The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 24, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Florida Guy

S & W 19 or 66 holster recommendations

Recommendations for moderately priced holster for a 2 1/2" gun OWB.
Old March 24, 2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Mannlicher

I am a big fan of Sam Andrews' work. He is here in FL, up in Alachua.

www.andrewsleather

He is a former LEO, and a great human being, and that is in addition to him being a premier leather guy.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 24, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
BlueMike

Simply Ruggged makes outstanding holsters. I have an OWB for my S&W Model 60, 3" that is perfect.
Old March 24, 2011, 11:53 AM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Fobus

Hi,
While I made my own holsters for my model 19 snubbie, I currently have on a Fobus paddle for my 19 that I purchased mostly for practice and range wear and around the ranch.

I could only find two companies making the kydex for K frame.
Fobus and Blade tech.

The fobus only comes in a 4 inch model, but I was able to convert it to a 2.75 inch by riveting higher and cutting the holster shorter.

It rides very comfortably, but sticks out more than my pancakes, and the gun is super secure and draws nicely with quick pull. Being kydex, the holster itself is very small as it is perfectly form fitted, and I picked it up for 24.00 shipped on ebay.
Old March 24, 2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Wrangler5

BladeTech makes both IWB and OWB holsters for K frames (these are kydex holsters.) FIST apparently makes all of their models in K frame versions, both leather, kydex and hybrid. Bianchi has a number of models. Not sure what your "moderately priced" guidelines are, though.
Old March 24, 2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Kilo Sierra

K frames

I have had extremely good results with leather from Lobo Gunleather. He even has a no frills belt slide that is very economical. Customer service is outstanding, I'd recommend taking a look at his website.

Also, I see you are in the warmer part of the world. Another option you might find worthy is the zipslide from Wilderness Tactical. In my experience very functional and incorporates everything a minimalist would want.

Fortunately all the established makers have products for the K frame, and you are only limited by you wallet and wait time.

My .$02... Good luck.
ks
Old March 24, 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
BarryLee

I also have a holster for the M-66 from Simply Rugged and have been very pleased.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 25, 2011, 02:51 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

High Noon Holsters, good carry rigs...

HighNoon Holsters is a Tampa FL area shop. They sell a line called "Skin Tite" that is synthetic but long lasting. See www.HighNoonHolsters.com .
Other top holsters/shops include Bianchi, Galco, Kramer, Don Hume, Milt Sparks, DeSantis, El Paso Saddlery.

Greg Kramer & Mitch Rosen sell horsehide rigs that you may want to see for a K frame S&W snub.
Clyde
Old March 25, 2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Florida Guy

I like that Skin Tite, but the list of guns that fit does not include a 19 or 66.
I don't know what model is comparable in size that is on their list.
Old March 25, 2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Ranger325

I have a Tucker Gunleather pancake model for my M66 and have been very happy with it.

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/repa.html

Regards,
Old March 25, 2011, 02:59 PM   #11
jal5

I used the OWB Simply Rugged pancake style holster for a M66, 6" barrel and it works very well. They have a shoulder harness rig too that works with that pancake holster that I use for hunting applications.

Joe