The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 3, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Dave in SC

need a new stock for a Browning A-Bolt

I have a need for a new stock (want a synthetic). I have found a B&C (~$150) and the factory Browning (~$300). Does anyone have any other ideas/sources?

Browning states the stock needs to be fitted by the factory or a qualified gunsmith. How hard is this? I have built AR's and am a glock armorer at work; however, I have never worked on a bolt rifle before. What is involved in the "fitting?"

I am not sure of the quality/stability of the Bell & Carlson Carbelite stocks. Not even sure if the action would still be free floated. Does anyone have any experience with this stock.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help.
Old August 4, 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Eghad

making sure the action fits good and that the barrel is free floated. If you don't have the proper tools and skills you just wasted a stock. I don't know what a good gunsmith would charge for fitting a stock but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be under $100.00 for a good job based on other work I have had done.

I had my 1978 Parker Hale Mauser glass bedded and the price was $85.00, plus I had a spot that wasn't free floated on the barell after it heated up that was an additional $25.00.

The Browning price doesn't seem unreasonable if it includes the stock and a professional fitting job.

The advantage of having a good local gunsmith doing it is that he can fit the stock to your arm measurements which can make a difference.

NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Clemson

Dave, MPI stocks are in a different league from the Bell & Carlson stocks. They also require a good bit more "fitting" to make them work. They are worth the effort, however. The fitting itself is something that you can do yourself with fairly minimal tools and a good glass bedding kit from Brownells.

http://www.mpistocks.com/index.htm

They do list stocks for the A-Bolt.

Good luck!

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old August 8, 2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Dave in SC

I was wandering if Browining's advice for "factory fitting" was their way of trying to deal with civil liability. Is it possible to just drop an action in the stock and go with it? Anyone ever used a Browning factory stock.

Clemson - If that is where you live I am only a couple miles over the water from you. If it was needed, would you happen to know a competent smith in the area?
Old August 8, 2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Scorch

Browning factory stocks are not the best stock on the market. B&C stock may be better, but definitely as good as a real fiberglass stock. Tale a look at MPI stocks. They will also bed and finish the stock for you, and the end product will be better than the factory stock for not a lot more money.