The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2010, 01:25 PM   #1
longnkrnch

Ithica model 37 choke

I have an ole Ithica Model 37 12 gauge pump with modified barrel.
Does anyone know if I can get the barrel modified to accept standard screw in chokes?
Old August 28, 2010, 03:48 PM   #2
vwfool

You should be able to do that. In fact, as soon as my gunsmith gets back from his hunting trip I am dropping off the barrel off my model 37 to have screw in chokes installed. I had him do that to my Remington SBS about 6 months ago.
Old August 28, 2010, 04:06 PM   #3
zippy13

Local gunsmiths vary in qualifications. I've had poor results with a locally done choke installation. You may better off if you send your I-37 to Briley for screw-ins.
Old August 28, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Go over to www.shotgunworld.com and look for Mik Orlin he's the gunsmaithing moderator. Also a smith, he can install chokes in your barrel as long as there is enough thickness at the muzzle. His web site/price list list's the minium thickneses where the barrel can be threaded and chokes installed.
Old August 28, 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Chuck Dye

Yes you can.

When I researched the question for mine, I found I could accomplish what I wanted in the used barrel market for about the same price and have the advantage of different barrel lengths. A plus is not needing a tool to change the Model 37 barrel.
Old August 28, 2010, 06:18 PM   #6
longnkrnch

What kind of cost are we looking at to do this? The gun is not worth a lot of money, but $100 bucks or so wouldn't be bad.
Old August 28, 2010, 07:04 PM   #7
oneounceload

Mike Orlen comes highly recommended by many folks for basic barrel smithing, including choke tube installation

Quote:
When I researched the question for mine, I found I could accomplish what I wanted in the used barrel market for about the same price and have the advantage of different barrel lengths. A plus is not needing a tool to change the Model 37 barrel.
Interesting, because when I had a 37 back about 30 years ago or so, the barrels were not interchangeable, they required fitting. What year is yours?
Old August 28, 2010, 09:06 PM   #8
jrothWA

Check with....

www.diamondgunsmithing.com

The owner is a forced retired Ithaca engineer, he can give better info.

The SN that have interchangeable barrels is a SN greater than 855,000. This will be on the right flat receiver face above the trigger. May have a prefix of 37XXXXXXx.
Bearlier SN's are found on the narrow front face edge (right side), and the barrel will have the same SN as receiver, abaout the 5 o'clock position.
Current made barrel can be fitted to earlier SN by a competeent smith.

The new Ithaca Co., has a new sysstem that replace both to use their new barrels. Check their website.

IF the SN of earlier shotgun, DO NOT MATCH, Have the headspace checked prior to use and correct if needed.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:56 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Don't discout a older Model 37, they have all machined parts not unlike todays stamped and injection molded guns. I have a lighter 37 that is a joy to shoot as it functions flawlessly and if you compare it to todays junk it's a great shotgun.

If the bluing and stock finish are worn you may want to look into refinishing before interchangeable choke systems.

Here's where I get flamed, compare the 37 to a Winchester model 12, the 12 is a club:barf:, a big club, the Ithaca 37 is light fast handling shotgun.

Much better engineered then the model 12. The 12 filled a nich for the duck hunters as it was big and heavy taking up the heavy recoil of the express loads.

The Ithaca 37 is a upland game gun lighter, easyer to carry, and faster when comming up to the shoulder.
Do Ilike 37's, hell yes, my 16 gauge is one of the best pump's ever made!!
Old August 29, 2010, 06:54 PM   #10
autodave

I have an old 37 that my dad bought in 1943. A few years back I wanted the choke tubes too, it came with a 30" full choke barrel and limited me in what I could hunt with it. I had the barrel cut down to 28" and had a winchoke installed by a local gunsmith, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it!
I ended up sending the gun to the factory, and had a new 28" vent rib, choked barrel mated to my reciever for about $200. It was like a brand new gun, very satisfied with it now.

Last edited by autodave; August 29, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:54 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

The modified choke is the most usefull in term of hunting, unless your a duck hunter. Anyway I think any dollars spent on stocks and metal work would be a good way to go.