The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 10, 2001, 07:46 AM   #1
Paul K

Can you buy a new full auto, or just used ones?

Are the only full autos that you can own are used ones?
I saw an MP5K on Gunbroker and i was daydreaming of owing it but the guy says somthing about LE. I know its law enforcement, but does that mean only LEO's can buy it?
Old September 10, 2001, 01:57 PM   #2
GLJones

I have seen New In Box Full Size UZIs on the Internet.

http://www.vectorarms.com

They have a bunch of receivers they had made before the ban and are mating them with new UZI parts.
Old September 13, 2001, 07:57 AM   #3
KSFreeman

Not in the Wolverine State, dude. C&R only. If you want a further explanation, e-mail me.
Old September 13, 2001, 10:07 PM   #4
salvo

Yes

My brand new Vector Uzi, at least it was
Old September 16, 2001, 03:33 PM   #5
milcaztra

vector uzi

How good is the Vector Uzi compared to the Israeli made models? What's the going price for the setup? Caliber conversions? And spare magazines?

Can you recommend a good dealer in Texas? Houston?

Has anyone tried the Vector with the Gemtech Mossad suppressor? I'm curious about the performance.

Thanks!
Old September 17, 2001, 12:41 PM   #6
salvo

Vector Arms Uzi's are built with receivers produced and registered by Group Industries before the 1986 ban. They imported parts for the standard size UZI, produced by Lyttleton Engineering in South Africa (known as the world's highest-quality UZI government contractor).
The fit and finish is top notch and they are a blast to shoot! You can read about the extra steps they take with the receiver's heat treatment and such at their site
http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html
Vector sells them one at a time for $3,295.00 some class 3 dealers take advantage of price brakes for large order pricing and pass it on to us. I found mine about 6 months ago for $2,500.00 those deals are gone now, you should be able to find one for around $2,850.00 or so at Subguns.com
http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/nfaad.cgi? You can also find a good dealer in your area their just click on Home or Board of Inquiry

The Vector Uzi's receiver is registered in 9mm, .22 & .45 Vector also sells the conversion kits for around $235.00 for the .22 and $210.00 for the .45

I bought my mags, sling, bayo and such from DSArms of all places, brand new 25rd IMI mags for $15.00 ea. And the Parkerizing matches the Uzi's very nicely.

Vector started out with about 3,000 receivers when they are gone there gone! Expect prices to keep going up.
Old September 17, 2001, 05:26 PM   #7
MeekAndMild

I like the Vector Uzi. Mine was bought last year and is quite well made. It is parkerized instead of painted and works best with Israeli or South African mags.

It doesn't like the cheap sheet metal mags which have an incorrect lip angle and follower angle nor does it like the 40 shot mags, but then so I hear, neither does the IMI Uzi. I have read that other SMG designs like the Beretta and S&W likewise dislike the longer mags.

It would probably benefit from a slightly more powerful recoil spring and shorter bolt travel. It seems like you have enough time to play a hand of pinochle and eat a sandwich between trigger pull and actual fire which may irk some people. I suppose if one were looking for improvement in this regard they would look instead to the $4500 gun called a "Mini Uzi" which has corrected this design defect (???) with a shorter, faster action. The full sized one's leisurely rate of fire appears to be a definite advantage compared to the mini both for ammunition costs and barrel wear however.

There is one interesting point of difference between the Vector and the older Israeli SMG, which is an improved sear with an addition of a thing they call a "small sear" and a modification of the sear itself to accomodate it, which is supposed to improve action in semi auto I believe. I have not heard nor read much about this modification, but it is a small thing of interest to collectors.

If anyone knows the history behind the sear change I wish you'd post it.
Old September 18, 2001, 12:34 AM   #8
salvo

I just had to buy one of Vectors 40 rounders, I just took it out today and ran 200 rds through it. The 40 ran perfectly, maybe I got lucky with this one, I might have to buy a few more
Mine ran slow out of the box, but after a little polishing and slicking up it's much faster, I also made a .5" buffer for it. I need to find someone with a shot timer to see what the rpm is.
It is no Mac thats for sure though.