The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 19, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1
ang4me

Which gun for IPDA?

Hey guys,
There's an IDPA competition group not too terribly far from where I live, and I'm starting to get a little bit bored at the range, so I was thinking about trying it out sometime. I have a Keltec P-11 (10 rd mag, have 2 mags total right now) and a S&W 640 (5-rd .357/.38, don't have any speedloaders yet). Obviously neither of these guns are ideal for IDPA competition shooting, but is one going to be better than the other? I'm pretty competent with both, at least when I'm standing still at the range shooting at stationary targets... Which category would each gun fall into? And what's the max range you have to shoot for IDPA? Related: how good/bad is a 1911 in .45 acp (8 rd mag) for IDPA?

Side note: I'm in this to become a better shooter, not to win matches or anything like that.
Old March 19, 2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Steve in PA

The idea behind IDPA is a competition based on the type of gun you will be carrying on a daily basis, so which ever one you will find yourself carrying the most, use for IDPA.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:15 AM   #3
MrBorland

Since your motivation is to become a better shooter, I'd echo Steve in PA.

I'd likely pick the KelTec to start, since, unlike the j-frame, it can be loaded to division capacity.

Shooting revolvers in competition is an exercise in reloading skills, which would really be put to the test with a 5-round gun. Since you don't even own speed loaders yet, I see you experiencing more frustration than anything else if you jump right in with your 640.

I can wholly recommend using your 640 at some point (it would most certainly make you a better shooter), but I'd buy some speedloaders (CompIIIs or Jetloaders), holders, and dummy rounds and practice your reloads at home first.

Max range? Depends on the match. Most shots are 7-10 yards. A long-ish shot could be 15 yards. Though rare, a 20-25 yard shot occasionally shows up at one of our local matches.

A .45 1911 for IDPA? It's an excellent choice - so much so that there's an entire division largely just for them - Combat Defense Pistol (CDP).
Old March 20, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Two more magazines for the Keltec would be a big help.
You are allowed one in the gun and two on the belt. The extra is for a "Barney Bullet" to load the chamber with to get to a 10+1 start with a minimum of fumbling.

You must have a strong side holster. An IWB is the most concealable but an OWB is faster and safer. You may reload from your pocket but a magazine carrier is faster and easier.

You must frequently draw from under a "concealment garment." This is something to practice dryfire with an empty gun until you can do it without getting tangled in your shirttail or jacket hem.

Don't get discouraged if you don't go out and set the range on fire the first time (or dozen times) like you often read about on the internet. There is a lot to learn and it does not come naturally. Matches are not training, they are a test of your skill and a pointer to what you need practice at.

I haven't repeated The Four Priorities in a while, so here they are:

First and Foremost: Be safe. Don't hurt anybody, don't scare anybody, don't get disqualified for safety rule violation.
Second: Follow instructions. The Course of Fire will tell you what you should do. Keep your wits about you and your eyes open and run the stage as prescribed. You will not see the same thing twice the same day... maybe not ever.
Third: Hit the target. You cannot miss fast enough to win.
Fourth: Move along. Your time is your score, with additions for poor hits and poor execution, so don't dawdle around. Don't stare at the target trying to score it, don't talk to yourself, just execute and shoot. But, do not run before you walk, LITERALLY, you've got to get through the stage safely.

Last edited by Jim Watson; March 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old March 20, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5
ang4me

TWO more magazines? I thought I only needed 3 mags total. I just ordered another one (a 12-rd mag) so that I can chamber a round and still have 10 (or 11 if need be) more left over. But now I need 4 mags?

I also just picked up a new paddle holster and a double mag pouch; I can't wait to go to my first match.

Will people look at me funny if I use a realistic cover garment (I'm just not a vest kind of guy), like an untucked t-shirt or button-down?

Thanks for all the great advice, keep it coming. I know the keltec is not a gun meant to fire tens of thousands of rounds, but 9mm is so cheap, I figure I'll do some competitions with this gun, learn more about the sport, and hopefully next year or in 6 months upgrade to a S&W 1911 in .45acp, which I think will probably live through however many rounds I can afford to shoot through it.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
MrBorland

Your goals and equipment would be perfect for Pocket Carry Competition, which a local venue started and is popular already. If you're close by, check it out. If not, maybe see if your local IDPA venue would be interested in hosting PCCA matches.

http://pocketcarrycomp.com/default.aspx

http://caswellranch.com/CowboyRevolverComp.aspx

http://carolinashootersforum.com/showthread.php?t=93125
Old March 20, 2011, 06:20 PM   #7
Jim Watson

TWO more magazines? I thought I only needed 3 mags total. I just ordered another one (a 12-rd mag) so that I can chamber a round and still have 10 (or 11 if need be) more left over. But now I need 4 mags?

Not if you have a 12 shot you can load with 11 to start off.

I also just picked up a new paddle holster and a double mag pouch; I can't wait to go to my first match.

All you need in that area.

Will people look at me funny if I use a realistic cover garment (I'm just not a vest kind of guy), like an untucked t-shirt or button-down?

"Realistic" concealment is pretty common. I have been known to wear an aloha shirt. A button down you can sweep open is easier to work with than pulling up a t-shirt. Starch it so it doesn't wrap around your arm.