The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 5, 2006, 05:51 PM   #1
JDG

$20,000 Target

My brother works for a company that repairs aircraft, and he calls me up today, to see if I want to shoot at this windsheild out of a jet. All his coworkers said their was no way anything could shoot through this 1 1/2" thick lexan windshield. After the first shot with a 22 Hornet, it looked like the plastic was bulletproof, I was impressed! I than shot my 7x57 Mauser, no problem going through. 270 Win, no problem. 22 revolver, no go! 45ACP, no problem either, which surprised me! We had lots of fun blasting away at this big dollar target!
Old March 5, 2006, 06:06 PM   #2
bclark1

haha, beats the box of truth by a little huh? very cool. old friend of mine does materials testing as a military contractor now. i oughta bug him to see if any of those perquisites are available.
Old March 5, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
CobrayCommando

Huh... I was told that a .45 wouldn't penetrate metal or glass as well as a .22 because of sectional density.
Old March 5, 2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like loads o' fun, but it's not a tactical or training issue, so off you go to Lock & Load!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie