The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 28, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Bowdog

Legal Defense

Has anyone joined the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network? It seems like a great idea. What do you think?
Old January 28, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Yes, I think it is an idea with a lot of promise to it although I have to caveat that by saying I haven't followed my own advice and done it yet. I'm an attorney myself and the kind of help they say they provide in a self-defense legal related matter would be extremely helpful even to me.

I've also "internet-known" several of the people involved for 10 years now and they've always been good, solid people to deal with in the past. If nothing else, Marty Hayes is doing a huge service with some of his legitimate self-defense legal related articles. Some of the articles that they publish are just tremendous in clearing up some common myths about the aftermath of a self-defense shooting.

I'd pay them just to get more articles like their discussion of the Larry Hickey shooting incident.
Old January 28, 2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Bowdog

It does seem that most people wait to its to late and try to join after they have had a SD shooting.Don't wait it could ruin your life and your family's too.
Old January 29, 2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I haven't joined, but it does seem to be a good idea. The realities of defending an SD shooting are fairly harsh, regardless of whether you win or lose. If I were still in private practice, I'd have called them to see if I could pick up some of their cases in my state. .
Old January 30, 2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

I've been a member for a few years. I hope I never have to call on Marty and the gang, but I think belonging is prudent for someone who owns a gun and may use it in self defense.

I've never met Marty, but I've been impressed by what he's written. I have met Massad Ayoob, and I'm impressed that he's involved with the organization.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; January 30, 2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old January 30, 2011, 02:07 AM   #6
jmortimer

"Yes, I think it is an idea with a lot of promise to it although I have to caveat that by saying I haven't followed my own advice and done it yet. I'm an attorney myself and the kind of help they say they provide in a self-defense legal related matter would be extremely helpful even to me."Same here - it is the expert witness fees that are the real killer and they have the expertise. I worked on a few firearms cases but I am no expert.