The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2015, 07:26 PM   #51
natman

I enjoyed gun buying as a hobby for many years. Then I got transferred to England and had to inventory, clean, oil, prepare for storage, pack and move every last one of the damn things.

That drove home the lesson that I had too many. I'm now culling the herd and selling off the "good deal" guns, duplicates and projects I'll never get around to. I still buy one or two a year now, but it has to be something truly special, not just another passing fancy like in the old days.

Last edited by natman; March 14, 2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old March 14, 2015, 07:34 PM   #52
Nathan

Dude...your wife hacked your account!
Old March 14, 2015, 08:04 PM   #53
4V50 Gary
Staff

Easy to stop. Just be broke.
Old March 14, 2015, 08:29 PM   #54
Bucksnort1

Sawdust,

Or, what? This old gun. Why, I've had this for along time.
Old March 14, 2015, 08:47 PM   #55
C7AR15

Figure out the ones you have.

"Beware the man who owns 1 gun, he probably shoots it well"

When I get the urge to buy a new gun, I just review the guns I currently own and then make a list of which ones are due for load development and sighting in at 100,200,300 yards.
I have several guns that I have never really figured out.

So when I start thinking about the things I have to do with the stuff I own - it kind of cools my jets on getting another gun.
Old March 14, 2015, 09:33 PM   #56
GEARHEAD_ENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Find a different hobby. I haven't purchased a gun in about 3 months, which is a record for me. I started buying mechanical watches to work on. It doesn't save a dime. In fact, I think it may be an even more expensive hobby. Crap!
Yep, I'm about -700 for the month on mechanical/auto watches. Shoot, that would be a nice H&K
Old March 14, 2015, 10:15 PM   #57
huntinaz

I got into whisky and cigars, that curbed gun buying for about a year. Looks like I'm back at it now though.
Old March 14, 2015, 10:37 PM   #58
DennisCA

Stop? That's a four-letter word!
Old March 15, 2015, 12:05 AM   #59
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Always shopped and bought (Top Shelf) weaponry going thru life. Nearing my end. I have no interest in owning CNC or plastic & graphite clone injected what ever's.
Old March 15, 2015, 01:40 AM   #60
johnwilliamson062

outside of 22s I have cut WAY back and I don't have much desire to increase my centerfires. It was just foolish to have guns I didn't shoot, didn't have ammo for, planned on modifying when I knew I wouldn't have tools/resources for years.

Move a lot. You start to think about all the "stuff" you acquire. Unless .gov is footing the bill for your move.
Old March 15, 2015, 09:47 AM   #61
bigelowe

I will stop buying guns when my wife stops buying shoes and purses. Her closet is a whole lot bigger than my gun safe.
Old March 16, 2015, 02:13 AM   #62
Brotherbadger

I never stop, just sometimes you have to prioritize other stuff, like a car, college payments, rent ect.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 16, 2015, 06:26 AM   #63
Nlight1

I'll stop when I'm dead
Old March 16, 2015, 06:53 AM   #64
baddarryl

Quote:
I will stop buying guns when my wife stops buying shoes and purses. Her closet is a whole lot bigger than my gun safe

That won't work for me as my lady is one of the thriftiest around!
Old March 17, 2015, 05:43 PM   #65
Live Free

As others have said, stopping is easy for me, I do it every couple of years. I get bored with what I have been shooting and decide to sell it, Then I have new found cash to buy again...

Recently I sold all my ARs, and my polymer guns and reinvested the proceeds into vintage S&W revolvers and high end .45 Autos. I have new energy at the gun range again. Been going a couple of times a week. Prior to this change over I was only going once a quarter.

History shows my enthusiasm will wain in 2-3 years and I may switch it up again.
Old March 19, 2015, 09:24 AM   #66
gw44

Maybe when I die, maybe or maybe not !!
Old March 19, 2015, 09:33 AM   #67
NavyVet1959

Quote:
As others have said, stopping is easy for me, I do it every couple of years. I get bored with what I have been shooting and decide to sell it, Then I have new found cash to buy again...
I don't tend to ever sell any of my firearms. Most remind me of some point in my life and as such, I don't sell them, even if I haven't shot them in 30 years or more. They might not be high end collectable pieces, but they bring back memories and as we get older, anything that helps with the memory is a *good* thing.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old March 19, 2015, 09:35 AM   #68
Son of Liberty

I always found the best way to limit my purchases of new firearms is to do a lot of shooting with the ones that I already have...leaving me less money for buying new stuff.
Old March 22, 2015, 08:10 AM   #69
22-rimfire

When I got married, I had the belief at that time that everything should be equal between us. I discovered that equal made it nearly impossible to buy a new gun because if I spent $500, she spent $500 on something she wanted. That killed most of the gun buying until things reached a new equilibrium and by that point, things were more rational beyond just wanting something because it was new or interesting.
Old March 22, 2015, 09:00 AM   #70
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Always shopped and bought (Top Shelf) weaponry going thru life. Nearing my end. I have no interest in owning CNC or plastic & graphite clone injected what ever's.
Sure-Shot; Are you lacking an heir? Interested in adoption of a polite and respectful son?
Old March 22, 2015, 09:54 AM   #71
vito

I guess I am really in a minority here. I don't hunt and have nowhere locally to fire any sort of long guns, so right now I only own handguns. But in truth, although I do like guns for themselves I see them primarily as a tool for a purpose. When I think about it, I have two guns for home defense, three primary carry guns that I vary based on how I am dressed, two nice 22LR target guns, and that about is it for what I think I NEED. But I do own more than the seven mentioned above, so rather than buying anymore I might start selling some (especially whose in 40S&W caliber, a caliber I just don't like shooting or see a need for). I could probably be happy with one home defense gun, two carry guns, and one target 22, and might someday reduce to just those four. That would also get me down to only three calibers instead of the seven I now buy ammo for. If I had children or grandchildren that shared my interest in guns and shooting I might keep buying, but I think what will happen when I die is that my family will sell every one of them for pennies on the dollar just to get rid of them, so why keep investing money in more guns?
Old March 22, 2015, 11:02 AM   #72
gw44

baddarry any thing said here help or did it make it worse ?
Old March 22, 2015, 11:18 AM   #73
aarondhgraham

For me it's simple,,,

For me it's simple,,,
It's when my "new gun fund" is tapped out.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 22, 2015, 12:00 PM   #74
skizzums

I feel ya, this morning I was in the checkout part of getting the 5" 9mm barrel from masdefense.com, I almost clicked it and.......pooned out. just had to buy my mother-in-law a dog yesterday because she let her last one get run over a couple weeks ago, I have a family vacy on the 3rd, my sons bday is april fools, then wife on the 9th and then mine 9 days later. I have plenty of money, but family comes first man. its only 120$ and I probably wouldn't notice it, but I know once I buy it, then I am not going to be able to withhold from buying all the other little parts I need to complete the build. then when the build is done comes optics, then mags, then ammo and the list goes on. that 100$ click probably would have cost me 500$ over the next few weeks.

the barrel, which I have been waiting 3 months to come back in stock, will have to wait til may, hopefully it's still there.
Old March 24, 2015, 11:02 AM   #75
Kframe

How to stop buying guns, guitars, gadgets, motorcycles, etc?

Hmmm, I'll have to let you know once I figure it out myself.
Don't hold your breath....