The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 20, 2001, 06:25 PM   #1
redhawk44p

Your opinion please

This is a serious question. I was looking for a way to make cover scent for deer season. It occured to me that rabbit scent might work. Nothing is scared of a rabbit.
I bought a rabbit and put a pan under his cage. When some droppings accumulate I put them in a half of a bottle of water and shake them up. I then filter that through a cloth to remove any solids and put it in a spray bottle. I hang my hunting clothes out the night before a hunt and give them a light spraying with the cover scent.
Will this work or is it a bad idea? People spray fox and doe urine on themselves surely this is not any worse than that.
Attached is a pic of my new cover scent factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumper.jpg (6.2 KB, 69 views)
Old June 20, 2001, 09:13 PM   #2
Zorro

Uh No............:barf:
Old June 20, 2001, 09:27 PM   #3
CD1

redhawk,

Generally fox or racoon urine is used as a cover scent by applying it to the sole of your boots or dragging it behind you. I wouldn't spray it on my cammies. Attractants aren't sprayed on cammies either, they get hung or placed around the area you are hunting.

Seems like a lot of work to make your own, but let us know how it works.

CD
Old June 21, 2001, 06:25 AM   #4
Bud Helms

Redhawk,

I don't know if I'd want to be in the woods with prey poop scent from the most common prey around ... what about coyote, fox, etc.?
Old June 21, 2001, 09:42 AM   #5
redhawk44p

I have always wanted to bag a coyote let him come my 454 likes breakfast.
Old June 21, 2001, 09:55 AM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I know a lot of people use scents to cover their own smell but have never subscribed to the practice myself. I have, at times, crushed & rubbed pine needles on my clothes after hanging about a campfire .... usually just never bother with it.

Simplistic best bet is to watch the wind, moving directly or quartering into it. Even with a wind on your left or right, your scent won't be moved to the critters you're after - usually.

I've had deer/elk come from upwind to a place where I was smoking or had a fire going.

I think one of the reasons fox, etc. urine is used is because of the strength of those smells. Predators have a stronger feces smell than do prey.
Old June 21, 2001, 05:26 PM   #7
Bud Helms

I use turpentine on boots and around the lower portion of pant legs. Just a little dab 'll do ya.
Old June 26, 2001, 11:19 PM   #8
VonFatman

Unless you REALLY like smashing rabbit poop, I'd go to Wally world after deer season and stock up on Tink's Fox Urine. Great stuff, strong and if your neighbor, ex-wife, etc. ever pisses you off, just take an eye-dropper and place about three drops of the fox pee in the the air intake (just below and in front of the windshield) of their car...instantly "cover scents" the interior...they will think they hit a skunk, by the third day (or less) the interior is forever trashed.
Old June 29, 2001, 05:09 PM   #9
younggenious

thanx for the great idea VonFatman. It might become a regular practice for me.lol hahaha