The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2002, 06:49 PM   #1
willdaniels

Brass Question

im gonna try to reload my own ammo i was curious as to how many times can you reuse the brass ?
Old August 6, 2002, 07:17 PM   #2
cheygriz

All depends on the caliber and load. My 9MM brass lasts 20-30 loadings in target velocity, about 8-10 in +P and 3-4 in +P+. I have .38 special cases that have been loaded with wadcutters to target velocity in excess of 40 times.

My .338 WinMag hunting loads last about 4-5 loadings. The hotter you load, the less loadings you get from a case.
Old August 6, 2002, 07:26 PM   #3
willdaniels

im gonna be reloading .44 magnum
Old August 6, 2002, 07:40 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

A lot of it has to do with HOW you load your ammo.

If you load full-bore .44 Mag., which requries a pretty heavy roll crimp on the case mouth to prevent bullet jump, you'll be doing good if you get between 5 and 10 reloads before the case mouths split.

If you load .44 Spl. type rounds, low pressure, only a hint of crimp, your brass may well last indefinitely.

I've got some .38 Spl. brass that I bought as loaded ammo in 1982 that now has going on 60 reloads through it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 6, 2002, 07:46 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

And...
Bell the case mouths only enough to get the bullet started. The less the brass is worked, the longer it will last.

Sam
Old August 6, 2002, 08:27 PM   #6
willdaniels

thanks. i stumbled upon the firing line a few days ago and already i can tell its a wealth of info.
Old August 7, 2002, 01:13 PM   #7
cheygriz

Mike,

I was pleased to read your post about 60+ loadings in your .38 Spec brass. I though that I was "the champ" geting 40+ out of some of mine.

I've been wondering how long this batch will last. Looks like I can look forward to about 20 more loadings.

I don't know why .38 lasts so long, but I've got a batch that has been loaded 20+ loadings of +P. I wish all of my other calibers help up this well.
Old August 7, 2002, 02:54 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Griz,

Out of the original 50 cases, I have 41 left.

I've written down how and why each case died, and at what point.

I think the first case went around loading 30, suffering a body split from mouth to very nearly the web.

Most of the other cases have suffered similar failures.

.38 Spl. lasts for so long, even the +P version, because the case is relatively thick for the low pressure that is generated.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.