The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
viper1216

.308 round powder measure upgrade

I am picking up a .308 next week and need to get my press equiped. I'm ordering the new dies and am curious what I should do about my powder measure. I have a Lee classic turret setup with a perfect powder measure by Lee. What I am debating is getting the double disk set-up for the dump or should I buy the adjustable charge bar for it instead.

Thanks
Viper
Old March 1, 2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Trapper L

Viper, I may be out of turn here as I don't own a Lee measure but I have read a lot of folks having issues getting accurate loads from it. I use the RCBS Powder Measure Combo. I use only the cylinder for pistols even for rifle loads and it drops ball powders perfectly. Flake powders acceptable and stick powders I usually set it light and throw it in the scale pan and top it off. I can't complain about the RCBS Combo. Maybe something to consider before putting more money into something that isn't going to work well anyway.
Old March 1, 2007, 11:06 PM   #3
rwilson452

Depending on how much powder you might not be able to drop enough powder even with a double disk setup. The Perfect powder measure tends not to like large extruded powders. It does ball really well. I'm having great sucess with H322 which is a short cut extruded powder. but I'm using that in a .223. I would suggest you put in a RCBS powder baffle in either case. You need to bend it out to get it to fit correctly but it does seem to help.
Old March 2, 2007, 06:24 AM   #4
cracked butt

Question about your setup?

Is your perfect powder measure mounted to your turret? If so, how is this done?

Sorry to not offer any advice, I'm just curious about getting a Lee turret press and wonder if its possible to use the Lee PPM with the press instead of buying an expensive adaptor to use my RCBS Uniflo.

Quote:
The Perfect powder measure tends not to like large extruded powders.
I've heard of people not having good luck with the PPM, but mine throws IMR powders accurately and consistantly. I bought mine to try something different that the Uniflo that I've been strugglingwith and have been perfectly happy with it. I still use the RCBS measure for ball and flake powder but the Lee is used for IMR powders.
Old March 2, 2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Zippy06

Trapper L
Sounds like your RCBS, has the same problems, as that of the Lee powder measure. Or is it the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure?
I'm sure they are all fine. Everything has issues.
viper1216
I think you are talking about 2 different devices. Lee has a "Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure" and the "Perfect Powder Measure".
I use the Pro disk on my turret. There are some issues with it. 3 different powders(Unique), that don't work well. And small quantities.
Both can be mounted on a "charging die". Go to www.leeprecision.com.
But, buy from Midway.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old March 2, 2007, 08:30 AM   #6
viper1216

Its the pro auto disk measure.

My appologize on that. I have been pretty happy with it so far as measurements on my powders. I reload for .45, 9mm and .223 so far and it works great. I'm just curious about reloading for a larger round such as the .308. I'm on the last diameter for the .223 and the charge for the .308 seems to be almost double. I would like to still use the charge as part of my turret set-up which is why I was considering the double disk set-up or the charging bar. And yes Midway all the way!!!
Old March 2, 2007, 08:56 AM   #7
rwilson452

If I'm not mistaken for .308. To use either the Autodisk or PPM you going to want a universal charging die and an extender to get it above your other dies.
Old March 2, 2007, 09:41 AM   #8
sanson

lee auto disc works fine with spherical powder or short extrusions. hates fine flakes
Old March 2, 2007, 04:35 PM   #9
jdmick

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken for .308. To use either the Autodisk or PPM you going to want a universal charging die and an extender to get it above your other dies.
I also think that's what he's looking for. Here's what the "universal charging die" looks like:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/powhan2.html

Apparently it hooks into the Perfect Powder Measure. I'm curious if this would also work with an RCBS Uniflow since that's what I have.
Old March 2, 2007, 06:11 PM   #10
viper1216

I've got the universal rifle die already. I bought it when I started loading the
.223. So should I just get the double disk upgrade?
Old March 2, 2007, 07:57 PM   #11
jdmick

Quote:
I've got the universal rifle die already. I bought it when I started loading the
.223. So should I just get the double disk upgrade?
I may be wrong but I think we're talking about two different things. I'm guessing you have a "rifle charging die", Lee part #90194. This ties into the auto disk type measure and is used to charge smaller rifle calibers such as your .223.
The part I'm referring to is the "universal charging die", Lee part #90273. It activates the Perfect Powder Measure so it can throw larger charges.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=652922
Judging by the reviews at Midway it may not work with a Classic Turret Press though. You may be stuck here. The "Adjustable Charge Bar" only goes to 1.6cc which is around half of what you need for most .308 loads. A double disk setup will reach 3.14cc which equates to around 42.2g of IMR 4064 or 43.2g of 4895 (according to Lee's chart) which are starting loads at best. I would call Lee to see what they say.
Old March 2, 2007, 10:17 PM   #12
viper1216

Thanks for the info JDMICK. I'll try and contact Lee for any suggestions but I think you're right. I think I'm stuck. Looks like I'll be weighing each charge and adding with a funnel. This the highest power rifle I have ever owned so I'll just have to play it by ear. I really want some good accuracy with it so if it takes a bit longer to load. No big deal.

Thanks again

Viper
Old August 31, 2008, 02:11 PM   #13
totalloser

I know this thread is ancient, but something anyone using a double disk setup must know is that most large rifles will need a charge larger than even the double disk can provide. On my setup loading .308, the max charge I could drop of win 748 with the two largest (1.57cc) was 45 grains. STARTING load is 46.2.

So here's the solution for cases that are borderline; Drill out a hole on the bottom disc to 9/16". It might be possible to do the top one, too, but it might cause problems with the wiper. With the 1.57 top and 9/16" bottom, I can drop an overcharge (can't remember what it was but think it may have been in the range of 49.2) but the next size down (1.46) drops a 47.5 grain charge. Works perfectly, and very consistent still.

Another thing to note is that using the smaller disk on top gives me more consistent charges as there is not a lip for powder to rest on in the double disk. And many folks have trouble with inconsistent charges when the universal rifle die is not properly adjusted, and the disks do not come completely over the drop hole in the powder measure.