The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2007, 09:08 PM   #1
cobra81

Garand Brass Cuts

Was re-sizing some brass after shooting my M1 today, and noticed some of the case rims had a pretty deep gouge on the edge of the rim. I assume it's from the extractor, and am also aware that Garands can be hard on brass, but this rifle has never done this before.

Just curious, is this normal, or should I be looking for something wrong with the rifle? Thanks.

Old March 12, 2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Logs

Checked some of my old Garand Brass and mine isn't looking like yours. Wow those are some deep cuts.

P.S. What load / bullet are you using for your Garand. I just bought a Hornady Lock N Load and wanted to do up some 30.06 myself.

M
Old March 12, 2007, 01:17 PM   #3
cobra81

The weird thing is that it only gouged 5 or 6 cases out of the 32 I fired yesterday. I plan on disassembling the bolt and looking for any problems there.

I'm loading 47.3 grains of IMR 4895 with 152 grain Ball M2 bullets. Nice mild load, and I'm getting pretty good accuracy with this. Haven't run any through the chrono yet, but I suspect it's around 2700 fps.

I have tried IMR4064 as well, and had a box of Nosler Competition 168 gr. Match bullets I used up in Garand loads. Not worth the expense of the pricier bullets, for me, since I'm not shooting competitively, and I am satisfied with the performance of the FMJ Ball. I got a case of Lake City loaded ammo from CMP when I purchased my M1, and have been loading them as I shoot them up.

Of all my rifles, the Garand has quickly taken over as my favorite to shoot! Before I know it, I've got brass all over the place, in multiples of 8!
Old March 12, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
PDshooter

"only gouged 5 or 6 cases out of the 32"

Just a thought ? it could be "Dingin them" on the 3,5,7,8 shot ?....Be "SAFE" Fire a round, put it on safe ,CK the case. Do that for all 8rds. Fire and CK.That what I would do.....
But who really cares about ding-up cases........That just me..
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old March 13, 2007, 12:00 AM   #5
musher

Check your unfired CMP ammo. Could be damage from delinking LC ball.
Old March 13, 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
cracked butt

Normal.
Mine not only bends the rims a bit, but puts a crescent shaped scratch in the casehead of every round. I use this as an advantage, its easy tosee how many times each lot of brass has been fired.