The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 17, 2009, 12:24 PM   #1
thc

SHould I buy this??? Is it a good deal???

Someone offered me an H&K .45 USP (Used with at least 1000 rounds through it, but round count is unknown) it has a slide with serial numbers not matching the frame serial numbers. It is said to be in good condition, but I have yet to look at it in person, just email pictures. It comes with (3) ten round H&K mags, and (6) Aftermarket 12 round mags. The seller is asking $600.00 for the package. Should I jump on this or walk away?

Last edited by thc; July 17, 2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: wan to add tags
Old July 17, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
imp

Buy it . The 12rnd mags go for close to $60 a pop, so its over $300 worth of mags. If you can check it out in person, give it a good eval, but that sounds like a decent deal, as long as the weapon functions.
Old July 17, 2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Quentin2

So hard to say from a distance. It's an HK first off, so that's good. If it checks out when you get to inspect it then it sounds like a good deal. Will you be able to test fire it too? And is there a story behind why the SNs don't match? All those magazines sure sweeten the deal.
Old July 17, 2009, 01:57 PM   #4
thc

HE received the gun in trade and doesn't know why they don't match up. I think it looks like a great deal, but the SN not matching is giving me second thoughts. It could be as simple as the slide needed replaceing, or possibly the gun was built from parts? Not sure, any LEO's on here that can shed some light as to if the SN's not mathcing is a huge deal or just nothing to worry about as far as the law is concerned? I don't want to buy an stolen, illegal pistol that may have been used for not good things. But I don't want to pass up the deal?
Old July 17, 2009, 02:27 PM   #5
MontyCop05

Quote:
any LEO's on here that can shed some light as to if the SN's not mathcing is a huge deal or just nothing to worry about as far as the law is concerned? I don't want to buy an stolen, illegal pistol that may have been used for not good things. But I don't want to pass up the deal?
Sure, I'll chime in. Depends on your states laws really. Does the current owner know what the chain of custody was from time of initial purchase to him? If not then its kinda a gamble. God forbid you were to use it in self defense and then find out its a dirty gun. Hot Potato Rule my friend. Who ever is holding it at that point is getting burnt. Private sales are perfectly legal however states rules vary greatly from one another. Here is Jerz the NJSP have a record of anyone that has every owned the gun. It may be as simple as what you said yourself. It may have been a slide swap for repair etc. The other thing is you could ask your friend to go to his local PD or Sheriff and have them run the serial #'s to find out if its clean, but if he does and it comes up dirty, he's now holding the preverbal "Hot Potato." Its the one thing I don't mind about buying guns from dealers here in NJ. You know they are clean.

Its really your call pal. If you end up buying it, no matter how great the deal, if it keeps you up nights, is it really worth it?
Old July 17, 2009, 02:36 PM   #6
thc

Thanks for the feedback montycop05- I appreciate it. It's ahard ecision for me at this point- the allure of a wolrd class gun at half price with all the mags is awesome, but as you said if I end up with the hot potato, no deal is worth that. I live in colorado if that makes a difference as far as laws are concerned. So just to be clear on this one- if it is a stolen piece or a piece used in a crime and I end up with it, whatever the pistol was used for, I will be held accountable for?
Old July 17, 2009, 03:01 PM   #7
MontyCop05

Quote:
So just to be clear on this one- if it is a stolen piece or a piece used in a crime and I end up with it, whatever the pistol was used for, I will be held accountable for?
Well in a word: "kinda." Not like if someone was shot and killed with during the course of a crime you'd be charged with murder; but you sure as hell be a suspect until proven otherwise. And you'd have the BTAFE all over you a$$. Not to mention you might not be able to pass a nix check ever again without some serious legal intervention. Plus you be questioned ad nauseum as to where you got the gun, was it a legal purchase, are you legal able to posess a firearm, whats your friends name, what are his friends names, when was the last time he took a crap and the gun was within five feet of him while taking said crap, and so on and so forth.

Let me make it clear I'm certainly not a lawyer, and definitely not the last word on any of this. I'm just giving you what information I can from the LEO side of things. I take it upon my self to learn all I can about federal and Especially NJ gun law and I still only know a drop in the buckets worth. I'd encourage any supporter of the 2nd to do so as well. Check out CO's gun law and see what your working with.
Old July 17, 2009, 03:06 PM   #8
thc

Thanks Montycop05, Lot's of good info. I guess I will ask the seller if he know sthe full history of the gun and base my decision on that. Would love this deal, but not if it will get me in trouble. THanks agin for the info I appreciate it. I would imagine it is just a replacement barrel, but better safe than sorry and possibly behind bars just to save some $$$. Take it easy.

Tags
.45 usp , h&k , semi-auto hand guns , used guns