The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 22, 2007, 05:22 PM   #26
FortKnoxWales

Well.......

I hadn't read anything back when I bought my first 1861 Nickel .36cal "Colt" replica.....I asked around and followed their instructions. Depending on the performance you want, the accuracy(all of those things aren't any of my current primary concerns) and the desired recoil, which don't seem to be much for any blackpowder pistol I've owned, I've seated the ball firmly, but directly onto the powder charge without a wad, sealed the end of each chamber with Thompson Center Bore Butter and shot away. I've owned a '58 Remington, '51 Colt Navy, '61 Colt sheriff's, and I've added a Uberti Walker to the line as a gift from my wife for Christmas........little early but fun nevertheless. With all of these pistols, I've never had any bad luck with this loading technique. Due to my lack of concern for accuracy and recoil, I've never actually used a powder measure to load either, as long as the ball was seated below the front of the cylinder..............though I wouldn't at all recommend "eyeballing it" as a common loading practice.

I hope I've been of at least some help.
Old November 22, 2007, 05:44 PM   #27
angeldeville

I'm a big fan of the '58 Remingtons, so much that I opted for Rugers improvement of it, look for them used, I got a great deal on my 1977 unfired.

If you are dead set on a Walker, look at a Dragoon Model, they are an improvement over the Walker, Uberti is the best manufacturer, and are imported under Navy Arms, as well as the Uberti name.

I've always used the grease method, I may try the wads someday.

a .32 or .36 cal is next on the list for me.
Old November 22, 2007, 06:00 PM   #28
Hawg

I don't like the Rugers. Nothing wrong with them, they're reliable and tough, just not historically accurate. Piettas quality is right up there with Uberti now. In fact I've seen some Piettas with better finishes that Uberti. New Piettas also like a .454 ball. I prefer a wad under the ball as it's less messy but some say accuracy is better without it. I can't tell a difference. If you want to shoot heavy loads stick with a steel frame.

Pietta 1860

Pietta 58
Old November 22, 2007, 06:59 PM   #29
K.A.T.

If you are considering a Uberti 1858, which is an excellent first revolver, check out their "World Class" series. They offer a Stainless Steel 1858 with engraving. I have one that shoots 2" groups on a good day at 25yds. using a rest.

If you want a Colt don't forget about the 2nd generation "Colts". They are top of the line. There is the 3rd generation also, I have a 3rd. gen. 1860 that is a great pistol. You can find them on the gun auctions.

You mentioned a brass frame, everyone talks against them, saying they will not hold up under heavy loads.

I have a 2nd gen. Colt Walker and have not had any problems at all, no lever drop even using 60grns. of powder, if may start later, but so far it is great. It is just heavy and hard to handle, I wouldn't buy it for a first pistol, but do get one later.

When I started I got all the info. I could and decided to use a lube pill between the powder and ball, it has worked great. No chain fires, no greasy mess.

I bought 4 in this order.
1. 3rd gen. Colt 1860
2. Uberti World Class 1858
3. 2nd gen. Colt 1851
4. 2nd gen. Colt Walker
Old November 22, 2007, 07:43 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
There is the 3rd generation also, I have a 3rd. gen. 1860 that is a great pistol. You can find them on the gun auctions.
Not knocking the third generation signature series but there's much cheaper guns to be had. The third gen. is a Colt in name only. Colt had nothing to do with the manufacture or fitting of these guns. Uberti made the parts for the secend gen. and shipped them to Colt where the final fit, assembly and finish took place at their factory in Hartford. They unlike the third gen. are considered to be true Colts