:10 PM   #1
nissantech

Need opinions!

Have been lurking around for awhile now and finally joined haha! I have owned multiple guns and currently own 4 but recently been wanting to get a revolver I've chose the taurus 627 .357 or the raging bull .44. I have been reading alot but thought I'd ask I know it's a taurus and this will mainly be a gun for hiking and will not see alot of trigger time because the rounds are pricey I have a 2 semi auto handguns I mainly shoot along with my AR. I just can't decide between the calibers I live in central NC and the only predators I've seen are black bear, cyotes, and hogs. It's just the price deference isn't much defferent between the two revolvers should I go all out for the .44 or just go with the .357? I've shot booth plenty of times and recoil isn't a concern. Thanks in advance!
Old February 4, 2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Boncrayon

Need opinions!

Black Bear is perhaps the largest indigenous creature in that area you might encounter for sure. It's curious, but dangerous if "she" has cubs (as any Mom), or if you mess with them in close quarters. I would never shoot one unless I'm under attack.

A "stare" and lots of noise will typically make it want to retreat. For an attacking Black Bear, the .357 will suffice unless you miss the vital organs the first time. The .44 Mag has more energy in knock/slowdown effect...so accuracy in less shots is more effective in saving your life, since you are already in "tunnel-vision" stance. Bigger is better is this instance, but accuracy is tops!
Old February 4, 2015, 04:32 PM   #3
cole k

JMO, I would look for a used S&W or Ruger .357.
Old February 4, 2015, 04:53 PM   #4
g.willikers

The bigger the better.
But the choice of ammo and bullet is probably more important that the caliber, in choosing between these two.
Old February 4, 2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Wheelie_Fan

If you're looking for a nice .44 Mag, take a peek at the new-ish S&W mod. 69
I have one and really like it.
Old February 4, 2015, 10:06 PM   #6
turkeestalker

Just a little food for thought....
I only own one Taurus revolver, and despite all the negative feelings that abound for them I do have faith in it. It is a stainless model 83 with a four inch barrel. I've enough faith in it that it is currently in the possession of my 82 year old father as a HP/SD tool. I don't know anything personally about the models you're looking at.
I have a Ruger Blackhawk SA that I purchased as a side arm while in the woods. It is the .357 convertible with the 9mm cylinder and a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I don't run into black bears where I live, at least there are so few it has yet to happen and likely never will, though they are spotted on rare occasions. I could see where a double action could be more desirable in a pinch type situation, but I am confident with this platform for myself, actually prefer it to be honest.
I got the revolver used with a quality CAS style belt/holster and vintage Case knife with matching sheath for a very reasonable price. Its a perfect rig to wear while hiking, camping, fishing or what not in the outdoors. Not to mention it is cheap to plink with in 9mm and keep in practice with it.
Bigger is in fact better for sure, but I think a .357 will do what you want it to.
Old February 4, 2015, 10:31 PM   #7
TimSr

If the cost of ammo is a concern, go for the .357. You have the option of plinking and practicing with cheaper .38 special target ammo. Your chances of needing it for a two legged predator are far more likely than all of the other combined, but full power .357 rounds will be sufficient for all.
Old February 4, 2015, 10:42 PM   #8
ATPBULLETS

Hiking..... then you want the 357...big weight difference between it and the raging bull you mentioned.