The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2012, 03:27 AM   #1
loademwell

Strange dies.....

I bought a used press (CH C press) and the guy tossed in a few dies. But there is no way that they would fit into the press. They are about the diameter of a dime. They are black in color with very little marking on them. 2 say "8 MM" Guessing that means 8 milometer Turkish. and one says "270" (i know its .270 cal, but not sure if its FL and it doesn't have a extractor pin in it) and the big long Bullet seater die just says "15" on it. And last but not least, a die that has extractor in it says 2.78 or 278 not sure if the "." is there or a spot of rust.

I will toss a pic up as soon as I can. If you think it will help...

Anyone have any idea??? What kind of press do I need for these?
Old November 30, 2012, 07:09 AM   #2
steveno

they could be Lyman 310 loading tool dies. there are threaded sleeves available from Lyman to allow the use of the smaller dies in a press that has the standard .875-14 thread. if they are indeed Lyman 310 dies they neck size only

Last edited by steveno; November 30, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

About the diameter of a dime?

External dimension?

I'd say what you have are not cartridge sizing dies, but possibly bullet swaging dies.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Two Old Dogs

A list of Lyman/Ideal 310 die codes and identification numbers can be found at http://www.castpics,net/subssite/Lym...CodeChart.html. Cast bullet sizing dies to fit the 310 tool were also available.

A 7/8X14 adapter (avaliable from Midway and other reloading equipment suppliers) allows the use of Lyman 310 dies in standard presses.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If the guy threw them in for free , you can throw them out , and not lose any money . Buy yourself some good dies (they come in a green box) and use those others for trade bait , once you figure out what they are . I think Mike Irwin may have hit the nail on the head !
Old November 30, 2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

Puzzler...

Load 'Em Well--Can't imagine what these are. Dime-sized??? Hmm...

A picture would sure help a lot in our collective guessing. After that, measurements.

Since they were for free, you will have lost nothing by not using them. But it WOULD be nice to know what they are.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 1, 2012, 07:50 AM   #7
HiBC

Now,hold on a minute!

Lyman used to make a tru-line Junior press,their dies were black.They are the same size as the dies for the Lyman tong tool.

So,you may have True-line dies,or tong tool dies.And,no,they are not Redding,Forster,or RCBS,but,with tong tool handles,they may be useful.Think loading in the field,or in a small apt.They are a step up from LeeLoader,and similar to the standard tools of buffalo hunters and target shooters turn of the century.

One other possibility,IIRC,the Dillon Square "D"(handgun only) progressive press uses smaller than 7/8 -14 dies.

As far as swaging dies,RCBS stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage,and that threaded bushing in the top of the RCBS Rockchucker press?its the same as the bushing in the massive Lyman grey press of old.Those bushings,when removed,allow the press to accept swage dies,which are larger than 7/8 14.

Last edited by HiBC; December 1, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8
LE-28

The lyman that I used to have that took those dies was a Tru-line Jr turret press. It took 9/16" fine threaded die all black as HiBC stated. I'm trying to upload a picture so if it doesn't so up bear with me. The die beside the black ones is a standard 7/8" die.
Notice the lyman box the dies came out of reads Lyman Gun Site Co. these dies were my fathers from the 1940's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9224.JPG (140.9 KB, 47 views)
Old December 1, 2012, 02:39 PM   #9
mikld

Nuttin' wrong with the Lyman 310 dies. Just a body size that was left behind when 7/8-14 became "standard". Lyman/Ideal tong tools use this size as well as the Trueline press. BTW; I use a tong tool for .44 Special. I get good, safe shootable ammo with it...
Old December 1, 2012, 03:01 PM   #10
jimkim

According to the reference section from cast pics the 310 dies should have a 5/8-30 thread. http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/310Refs.html
Old December 1, 2012, 08:43 PM   #11
loademwell

GOt an O.K. Pic to post. Hope you guys can help out.
All that these dies have on them (writing wise):
Bottom Right: 8MM
Bottom Left: 270
Upper Left: 8MM (Bullet seater is in it now. the extra Depriming tool on the upper right Does not fit)
Upper Middle: 15 (That is it!!! No other markings) Well, the decaper has 8MM on it on the top... But not the housing
Upper right: 2 78 (only on the end)

Thats about as much as I can tell ya....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121201_190812.jpg (230.3 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by loademwell; December 1, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: pic.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:30 PM   #12
cornbush

Judging from the time period these are probably from, I would say probably 8mm Lebel and 270 winchester.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh boy was I wrong!

I'd say that whomever said Lyman Tru-Line won the prize! I'd forgotten they used teeny tiny little dies like that.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:45 PM   #14
mwells72774

thats exactly what they are. I've got one of the presses and a set of 38spl dies.

if you want to let them go, i know somewhere they can be sent

shoot me a PM with details if you're wanting to sell/trade em