The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 28, 2024, 05:43 PM   #1
DaleA

Minnesota Mall gets gun sniffing dog

Yep. Minnesota in the fore front of technology again. Our Mall of America now has gun sniffing dogs. You have been warned. You can read about it here:

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/...ll-of-america/

From what I've heard it not only alerts to firearms but if it detects a Taurus or High Point it curls it's lips and looks away in embarrassment.
Old March 28, 2024, 06:01 PM   #2
Kestrel4k

Kudos for them for catching all those dangerous concealed-carry citizens.
Old March 31, 2024, 02:32 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

None of the "sniffing" systems is infallible, not even dogs.

Trained dogs alert on what they are trained to alert on, and anything else that, to the dog, smells enough like what they are trained to alert on.

I wonder what kind of civil case a lawyer might come up with if you are denied access (or worse searched) to a public place because a dog thought you had a gun, when you didn't....
Old April 1, 2024, 01:07 AM   #4
DaleA

There's been a bit of speculation (without an answer) about what the dogs are actually alerting on...gun oil, gun solvent, burnt powder etc.

The question has also come up as to whether or not the Mall of America is a public place or not. There's the owners of the Mall and then the owners of the stores within the Mall and I'm just not astute enough to given any opinion with any weight behind it.

It will be interesting to see what the results of this are (if they even get reported).
Old April 1, 2024, 11:38 AM   #5
Sharkbite

I guess the question behind my thought process is…
Does a “No weapons allowed” sign carry the force of law there, or is just a statement of the property owners wishes?

In some states carrying despite the signage is a violation of a specific law and a crime in and of itself. In other states you can be asked to leave the property if armed, but its not a crime.
Old April 1, 2024, 12:46 PM   #6
zukiphile

If I visit, I shouldn't use Hoppes No.9 as cologne?
Old April 1, 2024, 02:44 PM   #7
Paul B.

I think they've been a "No guns allowed!" location for a very long time. Probably more than ten years now.
Paul B.
Old April 1, 2024, 03:47 PM   #8
Jim Watson

What are they going to do if the dog alerts and I don't have a gun?
And I say so.
An idle day, some Hoppes No 9, a dusting of powder off a reloader spill, some powder residue from a trip to the range in those clothes, etc. could lead to interesting interactions.
So do they have a rule against smelling like a gun?
Old April 1, 2024, 09:00 PM   #9
1972RedNeck

Quote:
What are they going to do if the dog alerts and I don't have a gun?
And I say so.
An idle day, some Hoppes No 9, a dusting of powder off a reloader spill, some powder residue from a trip to the range in those clothes, etc. could lead to interesting interactions.
So do they have a rule against smelling like a gun?
I hope there are a lot of gun owners that show up smelling like gun...
Old April 2, 2024, 07:12 PM   #10
5whiskey

Oh gosh if I lived in Minneapolis/St Paul I would literally plan it out to roll around in spent cases, reload 100 rounds, and clean several firearms prior to every MOA trip just for grins. In fact, it's probably about the only way MOA would ever convince me to darken its doors. I'm not a mall guy. But I would now... at least a couple times a year.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 4, 2024, 03:19 PM   #11
snoeproe

My teenaged nephew was working there around Xmas time a year or two ago, the day after he was at work, 2 people were shot in the mall. They were young people not much older than him.
Old April 4, 2024, 03:26 PM   #12
georgehwbush

ya know, 5whiskey; it must be the rebel in us. but i'm totally with you on that. for a long time i carried one of those anti-theft strips in my hat and alarms would go off and i would ignore them... ;/
Old April 4, 2024, 05:12 PM   #13
DaleA

Quote:
alarms would go off and i would ignore them.
One time I saw a guy who set off the alarm stop dead and in a loud commanding voice announce to everyone in the vicinity;

"RED ALERT! RED ALERT! PILOTS, MAN YOUR PLANES!"

Real life story, years and years ago I was at a Best Buy with my 8 year old daughter and we set off the alarm leaving the store. Security checked us out and we were fine but it was only later I realized there had been a person loitering at the exit that left at the same time we did. She didn't hesitate or stop. We did. We were the ones security checked.
Old April 4, 2024, 06:33 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Years ago, my late wife and I were visiting her family in her native country. One day we went to a mall and hit one of their versions of an anchor store. Wife bought (and paid for) a couple of things, we headed for the exit, and set off an alarm. The big stores in that country have (or had, back then) armed security, so we were stopped. We showed them what we had bought, showed them the receipt, they wanted each item and nothing was amiss. But we still set off an alarm.

We finally figured out that her ten-year old purse, from a store in the United States, still had a security tag buried all the way at the bottom of an interior pocket -- and that's what set off the alarm. It had never set off any alarms in any other stores, ever.
Jeepaholic