The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 18, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
hoghunting

Hogue rifle stock

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Hogue rifle stock with the full length bedding block? Their pillar bedded stock has too much flex in the fore end, and I'm hoping the bedding block extending into the fore end takes care of that problem. Thanks for any info.
Old September 18, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
603Country

I bought that Hogue stock with the full length bedding. I like it a lot, though it is heavier than the flimsy synthetic stock that came on my Ruger Hawkeye. I did a little research on stock weight, and the Hogue isn't out of line, unless you spend some really big bucks on the top of the line light aftermarket stocks. What I really liked about it was that the action dropped right in perfectly and I didn't need to do diddly to it. The rifle apparently liked the new stock because my groups really tightened up. So yes, I like it and I'd buy another one. I don't notice any unacceptable flexing at the forend. And if there's any flexing, it doesn't cause any problem with the accuracy. If you are going to put a bipod on it, I don't know if that would cause any problems with stock flex.
Old September 18, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
PawPaw

Can someone give me a link to this stock? It might be just what I'm looking for.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 18, 2012, 04:44 PM   #4
jmr40

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hogue...h-All+Products

They work right well on the 10-22, but I wouldn't have one on a center fire. The ergonomics are all wrong, and they weigh a ton. A typical wood stock weighs about 30-36 oz. The pillar bedded Hogues weigh 36-40 oz. The ones with full bedding block are up to 48 oz.

If on a budget this stock.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...ers/Categories

Is a much better stock at about the same price. They offer what they call a lightweight, around 28-30 oz, for some rifles. Their standard stocks run around 32-36 oz. Heavy compared to some McMillans or other high end stocks at 16-22 oz. but not bad for the money.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
hoghunting

Thanks for all the information as I like the Hogue grips on my revolvers and was interested in the rifle stock. I've decided to stick with the H-S Precision stocks and order another one as I have been very pleased with them. Thanks again.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:38 PM   #6
603Country

I did admit that the Hogue stock was heavier than the flimsy one that came with the rifle, but I really like the ergonomics. It feels good in the hands and has a moderate palmswell - which I like. I also did look up several other stock types and in that price range the weight differences weren't significant. As for laminated wood stocks, the standard ones I've seen and handled are rather heavy. Again, what I wanted was a good stock that was well bedded and would allow an instant drop-in of my Ruger Short Action. I didn't want a Boyd's that I have to fiddle with or have somebody else fiddle with it to get it fit and bedded. I wanted and got instant gratification for a moderate price. I could have gotten more stock, and a lighter synthetic stock, for somewhere between $500 and $600. If this was my absolute primary rifle, I might have done that, but this is my front pasture, by the front door, varmint rifle and the back-up rifle for my super tackdriver 220 Swift. I got what I wanted and I am very satisfied. And, for info sake, I got it from Cabela's catalog, which is also online.