The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1
dewcrew8

lee auto prime ?

Can any tell me if the shell holders for the hand primer work on the new xr model. I broke my handle on the round top one. Lee doesn't have replacement ones on the web page . So I may need to buy a new one.
Old July 20, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Romeo 33 Delta

YES! 100% without modification!

There is a little learning curve:

1. Read the instructions about removing/replacing the cover! The tabs are NOT indestructible ... they won't break if you look at them, but if you get heavy handed ....

2. After you've loaded in your primers, I hold the unit straight up, then a quick tilt to the right (to load the feed track), tilt it forward and then back to a centered position, but now angled 45 degrees away from you.

3. I usually reload the feed track every 10 rounds or so ... and I have no problem running through 50 cases in about 5 minutes.

Again, play with step #2 until you refine a process that works best for you.

Always wear safety glasses, PLEASE!!!

PS .. I like mine!
Old July 20, 2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Forrest68

I'd double check that, The shell holders from my Lee 3die sets do NOT, fit into the Lee auto primer XR I just bought. Which was very frustrating to say the least. Good luck
Old July 20, 2013, 03:31 PM   #4
blitztech

Re: lee auto prime ?

The auto-prime xr and the Lee presses use different shell holders so yes they won't fit if you're going from a press to the auto-prime xr. The OP isn't asking that though. He's asking if the auto-prime shell holders work in the auto-prime xr I believe. In which case I'd be shocked if they didn't.
Old July 20, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Forrest68

Hmm so ya have to buy seperate shell holder just to use in the auto primer. Well that makes perfect sense. Since the primer tray on the progressive can be a bit flacky at times I thought I'd get the auto primer to prime brass while I was in the A/C, but guess that isnt gonna happen now. Back to Bass Pro it goes.
Old July 20, 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
dewcrew8

Its the hand held primer .blitech thanks for reading more into it! I should have said its the hand primer unite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-07-20 16.47.15.jpg (205.2 KB, 18 views)
Old July 20, 2013, 06:53 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
Can any tell me if the shell holders for the hand primer work on the new xr model. I broke my handle on the round top one. Lee doesn't have replacement ones on the web page . So I may need to buy a new one.
Yes.

Get the Ergo Prime. Many more positive reviews on Midway. I've been happy with mine.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 20, 2013, 11:45 PM   #8
jag2

Just a thought, you can buy the same model you have on e-bay. Mine broke and I bought the xr, didn't like it. Bought the Ergo, better but still not crazy about it. Went to e-bay and bought the round one, happy again.
Old July 21, 2013, 12:55 AM   #9
blitztech

Re: lee auto prime ?

Avoid the trip to bass pro. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412...-_-ProductLink

The shell holder packages are labeled "universal" and "hand priming tool" above the words "shell holder"

the universal also states "not for use with hand priming tool"

Last edited by blitztech; July 21, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old July 21, 2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Airman Basic

Geez, guys, you can buy just about all of 'em for $20 bucks
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/566058