The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2009, 09:56 AM   #1
ibnhall

Charles Daly Shotguns?????

I attended a local gun show and I ran across a Charles Daly pump. I don't know alot about this brand so I didn't buy it. Anyone had experience with them good, or bad?
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language." Daewoo DP51C (9mm), Ruger SP101 (.357), Springfield XD Subcompact (.40), Kimber Custom II (.45), Kel Tec P32 (.32), Ruger Mark III (.22LR), S&W 32 "Lemon Squeezer" (.32 S&W), Ruger P95 (9mm), Glock 19,
Old October 26, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Dustin0

I had Charles Daly Semi it was a good gun. Remember that Charles Daly does make any guns. They are made by someone else with the Charles Daly name on them. So If you look at the way the gun is made and where you can tell what gun it really is.
Old October 26, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3
OlympicArmsFan

I have heard good and bad things from just about every board but for the most part good.

If you looking to have a differnt stock or some mods it wont happen until CD brings them out.

Thats a draw back and for the prices you can get a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 Express.

Check out www.budsgunshop.com and Im sure more will follow with better info.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Messersmith

The current line of Charles Daly pump and semi auto shotguns are made in Turkey. I have a CD tactical style pump and it functions wonderfully. It's fit and finish (on my example at least) are better than the Mossberg and probably on par with the 870.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
It's fit and finish (on my example at least) are better than the Mossberg and probably on par with the 870.
It isn't fair to compare the CD to a wingmaster. The express finish is appalling! Junior bought the express super mag and the barrel looks parkerized when in actuality it is just 100% unpo;ished and lightly blued... No wonder the #1 complaint of the express is barrel rust.

The 500's I look at all have a polished barrel and I consider the fit to be quite impressive for a sub $300 pump gun with wooden furniture... Yeah I know it ain't gonna be fine tiger striped maple or "burl grain" but at least it is an American made firearm of exceptional reliability. Sorry to jack the thread as I know nothing first hand about the CD's as they are just another imported clone gun to me... I don't even give them a glance when out in the gun stores.
Brent
Old October 27, 2009, 08:21 PM   #6
5whiskey

I've heard that they were decent guns, but unless it was considerable cheaper than a mossberg or 870 express I probably wouldn't consider it.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
rantingredneck

I had one of their semi's. It liked to light strike. After it cost me a deer I traded it to my local shop for an 870.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old October 27, 2009, 09:04 PM   #8
ADB

I have one of their semis. A great shotgun in my opinion--light, easy to handle, solid parts and action, low recoil, only time it's ever failed is with bad shotshells--some Winchester Super X where the hulls were expanding so much that they were catching on the ejection port. Every other brand worked fine. The mechanism is well designed too--it's basically very much like a pump-action, but one where the pump is gas-driven.

Granted I've never used another shotgun, but then I haven't really wanted to. This one's killed lots of pests and never once been problematic.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Mike U.

I had a CD Field Model 12 ga. pump. Made in Turkey, it was really light and appeared fairly well made. Shooting heavy loads out of it was no fun. I ended up selling it last year during a time of personal economic disaster.
I much prefer it's replacement, the NEF Pardner. It's an all around heavier duty type of shotgun, IMO. Firing 3" loads aren't as ouchy with the NEF either.
BUT, the CD wasn't bad for the money. It was considerably cheaper than a NIB 870.
Old October 28, 2009, 05:55 PM   #10
ActivShootr

I have a 20 ga semi that has ran pretty good for about 3 yrs now.
Old October 28, 2009, 08:25 PM   #11
the rifleer

When i was in the market for a shotgun the guy at big 5 talked me out of it. They are made it turkey, replacement parts are hard to find and you cant change a single thing about it, or else it voids the warranty. If it breaks, its hard to fix. He said that many gun smiths refuse to work on them because if they cant fit them, charles daly wont take it and then the smith is stuck with a broken gun.
Old October 28, 2009, 11:48 PM   #12
mrnkc130

I have a 12 gauge semi-auto that never works, cant figure out why, not sure its worth the money to try and get fixed...its for sale
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old October 29, 2009, 01:18 AM   #13
ADB

Quote:
I have a 12 gauge semi-auto that never works, cant figure out why, not sure its worth the money to try and get fixed...its for sale
What does it do wrong?

And I'll give you $20 for it.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:02 AM   #14
MAX100

The CD is a very simple design and not much can wrong with it. The ejector is very thick steel and it would be unlikely that it would break. The extractor is machined steel and it's very similar in design to the 870 extractor. The CD pump shotgun design is similar to the 870 but no parts will interchange.

I am working a review of the CD tactical pump and here are a few preview pictures.

This picture shows the two internal parts of the CD Pump, The steel bolt looks similar to the 870. The bolt sits on the charging assembly and it fits into a plastic slot on the forend. The CD pump has two shell latches like the 870 but they are shorter & much thicker and held in place by a steel pin. They aren't staked in place like the 870.

This picture shows the CD shotgun's very thick aluminum receiver. The rail is held on by five screws and the rear GRS is held on by two screws. It's a very strong rail and GRS setup. The GRS are nice and very similar to the LPA GRS.

The front Ghost ring sight which is very low profile because the rear sight is mounted on the receiver and not high up on rail.

Like I said not much can go wrong with one and all parts a drop in fit. If I had a choice between a standard Mossberg 500 or a CD pump would choose the CD pump hands down.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; October 29, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:07 AM   #15
mrnkc130

i'd say 2 out of 5 rounds it fails to fire. its been completely stripped down and cleaned several times. one of my friends borrowed it (who is into shotguns and skeet shooting) and he took it apart and cleaned it and couldnt figure out why it wasnt firing. $20 is a little too low, like i said it does work 60% of the time.. also i thinkg mag spring is bad last round usually fails to feed.
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old October 29, 2009, 02:18 AM   #16
MAX100

Quote:
i'd say 2 out of 5 rounds it fails to fire.
Has the problem been investigated. It should be easy to figure out what's going on.

Make sure the barrel is seated into the receiver all the way. Check for light primer strikes or non at all.

GC
Old October 29, 2009, 04:33 AM   #17
mrnkc130

My friend that borrowed it tore it apart looking for a problem but couldnt find anything wrong. I havent personally looked really close at it because i never shoot it (it was a partial trade for some junk on craigslist) but i doubt if he didnt find the problem that i would find it, he knows firearms very well.

I wasnt trying to rag on charles daly just telling my story, i have a newer charles daly shotgun that doesnt appear to have many rounds thru it or appear to have been abused, but doesnt work all the time...
Old October 29, 2009, 04:36 AM   #18
mrnkc130

I'll see if I can make time in the next few days to take a good look at it see if i can figure out what the problem is and find out the model # and all that so as not to give charles daly and undue poor review.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:17 AM   #19
Messersmith

Thanks for the pics and comments Max. I have the same shotgun (minus the rail) and agree with all of your comments. Very nice gun for the $$

One of the nice things about the CD defense/tactical line is the interchangeable chokes. Most manufacturers do not offer this on their home defense/tactical shotguns. With an extra full choke installed, it makes a dandy turkey outfit.

Last edited by Messersmith; October 29, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old October 29, 2009, 04:53 PM   #20
ADB

Okay, $40.

Quote:
i'd say 2 out of 5 rounds it fails to fire. its been completely stripped down and cleaned several times.
I'd bet it's a firing pin issue.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:34 PM   #21
ibnhall

Thanks for all the input. I'm buying it tomorrow....I will let you know how it goes
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language." Daewoo DP51C (9mm), Ruger SP101 (.357), Springfield XD Subcompact (.40), Kimber Custom II (.45), Kel Tec P32 (.32), Ruger Mark III (.22LR), S&W 32 "Lemon Squeezer" (.32 S&W), Ruger P95 (9mm), Glock 19,
Old January 17, 2016, 10:38 PM   #22
SouthernComfort32344

Maybe an old thread but I will be picking mine up tomorrow, also looking for a +2 tube and a side saddle.
Would like a new forearm but will just cut the overlap off the factory one for now.