The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 15, 2002, 01:19 AM   #1
RomaRana

Metal polishing?

After I bent my bolt by heating it and hammering it was left with lots of cuts and gashes. Also The bolt body was darkened. I used my dremmel starting with the different stones and worked
down to a polishing compound. BUT I was not able to remove all of the tool marks(left by the stones. Scratches were left. Also when I attempted to remove the darkness on the bolt body I also left tool marks on the bolt body.

How the hell do I get these little scratches off. What kinds of tools should I have. If the dremmel what heads should I use and in what order. I started with the lower grit stones and then worked up into the rubber impregnated
ones. Then I used the polishing set. It shines but the marks still remain.Also, what is the best tool to polish the bolt head in a uniform manner?

also, should I checker the bolt after polishing it or before?
Old January 15, 2002, 08:22 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You'll need to use the felt wheels and bobs with various grits of polish to get rid of these. It will take some time. Polish before checkering. George
Old January 16, 2002, 12:13 AM   #3
DeBee

Cratex Rods are good for polishing bolts and such...

I got a bunch from a dental technician buddy of mine- those crowns and bridges are made from a similar steel to chrome moly...

These can sometimes be found on Ebay...
Old January 16, 2002, 11:11 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm hesistant to use dremel tools since the smaller diameter wheels really don't give as consistent of a finish as a larger buffing wheel does. For light scratch marks, you can use a very fine file and finish up with emery paper (or small belt sander). I've also hand polished thing using emery paper. It takes a lot of time, but when you're sitting around a motel room bored out of your wits, it helps to pass the time.
Old January 16, 2002, 12:46 PM   #5
RomaRana

Now If I do get a wheel how do I use it on the handle. I mean working on the bolt is a very tight space.