The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 1, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
slammedsi

live from the stand 2012!

I figured I would make a 2012 version for everyone to enjoy. Deer season starts at the end of this month for Texas. I will update with dome pics this evening to get this thread rolling. Does everyone have a deer in Target for this season?
Old September 1, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2
slammedsi

Here is one of the 3 new blinds i have built this off season. This is number 3 and was loaded friday evening to be taking to its new home. 4x6 all out of wood. This one will be setting on a 8 foot pipe stand over looking a large field. Hope to be live from this stand opening day of gun season this year.

This is one of the Bucks on the hit list. Last years sheads scored a 138 3/8s. He has broke 140 this year but barely. He is 6 years old this year. So its time to end it for him if he comes around.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3
EMN89

Bow season doesn't start till October 6th in VA and I can't wait. I would love to see a buck like that where I hunt, they are there but few and far between.
Old September 2, 2012, 08:50 AM   #4
slammedsi

Speaking about bow season I need to restring my bow.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:09 AM   #5
slammedsi

Sat in the blind lastnight for kicks and giggles. Saw several nice deer, was really hoping for some hogs to come in. But they didn't show.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Saltydog235

I've sat four times to date. The moon has been bright all night long and the heat during the day has been pretty bad so the deer are staying nocturnal or so it seems. Had a good sized young 3 point come visit me on 9/2 evening hunt, dern near crawled in the stand with me. Might make it to a decent rack if he doesn't mess up and get killed for stupidity. Saw a yote the other morning but had no shot on it.

This weekend should be better for th emoon and cooler for the stander.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
slammedsi

I agree. Full moon and 99-100 temps are keeping then running at night.
Old September 5, 2012, 01:04 PM   #8
farmerboy

My friend and I sat in his back yard about three evenings ago just to see what came out. We seen 9 bucks total ( 8 eight points and a 3 pointer, one side broken off) come out and eat alittle corn we put in a trough. About 75 yards from us. They stayed about 45 minutes and then walked over to where we were after dark. They got about 15 yards to us being nosy. We ran them off and called it a evening. Hardly no acrons this year in central Tx where we live so if you feed deer it ought to be an awesome year to see alot of deer.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:22 PM   #9
globemaster3

Slammedsi, thanks for starting this up. I am going to have to live vicariously through all of your experiences this year, as I have yet to see any deer over here in Afghanistan...

I'll make it back home just in time for the late rifle season.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:12 PM   #10
slammedsi

Globe stay safe over there and get back home. Thanks for what your doing bud. Its better late then never Right?
Old September 7, 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
Saltydog235

Globemaster, thank you for your service and sacrifice, stay safe.

Sitting in the office on this Friday and looking forward to getting out of here and going to a stand this afternoon.
Old September 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #12
slammedsi

Brian Pfleuger if your around lets see what your doing this year. Have you started scouting yet?
Old September 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm around.

I don't have much time for preseason scouting. I tend to hunt the same areas, hoping the deer are still there or I try to adapt and overcome if they aren't.

My uncle bought a new house since last year with 30 some acres connected to 100s of acres of public access state land so we've got lots of new possibilities. See my recent thread for pictures of one of his brutes.

Our season starts Oct 1st this year, which is 2 weeks earlier than usual, so Season 2 of my thread will begin that morning.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:13 PM   #14
slammedsi

That's awsome,

I'm live from the stand as I type this. I will upload a pic when I get home. The wind is really getting it this after noon. Would doubt i see anything. But who knows, stranger things have happened.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:26 PM   #15
slammedsi

This is a view from the stand I'm in this evening. I'm here this evening more or less for scouting. But I did bring along my kimber team match in 38 super and my weatherby 257 just incase a yote or pig steps out.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:26 PM   #16
slammedsi

Just saw 4 deer. Three where doe's and one looked to be a first year spike. They didn't stick around long. The wind has them spooked really well.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:50 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Shoot one!

Ironically, the last thing I need is more land.

My hunting group participates in a Cornell program that includes a couple thousand acres and I have access to several other properties adding to a few hundred more acres and now my uncle's land.

Land is good, no time to learn it is bad.

Good luck out there. SHOOT one!
Old September 8, 2012, 10:47 AM   #18
slammedsi

Brian, unfortunatly gun season dosent start unfilled Nov 5th.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:51 AM   #19
Saltydog235

Sat last night on a beautiful SC lowcountry evening. Light breeze, temps in the 70's low 80's. Been reading "Lone Survivor" and trying not to nod off from relaxation. Heard one coming across the railroad tracks, I love it when they come from that direction, they don't sneak up on you that way. Came in at the perfect time, the light over the powerline and the deer's coat made it virtually invisible. It was dark enough and conditions right that I couldn't tell if it was a doe or small buck but thinking doe.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #20
rickyrick

Woohoo loved this thread last year. Of course my exploits will be pig and varmint related
Old September 16, 2012, 09:34 PM   #21
slammedsi

Rick, I look foward to your posts. I just like pics in general.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:33 AM   #22
Saltydog235

Didn't get to sit much this weekend, had to go pick up my new boat and transport it for the final installs. Friday evening was a strikeout. Saturday evening was a lot of fun. 15 minutes after I got in the stand 3 huge gobblers walked out and ate and milled around for a while. They had a trailer hen that was hanging back, might have been the maid or something.

It was the beginning of being able to take does so I thought the 7mm08 would get to bark. About 7:15pm had a slick head step out but it was alone. I was pretty sure that it was a button based on the fact it was smaller and alone. It kept looking off into the woods, I was sure either mule was stepping out or pigs were on the way in. No dice, a deer that I will refer to as Speed Goat stepped out, his little rack looked like a pronghorn with the hooks it had on it.

Didn't get to shoot but I still had a great time.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:23 AM   #23
slammedsi

That's what i like to hear. People getting out and enjoying the outdoors. Love it.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:25 AM   #24
slammedsi

Quick pic of a hog my wife shot yesterday.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #25
Saltydog235

Nice, dead pigs are good pigs.

Going to sit this evening, weather is changing and we've got off and on rain showers today so I think they'll be moving some.