The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 9, 2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Brutus

Hollywood

Just flipped on Turner classic movies, they are showing Murder Inc.
In the opening scene Peter Falk and some other thug assassinate a guy with silenced revolvers.
And the guns go phweet phweet, I didn't count them but I'm pretty sure Peter shot the guy more than 6 times to.
Only in Hollywood!
Old September 9, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
g.willikers

One of the funniest ones was a revolver with what was clearly an oil filter for a suppressor.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Bwbraven

http://youtu.be/haiqFcIXTqs oil filter suppressor. Hollywood is bad about misrepresenting guns. My favorite Clint Eastwood in the good the bad and the ugly he had a cap and ball revolver but had cartridges on his belt.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Sierra280

My personal favorite is from "Army of Darkness" (given, it is supposed to be a cheesy 'b' movie). Bruce Campbell fires like 30 shots from a breech loading double barrel, then at then end of the shooting, brakes it open, pulls out 2 spent shells and loads 2 more.

I always chuckle when I see a revolver with a silencer though.
Old September 9, 2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Lark

Even the 1895 Nagants?
Old September 9, 2013, 07:43 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Lever action rifle sound....

A more common gun related gaff I "hear" more & more is every gun loading scene(pistol revolver shotgun rifle) seems to use the exact same lever action rifle sound effect.

It's minor but it grates on any real gun owner or gunner.
Old September 10, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
CowTowner

The ones I notice are the S/A revolver cocking sounds when the shooter is holding a 1911.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 10, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Another interesting one is the actor who works the action on a gun in scene one, scene two, scene three, etc. With my guns, it only takes one time to load and cock the gun, but then I am not going for artistic effect.

Jim
Old September 10, 2013, 09:22 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

"Technical foul!"....

Another common mistake/safety issue(in my humble opine, ),
is the action or cop show actor that draws a handgun, cocks or loads it, then, keeps it: single-action, with their trigger finger on the trigger the entire time!
That is not only a tactical mistake but highly unsafe on a film/TV set.
When Id see cops or spec ops listed as "consultants" or "trainers", I wonder what they really did(besides get a big check & a few free meals ).

CF
PS; "honorable" mention goes to the scenes where a pistol is "shot empty" but doesn't have the slide lock back, .
Old September 10, 2013, 09:24 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:
My favorite Clint Eastwood in the good the bad and the ugly he had a cap and ball revolver but had cartridges on his belt.
Hey, that's not a Hollywood flick. It's Italian!
Old September 10, 2013, 09:42 PM   #11
TXAZ

A couple here:
Didn't the Man with the Golden gun swap a same size and weight golden bullet for the lead bullet? Considering the difference in density, I don't think that's possible.

In North by Northwest at the Mt. Rushmore scene, don't they fire the gun JUST AFTER the kid is shown covering his ears from the shot?

Didn't they use 1892 Winchesters and Colt Single Action Army revolvers (post Civil war) in "Lone Star" with Clark Gable. The movie was pre-Civil war.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 11, 2013, 07:16 AM   #12
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The best one I've seen are the SA semi-auto pistols or machine guns that make a sound when they're out of rounds, and the trigger is pulled, "click-click-click", especially in well known guns that don't do that.

Another is those endless invisible magazines, where the actors get 40 shots off from a single reload, and a 10 round magazine, or a 5-6 round cylinder.

Last, watch the actor when shooting any pistol or revolver, as they seem to shove or poke the gun forward at what they're shooting at each shot. They must think the bullet will go faster over it, or they think it looks cool. Same with the goons who hold a pistol over their head, and on its side, where the hot brass will surely cover them, and they couldn't aim it if the tried.
Old September 11, 2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Tidewater_Kid

Just for fun...

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:Minc-cds1.jpg

It says they used Colt Detective Specials.

TK
Old September 11, 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Hawg

Most if not all of John Wayne's pre civil war movies have him carrying a 73 Colt and a 92 Winchester.
Old September 21, 2013, 03:02 PM   #15
Clark

A 5 part hour each night documentary "GUNS IN AMERICA" narrated by Bill Kurtis 1999....

The screen shows a Win 94 lever action rifle still pic, while the voice over says solemnly, "This is the shotgun that Randy Weaver sawed off."

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=269397
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 21, 2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Bart B.

While firearm goofs in the movies are often hilarious, they're not the most common ones.

Every movie I've seen showing the view someone sees using binoculars has two side-by-side image circles overlapping by about a third in the middle. Everyone who uses binoculars with both eyes sees only one, single round image. Oh; the movie images are typically still and don't wiggle like the ones we actually see with the binoc's not held perfectly still.
Old September 21, 2013, 07:16 PM   #17
iraiam

One of the Dirty Harry movies, Magnum Force, I believe. There was a scene where a rouge traffic cop executed someone with a silenced .357 magnum.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason