The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 28, 2012, 09:50 AM   #26
kraigwy

Quote:
More than a few pennies,
What did it cost to fight the fires in Utah that were caused by target shooting?

More then a few pennys.

What good is steel jacketed bullets if we loose the places to shoot them.

Maybe its just me, but I live in a high fire area and can see the dangers of both starting fires and getting areas cut off from shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #27
Mrgunsngear

People certainly have to use sound judgement. If I lived in WY, I'd be more apt to think along the lines you do. I shoot on land that is generally very damp as there are multiple lakes and rivers on my property and SC is a pretty rainy/humid place. That said, during dry times I do check the backstop and adust the area if needed.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Mr Budha

Quote:
What did it cost to fight the fires in Utah that were caused by target shooting?

More then a few pennys.

What good is steel jacketed bullets if we loose the places to shoot them.

Maybe its just me, but I live in a high fire area and can see the dangers of both starting fires and getting areas cut off from shooting.
Granted, those people who were target shooting should have been smarter given the conditions. I live in South Florida so it's almost never dry and I have never heard of a condition down here where shooting steel cased ammo has caused an issue.

I'm sure living where you are, i'd feel differently. Especially given your concern about shooting on public land. All it takes is one state to pass legislation and others will follow which is something none of us want.

That being said though, banning steel cased ammo because of a minority of shooters causing fires is like banning guns because of shootings like Aurora.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Baylorattorney

Love the stuff. Couldn't shoot as much if it weren't for Russia. Thousands of rounds an no failures, brush fires or abnormal barrel wear.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:47 PM   #30
MrGoodwrench

I definately see your point Kraigwy, but I think by taking certian precautions, any adverse effects caused by steel jackets can be avoided. You cant blame the product for the misuse thereof.
Old September 28, 2012, 07:56 PM   #31
mr.t7024

Russian Brown Bear

When I bought my Ruger Mini 14, I also bought 500 rounds of Tula. Quite a few misfires .I called Ruger about the ammo they said,"the Russian ammo will void any Warranty". I returned the remainder. I now shoot Federal.It was a Christmas gift from the Mrs. and I did not want to screw it up. I just wanted to share this information, thanks .Cliff