The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 31, 2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Glockstar .40

A good deed

A friend of mines jeep broke down the other day and was going to cost him a lot of money that he doesn't have. So he was going to sell some of his guns to pay for it. My wife and I discussed it and decided that we didn't want him to have to do that, so I offered to write him a check for any amount he needed to get it fixed. And in turn he gave me a kimber series 1 compact stainless. Woohoo! I insisted he didn't have to do that but he wanted to anyways.

It always feels good to be able to help someone out and it always feels good getting a new gun.

Anyone else have a time they would like to share when a good deed came back to you getting a new gun?
Old August 31, 2014, 05:08 PM   #2
arizona98tj

That was indeed a very nice thing to do for your friend. I've always believed in what goes around, comes around.
Old August 31, 2014, 05:10 PM   #3
skoro

I think you've just added some good karma to your cosmic account.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Sight Unseen

This isn't quite the same thing because I didn't end up with the gun, but one time I loaned my buddy $100 and he insisted I held on to his scoped .22 Marlin and it's (very nice) case for collateral. I told him it wasn't necessary, but like I said he insisted so I took it and held it for the week he needed to pay me back.

Anyway the point is that even if he couldn't pay me back I would have given the gun back to him anyway, probably after two or so weeks(it was his only firearm at the time so I didn't want to render him completely defenseless). He paid me back though so I gave him back his rifle.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:04 PM   #5

No good deed goes unpunished.

According to Judge Judy, you should never loan money to family and/or friends.

But if you do, get the agreement in writing.
Old September 2, 2014, 07:39 AM   #6
SaxonPig

My rule of thumb is to never lend money unless you don't care if you get it back.

Many years ago a friend got into a financial fix and I lent him about $600. He insisted on giving me a couple guns (worth more than $600). I considered them collateral but I guess he thought he sold them to me because about 5 years later I asked him when he was going to reclaim the guns and he was shocked that I still had them.

"Your guns" I shrugged. "I've just been holding them and frankly I need the space in the safe."

He repaid me and I returned the guns.
Old September 3, 2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Dragline45

I helped move out a friends grandparents and they had an old Carcano bolt action and 20rds of original ammo. I told them I was interested in buying it but they said I could have it for free, I still gave them $50 though.
Old September 6, 2014, 04:37 PM   #8
DannyB1954

The thing about loaning money to friends is you have to be pretty good at choosing your friends. I don't know how much money I lost choosing badly.

Banks and pawn shops love to loan money. If they can not trust your friends, why should you?
Old September 7, 2014, 08:15 AM   #9
highpower3006

Loaning money causes amnesia.

The best way is either get collateral up front, or just give them the money.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Coach Z

If you loan someone $20 and never hear from them again it was money well spent.

I bought a Steyr years ago from a friend who was in a bind and needed to sell guns for some cash. I gave it to him for his next birthday.
Old September 18, 2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Glockstar .40

It was never meant to be a loan. I don't like loans as they can be rough on friendships. We were just gonna help him out so he didn't have to worry about paying us back.
Old September 19, 2014, 11:01 PM   #12
10-96

I think ya done good all the way around.

The other day, I got to help out a young couple with a bum battery in their car and I got to pet their cute little fuzzy dog. I think that was a good deal.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.