The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
DasFriek

Recoil pads for my wimpy shoulder?

I LOVED shooting my new 12 gauge,i put 75 rounds threw it and had to stop due too pain,but that gave me time to shoot my 1911 and PPS9.

Being a HD gun i didnt take it easy.
2 3/4 6 shot
2 3/4 00 buck
2 3/4 rifled slugs
3" 00 buck
3" BB

The best part is as long as i use stuff like the 6 shot i can shoot cheaper than even my 9mm.But im almost 40 now and my shoulder is bruised up and good and sore.

I believe i have 2 options:
1. Stock butt pad.
2. shoulder pad.

I have no preference as ive never used either.I do know my 500 has a stock ATI pad on it,and the stock is adjustable so space isnt an issue.
This is mainly a HD gun,so id prefer something i can remove once im done at the range.

Price,of course lower is better but $40 is about the most id like to pay.
I also have a 1.5" gel butt pad i used when i rode my motorcycle,think i can make a shoulder pad with that?I make my own holsters,while not the best they are usable and reliable.

So ill take any suggestions besides "stop being a wimp".
Old January 6, 2010, 06:01 AM   #2
bswiv

If you ever have to truly use it in a hurry you will be better served by having a hard smooth butt pad that does not hang up on clothing or bedding.

Of course in all likelyhood you won't have to so this may be a moot point.

Still, if HD is a issue best bet is a strap on shoulder pad............
Old January 6, 2010, 06:19 AM   #3
kayakersteve

I use .....

Limbsaver - They have both slip on and precut that can screw on depending on your gun model.
http://www.limbsaver.com/#two
Old January 6, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4
DasFriek

Im only looking at for use at the range,for HD im sure my shoulder can handle the pain if needed.
Ive heard the limbsaver is good reading reviews online.
Im looking at something home made first since i have stuff i think may be worth trying.
I do know most shoulder pads online seem to be hit or miss.But the butt stock pads seem to be better.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:36 PM   #5
zippy13

If you're not after a strap-on shoulder pad that looks like it came from the whimp department of a surgical supply store, here's a thought:
I didn't think I seen it mentioned here; but, some folks prefer a shooting shirt. Here, in Southern California, even a summer vest can be too hot. A tee or golf shirt with sewn-in padding can give you some relief. And, it's something that can be made at home, with basic sewing skills, and still look like a name-brand shooting shirt.

Last edited by zippy13; January 6, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:33 PM   #6
xm21

Reduced recoil loads would help,there are plenty out there for clays or critters.

edited to add that if you opt for a strap on or a recoil pad make sure the lop is not increased too much
Old January 6, 2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Same here but I'm 65 arthritic and have had surgery on my right shoulder. Objection to a butt pad hanging up when needed in a hurry is also my objection so when outside shooting thumpers my choice is a shooting vest or a shooting jacket with built in pad. Shotgun or large bore rifle becomes much more fun when it doesn't hurt. I have both vest and jacket to accommodate hot days and chilly days and it really does help. On cold days like the 10 degrees I have today I'm bundled up enough it doesn't matter. Biggest problem is my breath fogging up my shooting glasses, need to get more glycerin and treat them again.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 6, 2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple things.....

First off, does your shotgun have one of those AR style contraption stocks?

I've not run across any as comfortable to shoot as the standard stock.

The standard has 200 years of R&D behind it, the AR style works well on mouseguns but doesn't help much with things that kick.

A standard stock that fits you and is equipped with a premium pad like a Decellerator or KickEez will do a lot to reduce discomfort.

So will technique. On the clays field, I can stand up pretty straight. When the loads get heavy, like 00 and slugs will, I lean way into it until I look like I'm going to fall on my face. I'm behind the gun instead of along side it. That way, my whole upper body and spine act like a spring and further reduce the kick by spreading it out instead of channeling it into a small, butt shaped area of outraged pain receptors.

Having the forward hand push a little while the firing hand pulls the butt well into the shoulder also will help.

And R/R 00 and slugs are great for us aging gunners.

Finally, when I bench test or zero with slugs, I use a wearable pad. Mine's either a Bob Allen or a PAST. It straps on and also reduces the kick.

HTH....
Old January 7, 2010, 12:22 AM   #9
sleeper614

just google shoulder recoil pad. or if you have a gander mt. ive seen them there 4 $35. they are cheaper online.