The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 1999, 05:47 PM   #1
STEVE M

Does anyone have a favorite load with 150GR bullets? I've been working with Sierra 150 and Hogdon 380 but haven't found a good load yet. Any help would be welcome.
Old March 16, 1999, 08:10 PM   #2
HESENWINE

Try H-414. I just got a new Savage Scout Rifle in 7mm-08 & I'm having good luck w/ the 414. It's a ball powder so it measures well in my RCBS measure. Haven't used the chrono yet but intend to do so this weekend.

------------------
Harry
Old March 20, 1999, 10:35 AM   #3
RJ in Rome NY

I may get flamed for this... but..
Try finding a powder that when the case is charged with a "reasonable" load , the powder comes up to bottom edge of the shoulder.. There is something to be said
for uneven , inconsistant , pressure curves
resulting from uneven ignition of the powder
due to the primer flash going across the top of the powder in the case.. which.. depending which way you held your gun upon loading the cartridge would determine how the powder lays in the case which affects the primer flash /
pressure curve which can affect velocities which in turn can affect your accuracy.. PHEW ! Lastly.. the highest velocity isn't always the most accurate.. cheers
Old March 20, 1999, 10:39 AM   #4
RJ in Rome NY

oh BTW.. I almost forgot..
I use H-322 in my 7MM BR which is a
shortened .308 case.. and I also use
it in my 7 mm TCU and find it very accurate
in both.. in that cartridge tho.. probably
a little bit slower powder like H -335 or BL-C(2) ... Now that I think about this.. it does seem that the ball powders are more accurate for me... anyone want to comment on that thought .. I'm curious now...
Old March 20, 1999, 03:56 PM   #5
HankL

Steve, If you have any IMR 4350 around you should give it a try. Using Remington brass I have been loading 140 gr. Ballistic Tips using 46 gr. of IMR 4350 and Federal 210 primers. My little model 7 loves this. Good luck with the 150's. Hank
Old March 22, 1999, 02:10 AM   #6
Menos

Take a look at AA2031br powder , designed for small cases, but works very well in small bores , its a smaller rod type powder , but burns very evenly and you can fill up the case even with lighter bullets .