The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2006, 06:11 AM   #1
Ammo Junky

case forming 30 to 25

I am converting some 3006 to 2506. Will I need to inside ream or neck turn to have concentric necks?
Thanks

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old July 10, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Scorch

Inside neck reaming will not necesarily ensure you have concentric necks. Neck turning will, because you use a mandrel to center the neck, and a cutter to remove excess brass.

But why bother with forming, resizing and doing all the work when you can buy new brass form Winchester?
Old July 10, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3
918v

Neither will make concentric necks, in the beginning anyway.

When you reduce the diameter of a neck by any more than .003", you create runout by stressing the brass.

Reducing a .30 to a .25 will stress the brass and create alot of runout. When you fireform the case, the runout will go away. The remaining case, however, will retain all the flaws of the original. It is therefore important to turn the .30 cal neck prior to forming. Turning the neck will uniform the neck wall thickness. You then squeeze the neck down to .25 in several steps and the neck gets thicker. It does not get thicker uniformly, and you will have to turn again, albeit with less material to remove. When you fireform, you'll have a nice, uniform neck.

But why?

25-06 brass is cheap.

Case forming with used brass is a pain in the arsch because the brass is hard. You need new, soft, preferably Remington ('cause it's the softest) brass to work with. Otherwise you will curse the day you decided to get into the project.
Old July 10, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4
zeisloft

I have not had any trouble out of mine. I just trim 30-o6 cases to a uniform length then run them through a FL die for .25-o6 and trim again. I get about 6-8 loadings out of them and toss. Not a benchrest recipe but still solid .5moa or better. Am I missing something?
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old July 10, 2006, 12:59 PM   #5
918v

I doubt yout .5 MOA claim. Is that an average, the smallest, or are the majority of your groups .5 MOA or less?

Or do you have an exceptional gun?

.5 MOA is hard to get without hard work.
Old July 10, 2006, 05:19 PM   #6
zeisloft

The .5 is about what I strive for in all my rifles, some will do better. Only rifle I have not been able to tame is a Ruger 77/22 chambered in Hornet. My .25-o6 is nothing special, just an old Savage 110, 26” heavy bbl, I bought it used. I agree .5 takes hard work to reach; I do a lot of range time/press time to make it. I also spend a lot of load development time. I was never much of a Savage fan, I run mainly 700s, but I have worked up loads for four Savage rifles now and dang can they shoot. Ugly as sin but the long throat and oversized magazine allow you to seat way long.
I’m not doing anything super fancy, just run a light trigger pull, use a steady rest, and don’t strive for super max velocities. About 85-95% case capacity in an applicable powder and SMKs. I do the work to earn .5s, I just have not had to neck turn. I do take great care in prepping my brass, just not that much.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old July 10, 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Ammo Junky

It is just a project. I am not gona do many.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.