The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2008, 05:32 PM   #1
albsch

Tumbler Media

Just purchased a Lyman 1200 tumbler for processing my brass and have questions about the media. I have read where both corn cob and walnut shell are used. Which will clean, provide a reasonably shiny finish, and process the brass better? I looked at the prices of both types and thought that at Cabala's they were high. I have called around and found a source that can provide both types the catch is they both come in 50 pound bags. The price on walnut is .71 a pound and the cob is .32 per pound but 50 pounds of either should last a very long time and I want to make the correct purchase the first time. I will be processing mainly pistol brass but will occasionally tumble some rifle as well. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old August 11, 2008, 06:16 PM   #2
BigJimP

I prefer walnut shells - but at the price difference you have - go for the corn cob media.

I have used media from other sources - like pet stores - but sometimes its pretty dusty. I might suggest tossing a couple of anti-static dryer sheets into the vibrator as well to cut down on the dust if its ground too fine.

The only media I bought that I really hated - was a Lyman product - and they sell it in a "red" and "green" and it left a nasty coating on all the cases as it broke down. Honestly, since then I've just been buying it from Dillon unless I see a deal on it at one of the gun shows or at a pet store. 50 lbs will last you a couple of years petty easily.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:10 PM   #3
mikenbarb

My kids smash up black walnut shells and they work great with Cabela's case polish. I also use lizzard bedding but its too big for small necks. Theres a couple deals on Gun Broker for plain walnut shell media or corn cob in different mesh sizes.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:12 PM   #4
wncchester

"I have read where both corn cob and walnut shell are used. Which will clean, provide a reasonably shiny finish, and process the brass better?"

Don't know if you can say either is "better", they are somewhat different. The difference is slight and both have their fans. Walnut is a little harder grit so it cleans a little faster and gives a slightly lower shine. Otherwise...mox nix.

You will need to add a bit of polish, a spoonfull of auto polish works great, to either type if you want much shine on the cases. An ounce of mineral spirits (oderless paint thinner) added to the media from time to time will reduce much of the "dust" left on the cases. And a 3" square of paper towel or dryer sheet will trap small particles in the media so you can toss it out after each batch of brass.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:23 PM   #5
BigV

Do yourself a favor and go to your local pet store and ask for walnut reptile bedding. They sell it in small and large bags. It’s a lot cheaper and does a great job in cleaning your brass. Put a cap full of brass polish in every other load along with some cut up dryer sheets to absorb the dust. Replace the dryer sheets every load and make sure you cut them into 3”X 3” sections.
Old August 11, 2008, 08:28 PM   #6
elkman06

clean, shiny-===corn cob
clean, duller===walnut.

I personally like corn cob.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old August 11, 2008, 10:34 PM   #7
IGO1320

both

I run the brass in walnut first for about 45 minutes then switch to corn cob, gives you very clean and shiny brass.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:18 AM   #8
mikenbarb

They also have ceramic cleaning media thats supposed to work great and last a long time. BUT, its real expensive and I dont know anyone who has used it but in sure someone here has and can tell you how it works.
Old August 12, 2008, 09:08 AM   #9
ryalred

I have used both walnut and corncob media and I prefer the corncob. That's just my preference. Neither are terribly expensive, try both and decide what you like.
reloading -- addicted
Old September 23, 2008, 09:48 PM   #10
REDTAIL

Media

Midway usa has great media that lasts quite a while and their pricing is great also, iv'e been using it for manny years with no problems
Old September 23, 2008, 11:09 PM   #11
farnorthdan

petsmart

is where I buy my media, get a large bag of the walnut and it will last a long time. as far as dust goes, I pour a cap full of mineral spirits in and it works great for keeping the dust down.

DS

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old September 24, 2008, 12:04 AM   #12
Swampghost

Be an 'eco' nut, eat the walnuts, hickory nuts first and then bash the shells. Great therapy when the Ol' lady ticks you off.

Nut shells are hard and will produce a 'scratched' appearance, corncobs are softer and will produce a like new appearance. It all depends on what you want.

Down here it's really hard to fire the shiney stuff, rounds can go green over the weekend.
Old September 24, 2008, 01:29 PM   #13
CowTowner

I get corn cob media from http://www.reloadersauction.com and walnut from PetsMart. I mix them 50/50 and add a cap full of NuFinish every other batch of brass. I also put 2 or 3 2"x2" squares of used dryer sheet in to collect the crud.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 24, 2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Yellowfin

I find it impossible to trust the media these days.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:06 PM   #15
benzuncle

Right On Yellowfin. The media's either nuts or corny!