The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 14, 2007, 03:58 AM   #1
Mtschust

Ccw

I sent out for a CCW here in Oregon about 3 days ago. I imagine by the time I have an appointment and get the permit It will be at least a couple months.

While I am confident around handguns now, and I am proficient in shooting them, at least for CCW purposes, I have not a lot of CCW training. I took two basic courses at my range but could use some reading or videos. I am going to sign up for another course but can not make up my mind which one to take. The CCW class is offered at my range but I would rather train somewhere like Oregon Firearms academy. They are booked solid through the year. I am also in the process of selling my Glock 19 and buying a sig 225. I liked the Glock alot. The sig fits my hand better and I like the single action trigger. I am going to need a belt holster, and probably some clothes. Some plain shirts and some larger button downs should fit the bill.

I was thinking of a VM2 for the sig and I need a belt option.
Old July 14, 2007, 09:08 AM   #2
RocketFoot

Good luck with your CCW...it only takes about a week here in PA...We don't have to take any courses or get printed or anything either.

Just be sure you know your CCW inside and out. You can carry confidently if you are comfortable with your weapon.

Member: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old July 14, 2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Ifishsum

It took me about 2 weeks to get an appointment, then another 5-6 weeks to get the permit in the mail (Multnomah county). Some counties might be quicker - my brother did his in Union county and had his permit at 2-3 weeks before I did.

Softer IWB holsters with an untucked shirt are the most comfortable for me. It's common for people to have a few extra holsters that they purchased, but didn't make the cut for one reason or another. Good luck with the CCW process.
Old July 15, 2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Used to live the Great Northwest. If you are willing to drive a bit, check out Marty Hayes at FAS or Insights - both in WA state.

Thunder Ranch is south of you.
Old July 15, 2007, 01:03 PM   #5
revjen45

Second that on FAS and Insights. Have attended both and recommend them highly.