The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1
damo450

Trade Spikes Mid Lenght Upper for Olympic Arms Match target upper?

Hello all. Earlier in the week I posted about trading my spikes tactical for a PTR91. Now, I had my rifle posted for trade for another varmint rifle, only in AR format. I have a guy wanting to trade me my Spikes mid length upper for a Olympic arms target match upper. He wanted to trade the whole rifle but I would rather have the upper only and keep my lower. I am having very little luck finding any GOOD SOLID information on this rifle. All the reviews are many years old. And most will slam Oly arms. That being said I also see that the rifles are uber accurate. So what gives? I am a hunter. Have always had an AR (or two or three) but have never really got into them. Now, I want a functional (for me) gun. A coyote and prairie dog killer. Any thoughts? I always appreciate the opinions on this forum. I am and indecisive person. So you all always help.

Damo
Old March 14, 2013, 04:18 AM   #2
globemaster3

Do you have the actual model number so I can look it up in their catalog to refresh my memory?

BTW, I own a few Olympic rifles with more on order. I have no problems with fit/finish/function/accuracy.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old March 14, 2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Mobuck

The most accurate AR that I've owned was an older Olympic(from back before flattops when they milled off the carry handle and D&T for regular scope bases). My older Son had his choice of any rifle on my display and that's the one he picked. I have several Olympic uppers and a couple of their lowers and all are excellent quality and performance. Put aside those internet blurbs about quality issues with this brand. Those all stemmed from some economy grade lowers made from castings which is no longer done. All the uppers are topnotch IMHO.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Spikes > Olympic IMHO.

My advice - keep the Spikes rifle, and be on the lookout for a varmint/match upper to add to your collection.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
damo450

To Globemaster3

Its the K8 model target match. I have decided to do the trade rifle for rifle instead of uppers. Its a sweet rifle and I have seen way to many .25" groups from these guns to pass it up. The spikes is just an AR just like every other production AR, IMHO. I have owned two colts, one RRA elite operator, one RRA LAR15, and one custom built M4. THey have all functioned and shot the exact same. All were 100% reliable. The only rifle I have any opinion about is a bushmaster varminter. And my opinion of that rifle is not favorable. I'm pulling the trigger!
Old March 15, 2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Mobuck

Excellent choice IMHO
Old March 15, 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
globemaster3

damo, the K8 is a good rifle. The specs are:
20" Bull Barrel, 416 Stainless Steel with a satin, bead blasted finish, 1X9 or optional 1X8 twist on their 5.56 offering, and it should have "Targetmatch" pantographed on the lower. As factory issued, should have an A2 stock, but could be ordered with a 6-position collapsable. MSRP is $908.70.

The rifle is also offered in 6.8 SPC.

I've held one, but have not shot one. I have a couple K-16s which are similar, but with 16" bull barrels made from 4140 Chromemoly Steel chambered in both 5.56 and 6.8. I also have one of their K68s.

Heads up, though. The chambers/bore are NOT chrome lined, a decision they made to increase accuracy.

Have fun with it!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."