The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 9, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Diopter adjustment on scope?

Are there scopes that have diopter adjustment on the ocular lens?

I've recently started to need reading glasses - my far vision is great, but anything closer than about 18" away is a little blurry. The generic drugstore "+1.5" glasses work fine.

If I use my scope without the reading glasses, the crosshairs are blurry, to the point of being doubled. I'm not going to buy a new scope just to avoid wearing a $10 pair of glasses, but if there are adjustable scopes out there, I'll keep them in mind for future purchases.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2
rjrivero

Almost all scopes have a diopter adjustment in the ocular lense. I bet yours does too. The eye-piece probably has a (-) --- (+) kind of marking on it. When you turn the eye-piece it will act as a focus knob. A lot of scopes have a LOCK RING that you can snug down when the focal length is appropriate for you.

For Reference, this is a manual for a bushnell scope. It shows how to adjust the focus on the ocular lense and the lock ring for it.

Last edited by rjrivero; October 9, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:18 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Well I'll be darned - you're right! The scope is a cheap CenterPoint 4-16x, so I just assumed there wasn't any adjustment. There are no diopter markings on the ocular lens, and when I turned the end of it, I thought I was just spinning the flip-up lens cover on the tube. But I kept turning, and sure enough, the focus of the crosshairs eventually changed.

Thanks a bunch - now I don't have to worry if I forget to bring my reading glasses to the range.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
rjrivero

Glad to help. Shoot strait!

Last edited by rjrivero; October 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM.