The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 15, 2013, 07:25 AM   #26
cecILL

Hey Clark, what loads are you using and what are you firing them out of?
Old March 15, 2013, 07:49 AM   #27
Winchester_73

It would be great if someone had enough insight to consider the intent of the 25 auto ctg, rather than how it stacks up against say a 9mm. Is it really that hard to understand?
Old March 15, 2013, 08:39 AM   #28
PSP

Sometimes people may find themselves in need of really tiny, ultra concealable guns. Until very recently, this meant using the minor calibers. The development of some very small guns, the .380 Seecamp and .380 Kahr for example, means folks may not have to resort to .22, .25 or .32 calibers.

There are people that may not be able to handle larger calibers, for what ever reason, and the minor calibers may be the only options

I carry a .32 often and have on occasion resorted to a .25 when the other was out of action. I'd never characterize the ability to lessen a threat worthless, whether using a .25 or larger.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:04 AM   #29
Winchester_73

Thank you PSP, someone is getting 02 to their head here, great.

For anyone else: remember in the 25 auto hey day (before WWII) you could have carried instead a 32 auto (generally much bigger), a 32 S&W revolver (less rounds, slower reload time), a 22 revolver (often the cal was 22 long or 22 short, which the 25 auto has a definite ballistic superiority), or perhaps a large knife (sticking to weapons which were very small, I know there were DA 38s and 1911s at the time). If those choices were what we still had, none of you would have anything to say. Its because of our advancements in firearms technology over the last 100 or so years that the 25 acp has been around that anyone can even criticize the cartridge. Did you ever look at anything else thats been around over 100 yrs and try to determine its present day usefulness?

If your point is "hey man, a 9mm (or anything else) is better" well thank you Columbo, for solving that one for us.

Am I a 25 auto fan? No, not really. I have many, but they are collector firearms. What do I carry? Usually a Colt Mustang 380, but sometimes a 9mm. My posts are intended to remind everyone of the facts and history. Today there are better options, but at its inception, the 25 auto was a great option. It is still useful today IMO. Ever see how small a Walther model 9 is?

If you want something that small, the 25 acp comes in a very small package, which was the goal all along; a small, ultra-compact semi auto pistol. The 25 acp and many of the pistols designed around it were very successful, because they achieved their intended goal.

I mean come on, it was good enough for 007 himself before he got the PPK. If its good enough for James Bond, its good enough for us
Old March 15, 2013, 10:25 AM   #30
chewie146

It's overpriced, wimpy, and handloading it must be an exercise in patience and frustration. Those little pills are probably better handled with tweezers than with fingers. However, it's a little bullet for little guns. It would be worthless only if it was often chambered in guns the size of a 92 or 1911. Today, I'll take the .22 over the .25. Many feel my .38 standard pressure hard cast wadcutters are undergunning it. It depends on your situation. I carried an NAA for years when I ran. It was light enough for my gym/running shorts. Now I hike instead of run, so a bigger gun doesn't run the risk of hitting me in the junk or exposing my whitey tighties.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:29 AM   #31
aarondhgraham

The real question is why is .25 auto still around,,,

Quote:
The real question is why is .25 auto still around,,,
The James Bond mythos with the Beretta .25 he preferred to carry.

Aarond

P.S. My Taurus 25-PLY is a rocking little pistol.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #32
Bill DeShivs

How about "Most useless thread???"
Old March 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #33
Spats McGee
Staff

How about "time to close it?"