The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 14, 2011, 10:55 PM   #1
blackdog_507

PLEASE thoughts on NEW Winchester 101

I have just purchased brand new a Winchester 101 Sporting Pigeon. This gun has 30" Ported barrels, adjustable comb, and comes with 5 chokes (S, IC, M, IM, LF). This gun is discontinued from Winchester, and as such, is INCREDIBLY cheap. Its so cheap I don't even want to say what I'm paying for it because I don't want to answer questions as to why I'm getting such a good deal. Suffice it to say I probably couldn't buy a used field grade citori with fixed chokes for this price. I've heard that these newer guns are made in the same Belgian factory as new brownings, as FN owns both companies. Here is a link to a retailer who at one point carried the gun: http://hammerbackguns.com/index.php?...oducts_id=3432
I've been wanting an O/U for a long time and didn't think I'd be able to afford a quality gun. While I don't think this is as desirable as other brands, I think this is a great opportunity for me to get into a good gun where I wouldn't be able to normally afford one. If anyone could give me some thoughts, opinions, etc onthis gun, I would appreciate it.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

The new Belgian made 101's I've handled seemed well built.. But the finishing and wood quality was IMO not up to par for the price.. I haven't seen one like yours in person, most of the new 101s I've seen have been the field model.. The finish quality was not up to the standard of the Browning Citori Lighting...
Old April 15, 2011, 12:38 PM   #3
oneounceload

IF it fits you well, and you like it, then you got a deal no matter what you paid. In the past, 101's tended to not fit too many well and there were numerous reports of recoil issues bothering shooters. If they have now patterned the stock dimensions on the same Browning ones, it should be easier on most folks. I do wish they would offer target guns without extra barrel holes - porting isn't needed and is a PITA to clean and the side noise is loud
Old April 15, 2011, 02:51 PM   #4
BigJimP

Sounds like you made a good buy ....

( and oneounce and I debate this often / but I like the ported barrels ..)
it keeps the riff-raff further back / where they belong ...
Old April 15, 2011, 02:54 PM   #5
oneounceload

I KNOW you like them Jim - I just wish they offered it as a choice - "wit, or witout" as they say in Philly cheese steak circles.......
Old April 15, 2011, 03:32 PM   #6
LSnSC

They are decent guns. Much better than the budget O/U's. If you can get it for a decent price jump on it.
Old April 17, 2011, 08:12 AM   #7
blackdog_507

Thanks for the responses

Thanks all. The reason I asked for info is because prior to being presented with this opportunity, I'd never even seen a 101 before, but as I said, I couldn't pass up the deal. I'm happy I got it, and thanks for you input.
Old April 17, 2011, 11:02 AM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Sounds like you made a good buy ....

( and oneounce and I debate this often / but I like the ported barrels ..)
it keeps the riff-raff further back / where they belong ...
I think its better yet with a model 12 with a Cutts on it ... Sounds like a small artillery piece...

Tags
101 , over under , over/under , sporting clays , winchester