The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 23, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1
stevenrs1

Advice repairing Remington 870

I noticed while disassembling my 870 that the locking block fell out. I know that it shouldn't and on closer inpection noticed a hole in the side of the locking block. After consulting a parts diagram I found that the locking block stud was missing. I ordered one and have it in hand. My question is does it just push it into the hole (it does fit fairly snugly) or should I use loctite or anythig else to hold it in? Any advice from someone with knowledge would be appreciated. I do realize that in order to reinstall the locking block after the new stud is in that I will have to remove the firing pin and install it from the bottom of the breech bolt.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The stud is usually a roll or tension pin that's a tight fit and shouldn't need anything other then carefully tapping it into the hole.

If you're a belt and suspenders type guy, put a drop of Loctite Red in the hole first.

Use either a brass hammer or hold a piece of brass over the end of the pin as you tap it in to prevent damaging the end of the pin.
Wipe off any excess Loctite and allow to cure 24 hours. After curing, scrub the part with hot soapy water to clean off any uncured Loctite, lube it to prevent rust and reassemble.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
stevenrs1

Thanks for the answer. The stud I bought from Numrich fits very loosely in the locking block. In the last post I said it fit snuly but I had it in backwards and could not assemble it as clearances were off. It fits loosely (actually sloppy) the right way and once the locking block is assembled in the carrier it cannot fall out due to tight clearance. The gun seems to lock fine and I test fired 3 primers ok. I am still a little skeptical though.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
stevenrs1

Thanks again for the help. I took another 870 apart and found that the stud is not sloppy. I will return the part and get a whole locking block assembly. The locking block is too important to leave anything to chance.

Last edited by stevenrs1; November 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Buying an entire new locking block is sort of over-kill.

A cheaper way is to just use what Remington uses which is nothing more than a roll or tension pin.
Buy one from the hardware store and tap it into place. Cut and file it to length.

To get fancy you could use a short piece of drill rod that's a tight fit.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Scorch

Most 870 locking lugs are a prety sloppy fit from the factory. They lock by being rotated into position to lock into the barrel extension, if they don't have the slop they may not "find" the hole when you try to slam the action shut.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:42 PM   #7
stevenrs1

I called Remington and they said they will send me a stud that fits right no charge. Good customer service! The one from Numrich definately didn't fit right. Will post the result when it arrives from Remington.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
stevenrs1

Fixed and tested today on the skeet field. Dferiswheel was right Remington sent me a roll pin free. Thanks again for the input.