The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2014, 01:21 PM   #1
the conscript

mauser double set trigger problem (mystery piece)

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Mauser 98 (no military markings) that I want to put in a better stock. I'm using a Turkish military stock and plan on the minimum amount of modification for it to fit and function.

Everything is going well except that when I was cleaning some gunk out of the double set trigger mechanism, I discovered that upon reassembly I had missed a piece. I don't know where it goes or how it functions.

It is the piece on the bottom,
http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/jo...tml?sort=3&o=0

It is flat, just under 13mm long with one side slightly thicker.

My problems:

1. Without this piece, when the gun is reassembled into either of its stocks, the rear trigger guard screw will bump into the sear preventing the bolt from moving any farther.

2. In the old stock, the trigger will still function without it both set and unset. In the new stock, the trigger will only work when set.
Old May 22, 2014, 09:11 PM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL !

I could be in error (It's been over 40 years since I took a Mauser DST apart), but IMO the part is a flat spring that's secured via the rear screw inside the top of the triggerguard, that holds the DST mechanism to the TG.

It's just visible in the below pic, atop the lower tang of the bottom Mauser action's TG plate (The TG loop's been removed), just ahead of the rear guard screw.

Old May 23, 2014, 01:29 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That looks like the thick spring that powers the rear trigger, causing it to snap up and disengage the sear. But shouldn't it have a hole for a screw or is one end broken off?

Jim
Old May 23, 2014, 04:50 PM   #4
the conscript

Yes, the flat spring with the hole interacts with the front trigger. My trigger is different, maybe older than the one you posted.

2 different views of trigger

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/jo...=recent&page=1

Last edited by the conscript; May 23, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old May 23, 2014, 05:02 PM   #5
the conscript

btw - The red stuff is just crayola marker used to see where I needed to inlet the stock.

Last edited by the conscript; May 23, 2014 at 05:07 PM.