The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 3, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Why different concealed guns for different temperature?

I live in Florida so the majority of my days are spent between 75 and 100 degrees with about 15-20% of them below 50 and 5-10 days a year getting as low as 25.

That said, it kind of puzzles me when someone says "I carry X in cold weather and Y in warm weather." Any explanations? Just for different types of dress?
Old March 3, 2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Primarily for different kinds of dress, in my case. In hot weather, particularly when I wear shorts (sorry for THAT image), I don't really have a place to hide a full-sized pistol. In that case, I can pocket carry. In cooler weather, especially when I can wear a jacket or coat, concealing a full-sized pistol is much easier.

There's also an argument (the validity of which I will leave to those who really know more about gunfights than I) that since bad guys will also wear more layers of clothing in winter, it's a good idea to carry something with more oomph in the winter than in the summer.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3
.40cal

I agree with Spats... I would have to say that the logic behind carrying concealed is to carry what is comfortable. While it would be great to be able to carry a full size semi auto with a huge magazine, its not always practical / comfortable.

It also depends on where I'm carrying. This may sound silly but if I'm walking my property (in shorts) and still want to carry concealed, I can carry my G17 and not worry so much about printing (but the pistol is still out of sight anyway).

If I am at Walmart (in shorts), I normally carry my Charter Arms Off Duty, or Ruger LCP. If I am wearing a Carthart jacket or something heavy I can easily conceal my full sized Glock, no problem.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Sharpsdressed Man

Pretty obvious. Cold weather permits bulkier clothes, which allow easier concealment of larger, more powerful guns. Larger, more powerful guns are PREFERRED for the better results they offer in stopping a hostile attack. Smaller, more easily concealed guns are often preferred by some, but those weapons don't get the same results as the big guns, and may seriously compromise your safety.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:37 PM   #5
AK103K

Ive carried the same guns (usually a full size with a reload, and a smaller back up), all year round, my whole life, and really havent found it to be much of a chore. Summers here are often in the upper 90's with high humidity, winters can be in the teens and 20's.

I think a lot of the "swapping" these days, is due to the availability of all sorts of "little" guns, and people not willing to, or thinking they "cant", dress around the larger ones. Its not a big deal really, you just have to "want" to do it.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:49 PM   #6
skiwi

a combination of clothing, carry system,where you are/going and what CCW guns you have.

If you only have one primary CCW gun, it determines what you will be wearing.

If you only carry OWB, it determines what you will be wearing.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Quadpod88

Another reason could be the change in barometric pressure, which has an impact on ballistics.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:03 AM   #8
Dragline45

In the winter I wear bigger, heaver, and more clothing allowing me to conceal a a bigger gun easier.

In the summer I wear less lighter clothes so I carry a smaller gun since it is tougher to conceal.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:25 AM   #9
BIG P

Not temp.But place for Me.I work in Atlanta at night thus G21 works.but I play in the country, SRH 454 just different critters in different places.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:26 AM   #10
billinmiss

Winter or summer, same gun(s), different positions and most of the time my primary changes from auto to revolver.
Old March 4, 2013, 02:23 AM   #11
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Another reason could be the change in barometric pressure, which has an impact on ballistics.
For concealed carry?

Now, go figure...
Old March 4, 2013, 02:49 AM   #12
allaroundhunter

Re: Why different concealed guns for different temperature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
For concealed carry?
I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.... But I could be wrong.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:39 AM   #13
baccusboy

I am from a state that can get very hot/humid, and at those times, a small 9mm Ruger LC9 is my choice. I am wearing docker shorts on those days, and the LC9 conceals well in a pocket holster or Remora holster. Easy on/off, too. The LC9 is a close-quarters weapon for 5 meters or less, IMHO.

My 1911 Bobtail SC is bulkier and less comfortable for carry (grips bite terribly) but also doable in my Milt Sparks VM2. I have an Axiom on order because I seek more cant.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Gaerek

It's because depending on what you wear, it can be difficult to carry certain guns, or so people say. It's the idea that you should carry the biggest gun you can comfortably carry. In some warmer places, where your attire is likely T-Shirt and Shorts, it's hard to conceal anything larger than an LCP or something similar. Likewise, in colder places, where a heavy jacket is normal wear (or at least is part of the year) it's easy to conceal a full sized service pistol.

I live in Southern Arizona, and I have no trouble concealing my Glock 19 in any weather. With the right holster, and as long as you're dressing around the gun (and not the other way around, which a lot of people who claim they can't carry a larger pistol in warm weather, do) most people should have no difficulty carrying larger guns. Even when it's 110 degrees outside, I have zero difficulty concealing a gun.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:00 AM   #15
TailGator

Floridians have a different definition of the word "cold." I live in Florida myself, and my brother-in-law, a resident of Illinois, visits ever November and frequently in February. He is fond of coming out to the back porch with a cup of coffee in the morning and loudly announcing, "Brudda, I just LOVE your cold fronts."

There are some legitimate concerns regarding penetration and expansion when a bullet has to penetrate several inches of clothing before impacting flesh. It is going to be going at least somewhat slower and a hollow point may well be plugged by the time it reaches the first layer of skin. This just isn't a Florida problem, though.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Cheapshooter

And now for the rest of the story! Or the other side of the coin, as it maybe be.

In cold weather when you are wearing heavier clothing allowing for easier concealment of a larger, more powerful weapon, an attacker likewise would be wearing heavy clothing. Thus making a larger, more powerful round from a bigger gun much more likely to stop an attack than a mouse gun in 32, or 380 that can dissapear in your pocket wearing lighter clothing. The less powerful rounds being more likely at least adequate when the attacker is also dressed in much lighted cloths in hot weather.
Not to say that bigger isn't better in any weather, but having something is always better than having nothing. As mentioned in other posts, sometimes concealment is the number one concern.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 4, 2013, 01:44 PM   #17
led0321

Re: Why different concealed guns for different temperature?

Buy a few 5.11 covert select shirts and pistol size becomes a non issue.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:30 PM   #18
kahrguy

I grew up down in south florida and live in NC mountains now. I don't change firearms with the weather. Don't change how I carry for the weather ether. Also no tacticool clothing. Only real people cloths.

If its cold and you wear a heavier coat what do you do when you go inside where its warm. Keep it on!! No , so why change anything.

Big guns don't work for all ether. Some of us like t-shirts and jeans or shorts.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:37 PM   #19
AK103K

Quote:
If its cold and you wear a heavier coat what do you do when you go inside where its warm. Keep it on!! No , so why change anything.
Its called "layering". Clothes and guns.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:45 PM   #20
zincwarrior

Each to his own.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:12 PM   #21
shootniron

Quote:
At 20 feet...????
Old March 4, 2013, 05:16 PM   #22
9mm

I wear the same shirts all year long, so a Glock 19/26/27 fits me.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:25 PM   #23
AK103K

Quote:
Each to his own.
Absolutely.

If youre comfortable your choice and your skills with it, will cover your butt in "most" situations, whos to tell you different. Use what works best for you.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:30 PM   #24
AK103K

Quote:
At 20 feet...????
distance or elevation? Makes a difference ya know!
Old March 4, 2013, 06:42 PM   #25
Webleymkv

If I could comfortably carry my S&W 629 in the summer without having to wear clothing three sizes too big, I would. Since I cannot, I switch to smaller guns in warmer weather.