The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Martowski

CM9 or Nano?

Would like some thoughts on either of these sub-compact 9mms. I'm thinking of picking one of them up, and have looked at both in the shop.

I like the CM9's trigger and slide release, but the Nano feels "smoother" when racking the slide. And, I like that the Nano comes with a 6rd and an 8rd mag, typically for about $80 - $100 less than the CM9. The Nano's trigger felt heavier but still smooth, and outside of breaking either in and ensuring I'm familiar with the pistol I don't plan on it being a range gun. I've heard some of the earlier Nanos had FTE issues, but have read rumors this has been corrected (?).

I'm thinking of going with a Nano but would like to hear your input, especially from those with extensive time with each. Thanks!
Old March 10, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
certified106

Re: CM9 or Nano?

I was in the same boat awhile ago and shot a Nano and CM9 at a range an hour and a half from my house...... Long story short I walked away that day with a CM9. I just like the trigger pull and feel of the CM9 so much better. I currently have 800-900 rounds through my CM and have yet to have a FTE, FTL, or FTF. On my second mag I had the slide fail to lock back but more than likely it was thumb laying on the mag release. I adjusted my hold just a hair and have never had another problem.

I can easily drill an 8" Steel target from 40-50 feet with my CM and I attribute it to the excellent trigger! It is so smooth you its crazy. As to the Kahr feeling a bit rough it will break right in as smooth as butter after you fire it a couple hundred rounds through it. I also like the fact the Kahr will shoot +p ammo.

Good luck on your decision! I am sure that either of the guns are great firearms and you should be happy with either one!

Last edited by certified106; March 10, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
REDBULL600

I can not speak to the CM9 but Having a Nano I can. I have 1000rds through mine with no FTEs. I have had mine since Aug 2012. I have run some 115gr, maybe 100rd, but mostly 124gr. I have always heard it likes the premium stuff and I have run 1000rds of Aquila 124gr fmj and 100rds of some Bass Pro label 115gr lead, but we will see this weekend as I have found 300rds of 115gr assorted brand ammo. Saving all my 124gr for training courses.

At my last course there was a couple that both had Nanos and they were using the house (gun shop we where at) ammo which was 115gr with no problems. and they had earlier serial numbered Nanos.

I bought mine without knowing a thing about guns, and now I know (some things) I really like it; striker, no external thingys to catch on. Nice smooth lines, just wish they made another model but larger (compact size instead of Pocket, know what I mean?)

Good luck.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Akgeezer

I was also in the same boat, trying to pick which small carry pistol I should pick for my main warm weather EDC. All I can tell you is do a lot of research and then, if possible, shoot whatever you're considering before making your decision. Personal preference will always contridict one pistol over another, so it can be confusing, but I found the largest majority seem to favor the Kahr over the various competitors. I went with the CM 9 and have no regrets. Very accurate, very reliable, and wow what a sweet trigger. She's very light and easy to conceal. I believe the price is very reasonable for the fine pistol you get. Most all of the various Kahr magazines will work in the CM9, so if you need more rounds for home defense or range practice, that is easily remedied. Get what you like or you will not be happy. Good luck!
Old March 10, 2013, 09:07 PM   #5
shootniron

I am considering the same 2 right now. I really like the CM9, but my gut tells me to get the Nano. IDK
Old March 10, 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
TennJed

I was considering the same 2 also. Ended up with a Sig P290 and couldn't be happier. It is a little heavier but not enough to make carry an issue, it is enough to make recoil very manageable (it is actually fun to shoot)

Also come with extended 8 rd mag
Old March 10, 2013, 09:59 PM   #7
orionengnr

After owning many 9mm handguns and shooting a bunch more, my PM9 (predecessor to the CM9) is today the only 9mm handgun I own.

I pocket carried it every day for 3 1/2 years and shot it regularly with everything up to/including 127 +p+ Ranger carry loads. I am neither a young man nor large man, but it was (and is) the perfect combination of size, weight, and capacity.

Mine is a keeper. Try a CM9 if you can. If you are in North Texas, or visiting DFW area some time, you can try mine. Just pm me.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Fishbed77

The CM9 was an easy choice over the Nano for me.

My CM9 has been 100% reliable regardless of ammo type, has a very smooth and easy-to shoot trigger, and is a very well-made and soft-shooting little pistol.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:07 AM   #9
olddav

That's interesting, I picked the Nano because I liked the metal frame insert. Metal to metal contact (slide to frame) sure seems like a better system than the options.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:22 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

I am very happy with my CM9. Even though it was something of an impulse buy. I had been thinking of getting a Ruger LC9 beca we I liked my LCP SO KUCH. But the KAHR just happened to be on the table at a sildnt auction event during the NRA convention. Late in the bidding, with no bids on the table, and with the influence of watching too many episodes of Storage Wars when someone bid me up, and it was mine.
I don't regret the purchase in any way, and after comparing it with both the LC9, and NANO, I am even more satisfied with the CM9
100% reliable with any ammo I've tried, and quite accurate for a mini 9.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 11, 2013, 12:26 AM   #11
shootniron

Quote:
That's interesting, I picked the Nano because I liked the metal frame insert. Metal to metal contact (slide to frame) sure seems like a better system than the options.
This will probably be the reason that I go for the Nano.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:01 AM   #12
certified106

CM9 or Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootniron View Post
This will probably be the reason that I go for the Nano.
Have you guys ever taken down a CM9? CM9's have a long metal track in the front and a short metal track in the back that the slide rides on. Really no different than the other polymer frame pistols I own and the metal is molded into the frame.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:10 AM   #13
loganchieftain

I've got a Nano and I've played with a CM9. The Nano is a well made, reliable gun. The CM9 has a lower bore axis which should result in less muzzle flip though the lighter weight of the Kahr may offset the benefit to some degree. They both have long trigger pulls but the MP9 is smoother. There are several youtube videos comparing the two.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:35 AM   #14
AH.74

I like the Nano a lot but went with Kahr. I have a PM9 and a CM9 and don't hesitate to recommend the CM9 which I think is a great value.

I just didn't like not being able to lock the slide of the Nano back without having to use an empty mag. That was the deal-breaker for me.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:45 AM   #15
Martowski

Thanks for all the great responses. Sounds like most are from happy Kahr owners. Any more Nano owners out there care to share?
Old March 11, 2013, 09:37 AM   #16
vba

I chose the CM9 solely on the fact that Kahr has been in the small pistol business since its inception.

Mine has been reliable with my lead reloads, HP and FMJ and is my summer hot weather carry pistol of choice.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
The slide of the Kahr CM9 runs on steel inserts in the frame, just like almost any other polymer-framed pistol.

I'm not sure where this myth of it not having steel slide rail inserts came from.

There are steel inserts at slide rails at the back of the frame (above the grip). They are blackened, so they are hard to see against the black polymer, but they are definitely there. The front of the slide rides on clearly visible steel rails in the dustcover. A different location than most pistols, but steel nonetheless.

I have shot several thousand rounds through my CM9 at this point (all kinds of ammo, including +P) and there is no unusual wear at all. The slide basically does not come into contact with the polymer frame at all. It rides on the steel completely.

Last edited by Fishbed77; March 11, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:51 AM   #18
REDBULL600

Quote:
vba SAID; I chose the CM9 solely on the fact that Kahr has been in the small pistol business since its inception.
And Beretta has not? Not trying to flame ya, as a noob this caught me attention. just curious. can You expand on this more?

Kahr arms founded in 1995

Beretta firearms founded in 1526

S&W founded in 1852

Henry Deringer, a famous 19th-century maker of small pocket pistols.

Looking up the history of these arms markers is great read. I love history.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:29 AM   #19
kahrguy

I think ether pistol is a solid choice. The nano is close to a inbetween sized pistol when compaired to the cm9 and cw9 IF you use the little metal base plate on the cw9 mags. Price for the cm and cw series goes for about 375 around here.. Slide racking does tend to lighten up with rounds fired . And you will have to buy an extra mag with the kahr so guess that makes the price about 410??

I think the bigger plus for kahr is that you can buy a cm9 or a larger TP9 and both feel just alike in the hand and can use the same holster so nothing new to master or to buy if a 8 round mag is your backup if you want a large version . You can buy any pistol today and have a problem , does not matter the make but ammo and the shooter cause many problems.

Both of these make for a good pocket choice for many but if iwb is your choice maybe a cw9 would be a better choice. Ask if any forum members around you have ether for you to shoot to help with a choice. OR flip a coin??
Old March 11, 2013, 04:40 PM   #20
meanmachine1961

Recently purchased a Nano and am very pleased with the gun. Have never owned a CM9 but used to have a CW9 that I traded away when I got my Shield. I liked the CW9 but prefer the Shield & Nano over it.
Old March 12, 2013, 11:22 AM   #21
kflo01

Go With Ther CM9

Go with the CM9. Its smaller then the Nano and has a slide lock which is a must for me. Also it feels like their is way better craftsmanship into the CM9 than the Nano. Also thee are more aftermarket parts (3rd party) for the CM9 than the Nano at this point. Also the CM9 cost less but IMO is a better gun. I dont know how many mags the Nano comes with but the CM9 only comes with one and extra mags are about 40.00.

The CM9 is a joy to shoot. Its almost a match gun in a pocket pistol frame. YES it small enough to pocket carry.
Only negatives on mine is 1) There is no trigger reset. Its a long trigger and smooth not heavy at all but no reset. 2) The mags do not drop 100% they drop out about 2 inces then you pull them out.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:07 PM   #22
vba

REDBULL;

What I was trying to say is that Kahr has specifically designed smaller than normal 9mm pistols since its founding. While other companies, such as Beretta, were producing service size or even compact 9mm's. Their compact were not much smaller than its service sized pistol.

Kahr has made a living making small single stacks, such as the original K9 and smaller pistols such as the PM9/CM9. I think it is their forte. Because of the slide and barrel link design they are able to produce pistols with longer barrels but the slides are shorter compared to many competitors with the same length barrel.

In the link below you can see pictures of a comparison between the M&P Shield and Kahr CM9. Notice the slide on the Shield is much longer than the CM9 even though the barrel lengths are the same.

http://mp-pistol.com/mp-shield-pisto...lots-pics.html
Old March 12, 2013, 12:55 PM   #23
meanmachine1961

" Also the CM9 cost less but IMO is a better gun."

Boy, prices are sure a lot different here in Alabama. I recently bought my Nano new from Gander for $399.00. The CM9 was somewhere between $550.00 & $600.00.

The Nano comes with 2 mags and I just purchased an extra 6 rounder from Midway for $21.99.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:58 PM   #24
REDBULL600

vba; Gotcha.
A buddy of mine has a Kahr and it was his carry piece until his Father handed down a CZ. Now that is his carry piece. He still has it, I'll ask him to be sure to bring to the range the next I go with him.

Thanks.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:37 PM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
The mags do not drop 100% they drop out about 2 inces then you pull them out.
Mags drop free from my CM9.

Quote:
Boy, prices are sure a lot different here in Alabama. I recently bought my Nano new from Gander for $399.00. The CM9 was somewhere between $550.00 & $600.00.
Are you sure you weren't looking at a Kahr PM9?

I paid $327 out-the-door (including tax) for my new CM9 in February of 2012. It was on sale for $350, plus I got 10% off at a PSA store-opening sale. Normally, CM9s go for $420-$450 new. I've never seen one for over $450.