The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2002, 10:31 AM   #26
Steve Smith

Stmcelroy, yes, you'll go nuts with a single stage and any pistol round, including your .480 A progressive makes is muuuuch nicer. Your time behind the press is worth more, too.

Lead isn't as bad as you think. Your perspective is .22RF. Centerfire lead bullets are only lubed in the lube groove(s) and it is a harder lube than that which is used on .22RF bullets. The lead is a little harder too, so its actually pretty clean to handle. As always, wash thoroughly after handling it, and don't eat or smoke during...of course.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 9, 2002, 11:32 AM   #27
stans

I reload for both 9mm and 45 ACP. I have not had great results with cast lead bullets in the 9, so I buy jacketed bullets in bulk. I can easily duplicate the accuracy and velocity of factory JHP loads and for a fraction of the cost. I save what little brass I buy and pick up any brass I find at the range. I think range pick ups, as long as they are carefully inspected, are fine for reloading as long as you are not trying to load to maximum pressures. Have I ever saved money by reloading? Absolutely not, I just get to shoot more!
Old October 9, 2002, 02:11 PM   #28
Mikul

I have had keyholing problems with lead and plated rounds in 9mm. I know that I'm not alone, but I recently found a lead bullet that works like a charm. They're VERY hard and resonably priced.

www.betterbullets.com

I fired a test batch of 50 125gr round nosed bullets (over 3.7gr of WSF) out of a CZ-75 with no problems. I ran 5 of them through a polygonal barrelled H&K and they worked well too.

I'll be ordering 1,000 of them.
Old October 9, 2002, 03:31 PM   #29
Poodleshooter

For your case, I would skip reloading. It really pays off for me, as I can make rifle hunting ammo for 1/5 the price of the the factory stuff that I see for $20+ a box. If you're not of the "do-it-yourself" mentality, I would forego reloading, even if it does become cost effective.