The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 25, 2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Jim Baird

Arisaka

I recently received an Arisaka 99 rifle from a widow of a friend of mine. My friend was stationed in Japan after WW II and he apparently brought it home with him.It sat in their closet for the last 60+ years until she was cleaning.I wish I could have got more info from him while he was alive.I would like to know as much as I can about this rifle and I thought maybe some of you folks might help with some Questions. 1. From what I have read most Model 99's have a model # on the top of the receiver. This one does not.Is this common? 2.This rifle also does not have a cleaning rod nor a place to store one. There is not a hole under the barrel to slide one in.Is this common?3.There are also little amber colored jewels enbedded in the stock. What could this be?I have included some pictures and I hope someone can help me. Thanks Jim Baird
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arisaka 001.jpg (35.2 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg arisaka 002.jpg (34.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg arisaka 003.jpg (38.7 KB, 156 views)
Old December 25, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Jim Baird

Overall picture of Arisaka

Here is an overall picture I should have included. Thanks Jim B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arisaka.jpg (34.2 KB, 161 views)
Old December 25, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
the rifleer

I don't know much about this rifle, but I can tell you that the mum that is on the receiver makes this rifle much more valuable/collectable that most Arisaka's. At the end of WWll most of the Arisaka's had the mum destroyed because the mum signifies that it is property of the empire. When the Japanese knew there was a chance of the rifle falling into enemy hands they destroyed the mark.

I think the simple fact that it has that increases the values by $100-200 over most arisaka's.

EDIT- the other thing is this appears to be a "last ditch rifle", meaning they hastily made it in an effort to win the war. Thats why it has a poor stock and a wood but plate. You actually have a fairly rare rifle. I don't know its value or if its even safe to shoot, but it is certainly neat! hopefully someone else tells us exactly what you have.

I think the absence of a cleaning rod hole supports that it is a "last ditch" rifle.

I think the absence o

Last edited by the rifleer; December 25, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old December 25, 2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Jim Baird

Arisaka

It does make sense that this might be a last ditch rifle. I wonder if the amber jewels in the stock make have been placed there by the person who the rifle was issued to. It is cool!
Old December 25, 2011, 02:44 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

There are last ditch rifles and there are last ditch rifles...

I'm not an Arisaka expert, but will do some research, when I find the right reference material.

One thing I can tell you is that the Arisaka had many of the early features dropped to save production time and resources late in the war.

The Monopod and the AA sight went away, the stock got cruder, the finish on the metal was worse. Your rifle still has the dustcover on the action, something that was nearly universally thrown away by troops in combat. The dustcover was an early feature and if your rifle is "last ditch" I don't think the dust cover would have been added. However, strange combinations are possible and can be historically accurate.

The very last ditch rifles made, when US invasion of the home islands seemed imminent were very crude, some reportedly made of cast iron. They also took drill rifles and dummy rifles and reworked them to be able to be fired.

Many of these rifles (and all cast iron ones) are NOT safe to shoot!

The intact "mum" does mean increased collector intrest, because it indicates the rifle was not officially surrendered.
Old December 25, 2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Very nice original war bring back! Here is a link to a forum dedicated to milsurps that might be of use in finding out about your new treasure: http://milsurpshooter.net/forums/74/...m#.TveKrzU7X4s
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 25, 2011, 10:56 PM   #7
howiej52

It might just be me butt!!!

A closer look may help everyone. Looks like a t-38 carbine.
Old December 26, 2011, 12:12 AM   #8
tater134

Quote:
A closer look may help everyone. Looks like a t-38 carbine.
Its a Type 99. The Type 38 has two vent holes on the receiver and the Type 99 has one.

Your rifle was manufactured at the Toyo Kogyo arsenal and it looks to be a series 35 but I would need a better photo of the series marking to be sure. (the stamp to the left of the serial number in your photo is the series mark) It is normal to not have the type markings on the receiver on a late war rifle such as yours. If it is indeed the 35th series it is somewhat rare because there were only around 57,000 produced that year. Another interesting thing to note is that the factory that produced your rifle was located in the Hiroshima prefecture and was producing rifles up until the day the bomb was dropped. Does the serial number on your dust cover match the number on the receiver?

Also does the bayonet have any markings? If so could you post some better photos of them and a better photo of the scabbard and frog?

Last edited by tater134; December 26, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old December 26, 2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Jim Baird

arisaka

Thanks for the info Tater. Here are a couple more pictures. I cant find any more markings on the bayonet or the scabbard. It looks like there could have possibly been a mark on the top of the handle of the bayonet at one time. Have you any idea what might have been up with the amber jewels? Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arisaka 007.jpg (31.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg arisaka 008.jpg (40.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg arisaka 009.jpg (33.0 KB, 69 views)
Old December 26, 2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Jim Baird

Ariska

P.S. There is no # on the dust cover.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:35 AM   #11
muddinman_04

No rifles within this series had dust covers from the factory although the grooves were still present. With the post war butt plate work, I'd venture to say that it was probably added at that time. No way to tell for sure.

It really is a shame that someone cut the wood buttplate off and did whatever that is they did....very nice rifle otherwise!
Old December 26, 2011, 11:38 AM   #12
tater134

Definitely a series 35. You have a very collectible last ditch rifle with some interesting history since it was built in Hiroshima in 1945. The jewels were probably added by the GI that brought the rifle back to spruce up his souvenir.

The dust cover is probably off of a training rifle since it is not numbered. Its interesting that this rifle has a dust cover because the Japanese dropped unnecessary features from their rifles as the war went on to speed up production and save materials. The patina on the cover matches the rest of the rifle and it looks like its been on there for quite some time.

The bayonet is a trainer bayonet and the scabbard and frog are uncommon last ditch pieces that were produced at the end of the war.
Old December 26, 2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Jim Baird

Arisaka

Thanks for all your help. Jim B.
Old December 27, 2011, 12:01 AM   #14
Gunplummer

I collected Arisakas for a lot of years and just this past year had a few auctions to unload (Getting old). The commonly called "Last ditch" have gone up in value if they are original. I already for got if you said the bayonet has a matching # or not. That would really bump the price up. The "Jewels" you are talking about look like brass nails or nails with shellac over them used to repair the two piece stock. The original wooden butt plate is on there, but that rubber thing is an add on. If you hold the dust cover up and look at the back there should be real small serial numbers on it. The bayonet and cover may be worth more than the rifle. I have had that happen already.
Old February 27, 2012, 10:52 AM   #15
zbones6

Arisaka 38 value?

Over the summer, my uncle gave me his Type 38 Arisaka. I have no intention to sell it, but would like to know how valuable it is. The Mum is defaced, but it has all matching serial numbers and no import markings, as it was a bring back. Its got a dark bore, but there is zero pitting and almost perfect rifling. Besides the Mum area, it has 99% blueing. And theres no front sight. The base is still there, but the post was drifted off the dovetail. The stock is in fair shape, minor dings here and there, with one large gauge in the left side by the receiver. Ill work on posting some pictures.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:14 AM   #16
tater134

Quote:
Over the summer, my uncle gave me his Type 38 Arisaka. I have no intention to sell it, but would like to know how valuable it is. The Mum is defaced, but it has all matching serial numbers and no import markings, as it was a bring back. Its got a dark bore, but there is zero pitting and almost perfect rifling. Besides the Mum area, it has 99% blueing. And theres no front sight. The base is still there, but the post was drifted off the dovetail. The stock is in fair shape, minor dings here and there, with one large gauge in the left side by the receiver. Ill work on posting some pictures.
If you start a new thread about your type 38 and post some full length photos of the rifle along with a good close up shot of the markings on the left side of the receiver we can help you out with the value.