The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
mrt949

Do you have a ammo stash ?

Do you have a ammo stash in your vehicle for backup for your cc and how much?
I normaly have at least 100 rounds of 22lr,50 of 38 sp ,50 of 40 sw .hidden out of sight in a storage area. I never know what pistol I have with me at any given time. In case you want to do some informal shooting at the range .
How about you ?

Last edited by mrt949; November 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old November 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Beretta686

No.

I think everyone should do as they wish and carry as many rounds as they can possible carry. But I have trouble seeing any circumstance within the realm of reasonable possibility where you're going to need more than a few rounds.

If you're running out to your vehicle to get more ammo it means you've disengaged from the immediate situation and are planning on returning to the fight, which negates your argument of "self-defense". Also you're assumedly returning to a situation where there's going to be a police response and the last thing they'd probably want is another unknown person wandering around with a weapon while they're looking for a bad guy.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old November 4, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
The Great Mahoo

I like to keep some extra ammo in my car. Never know when I might want to stop by the range and put a box down range when I have some free time. There's also some ear plugs and eye glasses in the glove box.
I guess it would be there if I needed it during some event with a break down of law and order, but I don't really foresee that happening.

So yes; ammo stored in my car, but only for convenience sake should i want to shoot.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:20 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

In today's civil society...

It is difficult to imagine a crediatable secenario where you, as a non-LEO, would need more than the ammo in your carry gun and your onboard reloads (spare mag, speedloader, etc..) before the situation is resolved.

However, (and especially with the recent megastorm in mind), there is a situation which has not yet been discussed. And that is, you may find yourself in a situation where you cannot go home (and resupply) for an indefinate period.

The bridge is out,the road is flooded, the riot is between you and home, etc., what ever the reason, you might (possibly) be forced to spend some time with just what's on your person, and in your vehicle.

IF something like that happens, having a backup stash of ammo in the rig might be critical. If you are stranded, for whatever reason, the odds of being able to buy more ammo are pretty low to non-existant, in the locale, and for the duration of the emergency. Its not totally outside the realm of possibility that if you are stranded, you might have to use your weapon, possibly even more than once before the authorities are able to respond. After all, in that kind of situation, if you can't get out, they have a tough time getting in, or even knowing that there is something (else) they need to respond to.

Having a small stash of ammo so that you could replenish your carry gun, and having it with you (vehicle) makes sense to me. Although the odds you are going to need it are tremendously small, if you do need it, you are really going to need it! It takes up very little space, after all.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:49 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Yea...

I have a few .22 WMR and .22 WRF rounds floating around in the center console, from a trip to Wyoming, in 2008.
And, somewhere in my truck, there are 3 rounds of Federal 9mm 136 gr Hydrashok.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
KMAX

I am with Mahoo on this one. I often leave a box of 38Sp and/or 380 in the console. I never know when I might be passing by the range and decide to stop for a few rounds or be at a friend's house out in the country and decide to target practice a little bit. It is those two calibers because those are my CC guns. I always carry earplugs in the console for mowing yards, etc. and emergency range trips. Also I always carry a roll of extra targets behind the seat. As for the civil disturbance/ emergency scenario, I don't yet forsee any such problems in this area. However, you never know. It could happen.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; November 4, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
However, (and especially with the recent megastorm in mind), there is a situation which has not yet been discussed. And that is, you may find yourself in a situation where you cannot go home (and resupply) for an indefinate period.
This is pretty much my thinking. I keep a small box of 20 9mm Federal Hydrashocks in the glove for just in case situations.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
TheGunGuy

I have an ammo can in each of my vehicles that contains a few hundred rounds of 9mm as well as other emergency bug-out type supplies. You never know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 4, 2012, 06:47 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

The only time I shoot at a "range" is when I'm in AZ for the winter. Those trips are "planned" so I don't carry extra ammo in the car . . . 1 - we are careful about what we do leave it he car in case someone breaks in to it (whilel in a parking lot) and 2 - the car heats up pretty good if it's parked out int he sun.

If a person carries and is on the road a lot and sometimes has an unplanned trip to the range, I can see stashing a box in the car. Which I believe the OP is talking about.

If you're talking in regards to SD . . . as stated, why woul you need any beyond what you would normally carry in your CCW weapon and extra magazine (if you carry one)?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 4, 2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Master Blaster 2

Do you have a ammo stash in your vehicle for backup for your cc and how much?
Lot of kids projecting fantasy...that is maybe unless you live in a ghetto.
I have carried for over 30 years and have never needed to pull. Thus why I carry my COP derringer. i am confident with this. IF I can't defend myself with 4 rouds I retreat. i am not a cop. Already served my country during the Vietnam war.
But if you fell better carrying 100 extra rounds where ever you go ...more power to you.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; November 4, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Super Sneaky Steve

Going back to the, you're stuck away from home, senario. I think having a small .22 pistol or revolver would be ideal for that situation.

I have these little 50 round packs of wild cat ammo that can fit in the palm of my hand, not much bigger than a box of matches. They can easily be tossed in a pocket or stashed anywhere.

A box of those takes up less space and weight than one magazine or one speed loader.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Tinner666

I've never thought of it as stashing. If I take a brick to the field to shoot and still have a few 100 left, I may or may not remove them from the vehicle when I get home. I had too much ammo at home, so I put a few boxes at the shop. I honestly couldn't think to myself though " I'll run 'here' and there'll be 22's there when I get there." It might be shotgun shells instead.

My ammo just happens to be where I left it so to speak.

Last edited by Tinner666; November 4, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Hansam

Yes and no.

I have ammo in every car that my wife and I own and drive. That said its not so much a stash as it is a convenient supply of ammo for range trips, hunting etc. I don't just have defensive ammo in that supply (actually I don't have ANY defensive ammo) but rather I have a few hundred rounds of each type of round I think I might use on a range trip, hunting, camping etc.

As such I have a locked tupperware tote with over 1000 rounds of .22lr, 500 rounds of 12ga. #6 bird shot, 200 rounds of 12ga. 00 buck, 300 rounds of .223 BTSP already loaded into PMags, 200 rounds of .44mag (.240gr SWC), 300 rounds of .308 SP and 300 rounds of .45acp FMJ.

Typically all this is sitting in each of my vehicles locked away in a tote and out of sight. When I go to the range I bring a lot more ammo but some times that runs out and we're not done at the range so there's at least a little more ammo in the car to use. When it gets used it gets replenished that day. Same goes for hunting trips and camping. I've had the unfortunate event of falling into a swamp in a particularly warm gun deer season here, gun and all, and my ammo that was on me got soaked. I was happy to be able to return to camp, change into dry clothing and realized that I had a supply of usable ammo in my truck.

I suppose though that in a SHTF or inclement weather/stranded situation any of that ammo could come in useful depending on the guns I had with me.

Really though I'm of the mindset that if I'm out and about and need to defend myself with my carry guns I'm going to give myself enough time and cover to retreat BEFORE I run out of what ammo I'm carrying on me. If I make it back to my vehicle I'm bugging out of there unless the vehicle itself is disabled too. In which case all bets are off. For me to return to engage hostile forces is both idiotic AND illegal.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:58 PM   #14
bbqbob51

I have ammo in different places in the house but not in my vehicles.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #15
Corrections Cop

Quote:
No.

I think everyone should do as they wish and carry as many rounds as they can possible carry. But I have trouble seeing any circumstance within the realm of reasonable possibility where you're going to need more than a few rounds.

If you're running out to your vehicle to get more ammo it means you've disengaged from the immediate situation and are planning on returning to the fight, which negates your argument of "self-defense". Also you're assumedly returning to a situation where there's going to be a police response and the last thing they'd probably want is another unknown person wandering around with a weapon while they're looking for a bad guy.

Why do you need all of this unless you are going around looking for trouble
Old November 4, 2012, 10:56 PM   #16
p loader

If you are caught in an emergency situation where you are stranded and can't get home chances are a backpack filled with life sustaining supplies (food, water, shelter, warmth) will be of much more value than a few guns and a couple thousand rounds of ammo stashed in the spare tire compartment.

Everyone likes to envision these scenarios where they are fighting off hoards of evil doers with their weapons of justice. A more likely scenario is being cold, miserable and thirsty as [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] while not being able to find any potable water.

I'm all for carrying a piece and an extra mag, that's about it.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:26 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If you are caught in an emergency situation where you are stranded and can't get home chances are a backpack filled with life sustaining supplies (food, water, shelter, warmth) will be of much more value than a few guns and a couple thousand rounds of ammo stashed in the spare tire compartment.
I have an acquaintance that loves hearing things like that. His personal philosophy is:
I have guns.
I can trade for what I need.
If the situation is truly desperate, people will be willing to trade a substantial amount of goods for the ability to protect themselves (and what they have left).
You have food. I have guns.
Protect yourself with that granola bar and water bottle, when the next armed person comes along.

Whether or not I agree with his philosophy, it's entertaining.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:30 AM   #18
old bear

As all my handguns, with one exception, are chambered for the .357 Magnum round. I keep one speed strip with Hot 38 special loads in the center counsel of the car and I have three more loaded speed strips in my assorted gear bag in the trunk.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:13 AM   #19
p loader

Quote:
I have guns.
I can trade for what I need.
If the situation is truly desperate, people will be willing to trade a substantial amount of goods for the ability to protect themselves (and what they have left).
You have food. I have guns.
Protect yourself with that granola bar and water bottle, when the next armed person comes along.
Your friend is sorely mistaken, in that he believes people who are smart enough to stockpile food and supplies will not have ways to protect those assets. I love guys who say stuff like that, the whole "I have guns I'll just take what I need."

There is no such thing as a one man army, people who think they can only rely on their stash of guns and ammo after SHTF will be among the first to perish. Probably trying to "take what they need" from someone, or in a shootout at Walmart trying to get that last case of water....

Old November 5, 2012, 07:06 AM   #20
Pistolgripshotty

Quote:
I have an ammo can in each of my vehicles that contains a few hundred rounds of 9mm
Its a process and Im working on it too!
Old November 5, 2012, 07:09 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

My ammo stash is kept at home. I occasionally carry a reload but not often any more and I certainly don't carry extra car ammo.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:32 PM   #22
ka26

As has been stated, for the convenience of making unexpected stops at the range then that's understandable but not so much for self defense purposes unless you legitimately believe we will be invaded & our military overrun (I don't see that happening). Whatever is in the gun + an extra mag. I just can't realistically invision a situation where I would empty 2 mags & then have to reload them & go again.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #23
Master Blaster 2

Must be preparerd for the Red Threat!!
Old November 5, 2012, 01:03 PM   #24
serf 'rett

In vehicles, I have two plastic pill bottles which hold 14 rounds of 9mm each. The idea behind the 28 "spare" rounds is not to restock and return to fight, but to be loaded if fight is bad enough that I must exit the area.

Sometimes trouble follows..
Old November 5, 2012, 01:27 PM   #25
pgdion

Quote:
I prefer both (although 1000 rounds is more than I carry, it's more like a box for just in case). It's just another item in the auto emergency kit is all. Right up there with the 1st aid kit, the flares, ect. And yes, there's a few water bottles, some granola bars, and an emergency blanket in there too. It's all about emergency preparedness.