The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2002, 10:57 PM   #26
HerrJaegermeister

Synthetic on Wingmaster

I sinned!

I pulled the fancy, gloss wood off my late 1980s 870 Wingmaster Magnum (3-inch). I went goose hunting in the rain one day and found the end grain on the stock near the recoil pad swollen with moisture.

No good.

After moving to Sioux City I went to a local store and bought a set of black synthetic stocks. They have been great. Scratches are an "oh well, no big deal." They lightened up the shotgun as well.

I also use one of three different barrels (two Hastings, one factory) so I'm not caught on keeping an 870 Wingmaster in original condition.

Synthetics on a double barrel are a different matter. The only one to pull it off is the Ruger Red Label All Weather SS.
Old November 23, 2002, 11:44 AM   #27
Borf

Wood. There are great practical arguments for synthetics in the field, but I'm not sold. All my longarms have wood. All but two of my handguns have wood (and I'm making wood grips for one). For me hunting is as much about being outdoors and escaping from the daily grind as it is about getting food on the hoof|wing|foot. I pretend I live in earlier times, sitting out in my leather boots, wool shirt, knit cap and wood handled knife. You could call me a 1930's reenactor A wooden stock is part of this. All the preseason rituals I would miss otherwise. Listening to the radio while steaming out dents. Rubbing with linseed oil every night, returning to my copy of 100 Years of Field and Stream(highly recomended hardcover collection BTW) to reread favorites. Mink oiling my boots and leather sling. Tightening up the snowshoes and working up a new load.

Stripping the wood off my guns would strip away the giddy pleasure I get from maintaining once living materials.

On the other hand, I could be a little silly upstairs. If the above doesn't apply to you, synthetic is likely just fine

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham