The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 01:31 AM   #1
ZVP

Gun Show this weekend!

I hope they have some ammo available! I need some CAS L/V .38's for my Derringer and some sort of shotgun shells with larger than 20 ga #4 shot!
My SXS is the basic H/D gun and I need more power than a plain 20ga Phesant load will give.
I mean @ 15 ft a 20ga Pheasant load will do some damage but I want a real fight stopper! Just to be sure I keep my sweet little Chief's Special stoked with Horniday H/P's It'll do the job.
I don't know how many more or how modified gun shows from this one forward will be? I have a feeling laws will change them quite a bit.
I'm planning on staying all day and remembering how "it used to be"...
BPDave
Old February 22, 2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Gdawgs

I suspect there will be no good deals on anything. Good luck and have fun.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Smit

I would also predict that. Anyone I talk to about visiting gun shows as of late always come back with a disgusted look on their faces in regards to prices. An Andrew Jackson gets you 1 AR mag? $1.50 a bullet for reloaded .223? Yikes
Old February 22, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Mr_Jumper

Agreed with above. You'll find ammo, but prices they are asking for will give you pause.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

I predict what everyone else has said.

The one down here was catastrophic.

$130-$160 for a 33rd Glock magazine.

$80-$100 not a standard magazine.

I saw a Sigma going for close to $700. Insane. Insane. Insane.

Thanks new gun owners, thanks.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:34 PM   #6
BigJimP

I'm going this weekend too..../ but with no pre-determined expectations...( I don't need anything - don't really want anything )....but I go most every month to one or two of the bigger shows in my area - because I enjoy it !

I think you'll find shotshells ../ and a lot of Defensive ammo .....most any variety that you want .../ # 4's in a 20ga should be easy to find ( I'm assuming you are not going to be shooting 10 boxes of them a week ..)....so you don't need cases of this stuff....so you should have a lot of choices / or at least we will in my area probably...

Range ammo .....expect to pay more - at least temporarily.....
Old February 22, 2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Live45

Went to small local show here (Central Florida) about 3 weeks ago looking for reloading supplies. Absolutely NO bullets, No primers, No Brass. One table had a total of about 8 1lb bottles of powder. Very very little .45ACP ammo and what there was was outrageously priced.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

At times like this I avoid gun shows. Prices are usualy beyond rediculous, vendors tend to feed the panic to spur people to spend more money to "buy it now before it is banned." I wish someone would barf on the guys that say that crap. Not to mention a friend of mine actualy took a pic of some of the price tags on the ammo vendor's table . A 550 round brick of Federal in the red Walmart packing $100. Worse yet somone actualy bought it.

Oh well I am going to a classic car show tomorrow anyway.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:36 PM   #9
elDiabloLoco

I would be interested to hear what, if anything, is actually on sale for a decent price. Maybe a nice set of cotton bedsheets.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:52 PM   #10
Cowboy_mo

I went to one last weekend. The most ridiculous ammo I saw was a bulk pack (525 rounds) of Federal 22 lr for the absurb price of $50!!!!!

Now I was able to pick up some .38 spl reloads for $13 for 50 which I thought was a pretty good price. Prices on all the guns were ridiculous. OTH I sold my Sig Mosquito (desert camo and and extra magazine) for $300. I have been asking $325 but several dealers told me $280 would be about max.

On the bright side this show was 2x as big as it has been the last several years.

Have a good time and just laugh at the 'scalper' prices
Old February 22, 2013, 10:00 PM   #11
TxFlyFish

Should have drinking game

Every time you see federal bulk pack over $100 ....1 shot
Every time you see pmags over $50 ....1 shot
Every time you see someone wear multicam ....drink freely
Old February 23, 2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Mastery

Went to one last weekend. Lots of $85 value packs of .22LR, used Glocks for over $550, and black rifles starting at $1200. No thanks. It was almost just as fun walking around and watching everybody not buying too much, and listening to the dealers talking about all the high prices around them, forcing them to raise their prices against their will
Old February 23, 2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Bellasogno

Expect a zoo. Our last one was just that.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:56 AM   #14
Buzzard

I went to a gun show in Laughlin NV and I think it wa the worst I have seen
.22lr for 70 for a 555 box, phoenix arms .22 for 225.00 (the same gun is 149 in LG) and more knives than any thing else. Even saw .223 ammo for 25.00 for 20 rnds.
I went home.....
Old February 24, 2013, 08:11 AM   #15
h2otoo

"#11
TxFlyFish

Should have drinking game

Every time you see federal bulk pack over $100 ....1 shot
Every time you see pmags over $50 ....1 shot
Every time you see someone wear multicam ....drink freely"

YES! I'm in
Old February 24, 2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Scarletma

Gun show pricing Ft Lauderdale Fl this weekend

Last month was insane, waits and pricing. 2/24 pricing on hand guns (regular pricing no shortages) All long guns available maybe a bit higher (due to less haggling)
No shortages on reload supplies or reloaded ammunition at ok pricing
Primers casings lots. (North GA reloading) had a huge display and tons of product ok pricing
The regular big ammo seller had at least a million rounds of popular stuff but at high pricing (av 40 cents on 9mm) tins and cases of anything and everything.
Fast forward to this morning I go to Walmart to try again just for cci mini mags and 9mm bulk packs to resupply what I am going to shoot today and no luck so I am going to quit trying Walmart for 6 months and just pay the new price levels-9mm before Walmart wwb 21 cents a round now gun show 34-38 cents reload and new
Wish I knew how to reload since there are tons of stuff available. In Alaska a friend of mine owns a huge hunting and fishing camp and buys his ammunition and reloading supplies by the pallet and said this week he has a very hard time finding primers now. In GA. friends how are hard core survivalists and have large stock piles state they cannot find in any quantities primers or reloaded or new ammunition. Friend in Atlanta went to Ga arms factory and were told sorry boys not this week or month simply because of filling back orders.
I purchased another 22 hand gun now just to cut down on the 9mm I am using from my own stocks for shooting weekly to bi weekly.
North Florida in the deep woods I have a relative that shoots 500 to 1000 rounds a week on his farm between family members and has not put a dent in his 556 supply. I simply quit shooting 556 and 223 and will not shoot those again until I can replenish below 50 cent a round
Friday Bass Pro had enormous stock piles of any shot gun round they carry and 380 but no 22 and no 9mm
Old February 24, 2013, 04:01 PM   #17
745SW

Here in southern Calif. gun shows pricing of some guns and ammo appear to be approaching more of the norm. Some recent shows I’ve been to like the Costa Mesa a patron spent about $212 (before tax) for a 500 round case of 45ACP WWB, that comes out to be about $21.2 a box of 50 from Miwall. My guess is each box in the case is a loose pack, 3rd tier ammo, not the version that comes mounted on a tray or similar holder. Miwall appears to have rented/leased an additional semi for the show.

AR magazines in the form of rebuilding kits (a California thing) were ProMag 30 round $40 and Magpul 30 round $60.

At the Ventura show a patron bought/received his Windham AR (original Bushmaster company), cost about $1100, I believe that’s full list price. It took a while for me to get accustomed to the norm today. When people refer to the AR they mean the 16” barrel version, M4 type, not the original 20” barrel length. The AR’s start at $1500 instead of the previous $700. Speaking with some familiar sellers the AR stuff is jacked up in price because they haven’t been able to get any shipments/inventory for months.

Two sellers at the Ventura show wanted about $2800 for their Colt stainless Pythons, neither sold I believe. A stainless 4” Python in excellent condition w/o box sold late last year for about $1000. A patron walking the show with his Ruger SR 22 wanted $400. This version of Ruger is the one having the form factor similar to the AR using the mags of the 10/22. It felt as heavy as the M4 in 5.56. Browning Hi-Power made in the seventies, I think, my first feel, excellent condition priced at $1000.

My local Big5 has Fiocchi 9mm FMJ 115gr for $29, box of 50. More overpriced than the norm for Big5, the Fiocchi 9mm was about $16. I paid $16 a box for RWS a while back but they no longer carry RWS. 40S&W and shot shells were also available but didn’t note pricing.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:02 PM   #18
elDiabloLoco

Curiosity got the best of me....Local show report.

I was gonna skip, but got sucked in.....

One dealer had cases of 115gr 9mm fmj, $405 a case of 1000
he also had half cases of 124gr 9mm fmj for $200/500
....................... Cases of 223 for $1050/1000

No one else had any 9mm fmj that I saw, a few had jhp for what was probably the approximately pre FireArmageddon prices.

7.62x39 was sprinkled though the hall, Wolf or Br Bear.

Looking specifically for 22LR to find that golden $100 brick was a disappointment. Saw not one single box of 22LR.

AK's on one table for $999, $1050, and $1200.

I did spot one "bargain", where a dealer had a single Ruger SR556E which he sold right before my eyes for the marked price, at/near Ruger's website MSRP. That one had managed to make it through almost four hours of the show before being sold.

Saw one enterprising sort trying to sell an old and poorly maintained Marlin Papoose for $260. Good luck with that.......

A cosmetically nice Norinco SKS was available for $599. Clean wood stock, good bluing. Did not peek into the bore because I was afraid it may have been bright and shiny with good rifling. That would have left only the doubts about the firing pin. [keep walking!]

Semi-autos that normally sold in the $800 and up range were in good supply.

Ruger Americans available for $325. Came real close when I found the model I expect to buy at some point.

Very few Mossberg 500's. The show in December had oodles. ??huh???

Also no crates of Nagant's.

The very best bargain I found was on a nice range bag, but left it.

Fondled the new Walther PPX, and decided that its grip was no good for my teeny little hand and stubby fingers. It seemed much larger than the grip on the PPQ. Had it been the same.....but it was not. Booo.

One fellow had a really nice collection of vintage lever guns. Sweet.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:44 PM   #19
ZVP

The sho was bad

I stood inthe ammo line for an honest hour and 55 minutrs just to buy 2 5 round boxes of 20ga slugs and 5 boxes of PMC Bronze .38 Specisl ( crap bullets but I was running low...)
All gun prices were high, and not too much haggling goin on.
ZVP
Old February 26, 2013, 06:05 PM   #20
elDiabloLoco

someone sent me the link to the golden brick.......

http://www.surplusammo.com/22-lr-fed...nd-value-pack/

Old February 26, 2013, 06:44 PM   #21
UtahHunting

eldiablo....that is just crazy. I hope nobody is actually paying $99 for a brick of 22 in these times.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:01 PM   #22
MercyfulFate

I went to a gun show post election and it was bad enough, but post Newtown? You couldn't pay me to go. Prices were high as they were back then, now they'll be sky high!

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 28, 2013, 10:06 AM   #23
Gaerek

There's a gun show near me this weekend also. I'm not even sure I want to go. Last one we had, there was an hour long line to get in, and cars were stacked up outside the parking lot waiting to get in for half a mile. I'm thinking this one won't be any better. Also, my usual supplier of ammo used to have good prices, but I imagine they'll be comparable to what I get at the LGS now...so not sure it's even worth it.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:13 PM   #24
elDiabloLoco

Quote:
eldiablo....that is just crazy. I hope nobody is actually paying $99 for a brick of 22 in these times.
Well, it won't be ME. Hopefully I have enough on hand to get to the end of the feeding frenzy. I'd like to have some of better quality than the bottom shelf of the cabinet, but not in any hurry to have it.

I noticed this past week a lot of the gunbroker auctions have been ending without bids, so perhaps panic has begun to dissipate. or maybe not....
Old February 28, 2013, 07:37 PM   #25
UtahHunting

Quote:
I noticed this past week a lot of the gunbroker auctions have been ending without bids, so perhaps panic has begun to dissipate. or maybe not....
Here locally in the classified ads I am seeing several AR's on a daily basis for $1000 or less. So the price is coming down, at least on the AR's here in Utah. However, there is no .22 ammo to be found anywhere. I am hoping you are correct and it is dissipating, we shall see in the next few months.