The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 13, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1
indybrad

IH M1 Garand ?

When IH made the M1 Gerands, did they put Marlin barrels on some of them? My Father inlaw has one with a Marlin barrel and he said they called them Blue Marlins because of the darker color of bluing on the barrel. He said that the government had problems with some of the other manufacturers barrels. Is this true? Thanks for any info.
Old March 13, 2008, 02:37 PM   #2
wjkuleck

International Harvester Co. M1 Garand w/Marlin barrel

Yes, and it's spelled

Garand ...

During WWII Marlin filled a spares order for barrels; these were blue, much like the Gillette razor blades of the time, hence, "blue Marlin."

The early '50's Marlin barrels were Parkerized. I have one. IHC's barrel supplier, Line Material Co., never had a barrel problem. However, Springfield Armory (the real one, not the commercial company in IL that has appropriated the name) itself had a batch of bad barrels, hence you will find SA, LMR (Line Material), Marlin, and Buffalo Arms barrels on early Springfield and IHC Garands. They are by no means common, however.

Your barrel will probably have a date on the right side, visible with the operating rod open.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old March 13, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
indybrad

Thanks for the info. So, are these guns worth more than a Gerand with the other manufacturers barrels?
Old March 14, 2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Tim R

Indybrad...your GARAND spelling is incorrect.

More value? Depends on who wants it. The best of the best shooting barrels were the Danish VAR's.
Old March 14, 2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Swampy1

Quote:
So, are these guns worth more than a Gerand with the other manufacturers barrels?
Well, maybe..... but only for a collector who just happened to be Jones'n for one for it's oddball character....

The Marlin M1 barrels are certainly not known for best accuracy.....

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever
Old March 14, 2008, 09:12 AM   #6
indybrad

Thanks for all the info.
Old March 16, 2008, 06:08 PM   #7
RAKER5

IH Garand

The following is all I know on this subject.

In marine corp boot camp in 1960 I was issued a brand new IH Garand. We did not get M14 until 1965. At the range I could not qualify and I tried very hard with a DI screaming he was going to kill me. He finally tried my rifle, looked at it and said IH should stick to tractors. He got me a very used springfield, pitted barrel and I shot expert everytime we fired for qualifaction as long as I had this rifle.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Swampy1

Quote:
In marine corp boot camp in 1960 I was issued a brand new IH Garand. We did not get M14 until 1965. At the range I could not qualify and I tried very hard with a DI screaming he was going to kill me. He finally tried my rifle, looked at it and said IH should stick to tractors. He got me a very used springfield, pitted barrel and I shot expert everytime we fired for qualifaction as long as I had this rifle.
Raker,

Your experience with a bad IHC just proves the exception to the rule.

Most original IHC's came from the factory with an LMR barrel, which are widely regarded as probably the most accurate GI production M1 barrel ever made. Many National Match M1's were built up with LMR barrels.

It's a sure thing that every rifle maker puts out the unintentional lemon now and again.... It sure looks like you were issued one back then....

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever
Old January 23, 2010, 11:12 PM   #9
nitro4blood

M1

Hey,

I just bought a SA M1 with a 42XXX serial number with a LMR marked barrel. Is that a common thing or not? If I'm reading the post correct, it might be a little rare? Thanks in advance
Old January 24, 2010, 12:16 AM   #10
az_imuth

Although this is an old thread, I may be able to answer your question. Your M1 was manufactured sometime in 1940. LMR barrels were used in the early to mid 1950's, and almost entirely on IHC's. Your rifle has been rebarreled at least once in the past, possibly more than once being such an early reciever.

You should have a good shooter since LMR barrels are well known for exhibiting more than average accuracy.

Congrats on your very early M1!
Old January 24, 2010, 12:57 AM   #11
nitro4blood

Thanks for the info! Yea it looks like the barrel was made in 1952. I can't wait to shoot it. I have wanted a M1 for a long time and finially found a deal on one.
Old January 24, 2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Oldwoodsloafer

AZ
The International Harvester M1's date from late 1953 and serial numbers are above 4,400,000. IH had a number of manufactoring problems and was bailed out by Springfield Armory