The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 2, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
miykael

Soft or Hard Rifle Case

Hi,

First year hunting, I have a hard rifle case for my other but was thinking of a soft case for my new hunting rifle. Pros and cons anyone? TIA.
Old October 2, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
B. Lahey

I generally prefer a soft case as you can roll it up and stuff it in a small area, or even use it as a rest for bench shooting.

But if you are going to strap it onto an ATV and zip around through wooded areas or otherwise beat it up, or your rifle is extra expensive or of sentimental value, a hard case may be better.

Depends on the situation, I guess.
Old October 2, 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

My rifle cases are used only for transport: Into, and out of, the house. To and from the shooting location. Sometimes for storage in the vehicle, while camping, etc.

I don't own a hard-sided rifle case. I've never felt the need, and have never had a soft-sided case let me down. (And I'm anal about so much as a tiny scratch on my rifles.)

But... individual situations do vary. For some people, it's definitely a good idea to get a hard-sided case.
My family understands that guns don't get tossed around, stepped on, or have other things stacked on them. If I had "friends" coming on a hunt, though... I might consider a hard-sided case. You never know how some people are going to treat your gear.

Having your $800 rifle with $700 scope jumped on, while on top of a tire iron is bad enough. Finding out the hard way that your friend knocked the scope's zero out, is a bad way to learn to buy hard-sided cases (and new "friends").
Old October 2, 2010, 03:50 PM   #4
hooligan1

It depends, ask yourself a few of these questions,,,, Will You be throwing the guncased gun in the back of a pickup truck? Will you be traveling by air? Will this be a super nice rifle that you couldn't ever bring yourself to even "accidently scratch"? In other words the Harder the Case the better the protection and traveling safety And lockability!!!!! Now be it, I have seen some real beauties brought out of a soft case,,,, and truth be known, the owners were slightly nervous about where they set those soft cased firearms!!!! I own a Gun-Guard double-rifle case, its lockable and airline approved. The company that makes them is the Plano Molding Co. I have had mine for almost thirty years, some of my latches gave way, so I emailed Plano, and they sent me enough new ones to totally redo it,, no charge!! I haven't had a scope get bumped in anyway, and no unexpected damage to any of my rifles carried in this case, knock on wood!!!
Old October 2, 2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Regolith

Soft. I had a hard case, ended up selling it to a friend who didn't have any cases for his two guns.

The hard cases are too bulky, IMO. The only time they're really useful is if you're traveling via airplane, or if you expect some really rough treatment.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Quickdraw Limpsalot

The cheapo "Doskosport" hard plastic cases do well enough for my needs. Soft cases are ok if I'm taking a beater to the field or headed to the range with something, but if it's going in the ol' pickemup truck, it gets hardcased (if the gun rack's full!)
Old October 2, 2010, 08:07 PM   #7
RaySendero

If it has a scope on it, I'm going to use a hard case!
Old October 2, 2010, 10:03 PM   #8
shortwave

I prefer padded soft cases for local hunting. If traveling, it's a hard case.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:06 PM   #9
4runnerman

I had a soft and sold it to get a hard.Soft is ok but hard is the way to go for added safty. Eample in your trunk on way to range you hit a bump something lands on soft case better hope it's lite. Scope could get damaged to easy in soft case
Just my 2 cents worth
Old October 3, 2010, 06:08 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse

How are you transporting your gun? Mine is usually in the back seat with another gun and gear so I opt for a hard case to protect the optics. My shotgun usually gets carried in a sleeve or a soft case however.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; October 3, 2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old October 3, 2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Deerhunter

All my guns and my bow have hard cases. I don't yet have a safe for the guns. I like storing them in hard cases. Plus it is nice to put in the back of the truck. Don't have to worry about them sliding around as much. I still like to pack the truck so they slide as little as possible. Also it is nice when I shoot a deer and throw it in the back of the truck. If a little blood gets on the hard case I can just spray it and wipe it off.
Old October 3, 2010, 06:24 PM   #12
BIGR

Hard case for the long distance travel to deer camp, which is about 235 miles from home. On those long trips the rifle is usually in the rear of the truck (yes it is in the dry due to a camper shell).

If I am hunting close to home I usually just use a soft case and have the rifle in the cab with me.
Old October 12, 2010, 06:07 AM   #13
HawkEyeEarl

soft and hard

I use both depending how rough the ride and how much space I have.

The soft case can go more places and be carried easier and be used as a rest or a pillow or a seat.

If I had just one, it would be a soft case.

Thanks
HawkEyeEarl
Old October 12, 2010, 09:58 AM   #14
spclPatrolGroup

I prefer soft, they are easier to store as they can all be shoved in a box or duffel bag when not in use, also hard cases do not breathe, so you have to be careful about moisture.
Old October 12, 2010, 05:50 PM   #15
phil mcwilliam

I prefer the hard plastic cases such as the Kolpin gun boot. These cases provide far more protection for your firearm than a soft case & can also be bolted to ATVs in the field. The only disadvantage is the bulk compared to a soft case. The hard plastic cases are also indestructable, where most of my old soft cases have ended up with broken zippers.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:47 AM   #16
hooligan1

At the range yesterday, a young lad and his father, both carrying soft cased rifles, stood them up outside their booth, and both fell over to the ground.. As they shot their rounds later I overheard the father say his scope had been knocked off of it's zero!!!! Mine get banged around sometimes after the hunt, when your loading up to go home, I swear by my Gun-Guard!!
Old October 17, 2010, 09:31 AM   #17
Smokey Joe

It depends...

Miykael--on the rifle, and on the intent.

My high-falutin' target rifles all travel in hard cases. Too much work goes into zeroing them to have them bumped.

My hunting rifles go in hard cases for transport (usually by truck or station wagon) and in soft cases for convenience during the hunt (when they will be cased and uncased several times/day)--IF I can scare up enough hard cases for them.

My so-what rifles, for plinking and such, always get a soft case, and they'd travel in gunny sacks if it were legal. (In my state it has to be enclosed "in a case manufactured for the purpose of containing a firearm" or some such nonsense, for transport.)

Rather much the same rules apply for my shotguns and handguns.

Now, archery equipment, OTOH, always gets hard cases--There are just too many fragile bits sticking out in too many directions!! And a crossbow case is the only thing that is more awkward to pack into the truck, than a French horn case, but there you are.

Then, the dogs can jump up on the load, we can bounce down a dirt lane, it can get dusty or rain can blow in, and there are no worries.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; October 17, 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old October 17, 2010, 10:00 AM   #18
hooligan1

Smokey,are you really located in the "State of Confusion"? anyways, my huntin buddy from the boothill also carries his bow in a hard case because of sight pins and such, good info dude!!
Old October 17, 2010, 10:18 AM   #19
Smokey Joe

Sure am!

Hooligan 1--Equidistant between 2 small towns: Infinity Corners, and Bureaucratic Mounds!

--Smokey Joe
Old October 17, 2010, 04:34 PM   #20
hooligan1

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were around D.C.!!!
Old October 17, 2010, 11:32 PM   #21
BfloBill

If you are really anal about how you pack and don't travel often or far with your gun, soft is fine. If you just want to chuck all your crap in the truck so you can get to camp faster, get the hard case.
Old October 18, 2010, 12:28 PM   #22
Smokey Joe

Hard Cases...

Mykael--I just got an e-mail from the CMP--They are selling hard cases that will hold a 'scoped rifle, for $30 plus abt. $10 shipping. That's cheaper by far than the price for which I can get a hard case locally, so I ordered one. No idea if it is much good yet, but from CMP it's likely to be. You might wish to check it out: www.odcmp.com then go to the e-store, establish an account, and proceed to "Equipment and Accessories" as the hard case doesn't seem to appear on the more "public" parts of the website. That's fussy, I admit, but dealing with the CMP in the past has been highly satisfactory for me despite the hoop-jumping required.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; October 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Check the URL
Old October 18, 2010, 03:30 PM   #23
James R. Burke

I use a hard case that is padded real good, and holds two rifles or shotguns etc. Nothing fancy just something I can throw in back of the truck, and not worry about the guns or banging up a real nice case.
Old October 21, 2010, 12:25 PM   #24
CharlesinCharge

I recommend a hard case

I know they are a little pricey, but I have to recommend Pelican gun cases. If your rifle is a cheap piece of junk maybe not, but any respectable firearm deserves good protection, which Pelican specializes in.

I personally use the Pelican 1750, which is long enough for most rifles and shotguns. I find it great for sitting on while hunting, and I never worry about tossing it in the back of my truck when its raining.

The best things about these cases is that they are nearly indestructible, and they are covered by the best warranty in the business. Pelican will repair or replace any case that is damaged for free (you'll have to pay for shipping though). So buying a used one is not a bad idea either. I know someone who bought a broken Pelican case on eBay for real cheap and then sent it in to Pelican and got a brand new one as a replacement. You might wanna try doing that, if you're looking for a bargain.
Old October 21, 2010, 05:02 PM   #25
miykael

Thanks

Wow, I'm amazed at all the responses! Thanks. I've got hard cases for my rifles now but thought that soft might be better to take hunting but figured the more protection of scope and zero the better. Thanks again for all the advice!

Tags
gun case , rifle case