The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
PAHOGHUNTER

17/223 Rcbs Dies

I just saw a set of vintage 17/223 RCBS DIES. I believe this was for the H&R MODEL 317 ULTRA WILDCAT? Probably made late 60's early 70's. I wonder what they might be worth?
Old March 11, 2008, 08:13 AM   #2
wncchester

Worth about $25.
Old March 11, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
PAHOGHUNTER

Worth

I'm not sure where you got your info but one just sold on EBAY 3/10/08 for $51.50
Old March 11, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

eBay prices are what some people will pay when the excitement of bidding comes over them, not necessarily what they are worth to a knowledgeable shooter. That's one of the great things about eBay for a seller. You see things there all the time that sell for more, used, than you can get them for new.

Figure you have to consider what it would cost to get a custom set made today that are new? About $170 from Lee, with the tooling setup charge. I have no idea what RCBS or Redding are charging these days? You might ask them and figure out what to ask from that information? You might even get more than $51.50 in the right venue? You might not. If someone doesn't already own the rifle, they will be looking at chambering and other expenses that exceed what the loading dies cost, just to have a use for them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 11, 2008, 07:13 PM   #5
wncchester

Strongly agree with Nick. Ebay is no serious guide for the value of anything. I've seen well used Rock Chuckers go for around $175 while new ones cam be had for around $100. Other examples of price/value ignorace abound on ebay.

The market value of a used set of common dies in excellant condition tends to be about $25, tops. New ones can be had for only a little more than that.