The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 13, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
ebaidjwl

.308 1895 chilean 96 mauser modelo

A couple of months ago i purchased 2 mausers. One was a standard typ 98 (i think an argentine ), the other the 1895 chilean 96 . From the get go i have been researching what caliber to go with , i wanted something new and was plentiful so i researched every little bit on it and decided to go with .308. Everybody and their mother said 96 's cant handle the cup pressure. Well today 1/13/2012 i have proved them wrong to a certain extant here is my load
Lc brass
cci primer
accurate 2230 :41.0 gr.
I have fired 10 shots with no head space issues
any thoughts
Old January 13, 2012, 09:10 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Here is why I recommend against firing those Chilean Mausers that have been converted to .308. It probably works and is safe enough; I just don't like that kind of thing when playing with 60k psi.

Jim

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...5&d=1232476324
Old January 13, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
ebaidjwl

thank you james k
I was wondering what exactly your picture is of , more info would be greatly appreciated
Old January 13, 2012, 10:11 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is a picture of a sectioned Chilean Mauser barrel that has been re-bored and re-rifled, then converted to .308 Winchester by drilling out the chamber area and gluing in a chamber sleeve. This keeps the barrel and its markings original, which collectors like.

The problem was that the 7x57 has a longer case than the .308 (aka 7.62x51). Note that 57mm and 51mm. You can't "ream out" a long chamber to make it short, no matter what anyone says. So, in order to get the rifles to work with the shorter .308, they drilled out the whole chamber, replaced it with the sleeve, then reamed that to set the headspace.

Eventually, high pressure gas will get into the crack ahead of the sleeve and loosen the sleeve. What will happen after that, I don't know for sure, but it might not be good.

It is my understanding that the work was not done by the importer, but by the Chileans themselves, when they wanted to go to 7.62 NATO but wanted to put the old rifles in war reserve, with the understanding that they would be used only in an emergency. When the Chileans released the rifles to American buyers, no one seemed concerned. And maybe there is no reason for concern, but I just don't like the idea a whole lot.

Jim
Old January 14, 2012, 01:53 PM   #5
ebaidjwl

Thank you , james
I actually rebarreled using an older remington barrel off a 700 police . So i doubt i will have the problem as your link showed ,my chamber was actually recut into the barrel not "glued in" so to speak. I appreciate your explanation otherwise i would have been guessing what happened in that picture
Old January 23, 2012, 12:22 AM   #6
ebaidjwl

new info.

So the other day at the range i noticed that the last couple rounds were stuck in the chamber and were very difficult it made it hard to rack open the bolt........ initially i thought " ok its a brand new chamber and i didnt polish it that much just cleaned it up a bit .... but now my sixth sense is telling me ... no more .. so i compared all my cartridges that were fired and from looking at all of them : the brass is still good no stretching from what i can tell .
there does not seem to be any growth in the case as far as headspace . So help me out , my guess is that when the cartidge actually goes off the initial expansion of the round is actually causing the reciever to enlargen and then shrink back once the pressure leaves but since the case isnt showing any signs im assuming its minimal but just enough to make the round stick .
Old January 23, 2012, 12:35 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

While those rifles were designed and made for cartridges of the 40-45k psi, I would not expect to see any indication of headspace problems in so few rounds. Further, excess headspace does not usually show itself in hard extraction.

I doubt very much that any safe load could cause the receiver to expand and contract that way. If the stuck cases were only the last couple and previous cases extracted OK, the problem could be dirty ammo (dirty powder) or a rough chamber. Another possibility is a badly reamed chamber with the front part larger than the part to its rear so the case swells into the front part. But that should happen all the time, not just in the last few cases.

I would try polishing the chamber and see what happens.

Jim
Old January 24, 2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Slamfire

Quote:
I have fired 10 shots with no head space issues
any thoughts
Tell us how it is doing after a 1000 rounds.